• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My father owned a field grade Winchester Model 12. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only gun he ever owned. It was his small game, big game and defense shotgun all rolled into one. He bought it in 1960 I believe.

A thread about rust today got me to thinking that it's been a couple of months since I wiped it down. Now that shotgun has it's share of dings and dents in the stock, and the bluing has it's share of honest wear. But every time I break that gun down and separate the threaded barrel from the threaded steel receiver, I have to marvel at the quality of the engineering and the machine work that went into that shotgun. When those two halves mate together, even with only a single action bar, it's amazing how they and the fore end both lock up so precisely.

My next two wipe downs were a couple of Mossberg 500's. Now I love Mossberg 500's. And my 870 Remington. I'm not really a shotgun guy as much as I am a handgun and rifle enthusiast. But Lord, Winchester sure built a shotgun back in my father's heyday. Pop is long gone now, but he left me a lot of memories, and a treasure of a fine old shotgun.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Not much of a picture. Sorry...Luddites like me don't do them too well via phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      50.1 KB · Views: 222

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Uncle Duke, many an "old man's" shotgun has provided others with similar treasured memories. Glad you still have the gun to keep. :thumbsup:

The least I can do is rotate your picture for you:

:D

Attachments

• Uncle Duke image.jpg
      Uncle Duke image.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 185

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I hope my children feel the same way one day about one of my guns.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There's a reason the Model 12 rocks:

"The Model 12 was designed by Winchester engineer T.C. Johnson, and was based in part on the M1893/97 design by John M. Browning."

That, combined with Winchester's reputation for excellence (prior to 1964 anyway) and it doesn't surprised me that your Model 12 is a finely engineered and manufactured gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom