• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Well this the problem right here! What the MSP gives you for information is so hit and miss that really they are totally unreliable if you absolutely need a correct answer.

Yeah, the laws are very cloudy. The biggest problem is, the ones with unreliable answers are the ones approving/denying your permit!

I say go ahead and try it. I'm just saying what my experience was.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    SS 10-301.1

Several MDS members have gotten their HQL using the TX On Line course

Attachments

• dnr.jpg
      dnr.jpg
      13.7 KB · Views: 207

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Yeah, the laws are very cloudy. The biggest problem is, the ones with unreliable answers are the ones approving/denying your permit!

I say go ahead and try it. I'm just saying what my experience was.

Not really, the organization might be the same, but the person you are talking to isn't in the approving group. DNR is different than MSP even though they are closely related.

With MSP, I think it is a combination of bravado (not admitting they don't know) and giving some sort of answer since an "I don't know" would be met next with a "can you find out".

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    PA Hunter safety FAQ

Thanks for the research.

I have held a MD Hunting License every year since I have moved without issue. All I am saying, is like gungate mentioned, MSP and DNR are two separate entities.

I am happy people have successfully gotten their HQL with both Texas and PA Hunter Safety. I just bit the bullet and took the training, even though I owned several "regulated" firearms previously in PA. I didn't want to pay my MD Constituion Tax twice for a denial.

Not trying to spread false info, just sharing what I was TOLD is the correct info. They may have been wrong.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is the TX hunter course valid for the training requirement to hunt in MD? If not, I also suggest the MD hunter course. It qualifies for the HQL training and allows him to hunt should he ever want to do that.

Any hunter safety course from any state is recognized by MDDNR for a hunting license.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    :lol:Never said I knew for a fact they won't accept Texas, I said I'm pretty sure.

When I moved here from PA, I was told by multiple people including MSP that my PA Hunter Safety would not qualify and I needed a live fire. Why would an online course meet it when my in person course didn't?

Maybe the easiest answer for OP is to call MDSP and ask. They are usually pretty helpful. I could have been lied to, but that is my understanding.

MSP has no clue, the live fire is only for the actual HQL training requirement, MSP is making stuff up as they go along still. A hunter safety course from any state is accepted as and exemption for the HQL training.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    MSP has no clue, the live fire is only for the actual HQL training requirement, MSP is making stuff up as they go along still. A hunter safety course from any state is accepted as and exemption for the HQL training.

Dang.

Who do I ask for my refund?

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Is this approximately correct?

Path 1:
    Take TX online course ($30 ), get certificate
    Get finger printed (~$50)
    Online HQL App ($50)

Path 2:
    Purchase stripper lower (~$70), use #SN on the app
    Online HQL App ($50)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Path 3a:
    Take MD hunter education (Free), get certificate
    Online HQL App ($50)

Path 3b:
    Take MD hunter education online ($20), attend field day (Free), get certificate
    Online HQL App ($50)

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Worth-a-shot over in Millersville. I haven't taken a class there, but I did get my Fingerprints done there

Worth-a-Shot teaches the class the way an ex-cop from Baltimore would teach: very heavy-handed, and a poor understanding of the law. Half the class is the instructor beating you over the head about how much you didn't know and how bad you should feel for not wanting to take the state-required class. The other half -- seriously, 2 hours -- is waiting in line so that everyone in the class, one at a time, can practice clearing a gun. I cannot recommend strongly enough to avoid Worth-a-Shot's HQL class.

That said, I have heard good reviews of their private pistol instruction.

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    I have the Virginia Hunters Safety certificate I used to get my Maryland Hunting License at Walmart. Will this qualify. I read a lot on the other threads and everyone mentions TX hunters safety. What about VA? It is obviously recognized by the MD DNR.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom