• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Like most things. You only hear about the problems. No one makes threads to exclaim about a normal everyday occurrence.

That is a mouth full of truth right there... :thumbsup:

A large part of what I lost in the canoe accident was bought from other MDS members... And all via MSP transfer at the Barracks for each secondary sale. No issues in any of the transfers...

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    You can pay an extra $20.00 and use an FFL that does these type transfers. Admin wise it might be smoother for MSP Barracks that might not do many of these. It is another admin heap on that not all MSP are experts on. Law regulates how much can be charged for this type of private transfer when getting the support of an FFL that is willing to do these.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    If you go through an FFL who will do "Secondary Sales" this is what you can expect:

1. FFL WILL NOT take possession of firearm
    2. FFL will fax in application
    3. FFL will collect app fee and send in with copy of 77R-2
    4. Items required to be submitted with application:
    - Photocopy of buyers and sellers photo-ID
    - Photocopy of HQL (if applicable)
    - Photocopy of app payment or itemized list of secondary sales
    5. FFL will return the application to the seller

At that point FFL is done with process. Seller will get letter notification from MSP that authorizes transfer.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I use the Benson (Bel Air) barracks and never a problem. I think it may depend on the Trooper handling the transfer/paperwork. But from what I hear (haven't bought or sold anything private lately) they have started playing around with the hours I hope that was fixed. It was always 24/7. It was reported here on the Forum that they had gone to three days a week from 9 am to 4 pm only. Wendy stopped into the 95 barracks and asked what hours they had and was told they don't do transfers, go to Northeast barracks. MSP needs to get all the barracks on the same page with services and times that don't hinder the public from complying with the law. Chris

I dont understand why troopers are even used for such tasks. It should be a clerical job for civilians that are employed by the police or local government.

The troopers and other local police go through all of the police training and classes just to be paper pushers. That makes no sense to me

They need to be out on the street doing what they were trained to do.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I dont understand why troopers are even used for such tasks. It should be a clerical job for civilians that are employed by the police or local government.

The troopers and other local police go through all of the police training and classes just to be paper pushers. That makes no sense to me

They need to be out on the street doing what they were trained to do.

For the same reason they don't allow civilians to perform other functions involving unknown persons with firearms. The firearm involved must be vetted and the Trooper is needed for that part of the process. Do you want the State to pay two people to handle the transfer or just one? It is NOT merely a clerical job. And it would be unsafe and unwise to place a clerical person into the position when they are not armed and able to handle any and all incidents that can possibly arise in the process.

And further, The Trooper that handles the process is performing other LE Duties while he/she is there, besides firearm transfers.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For the same reason they don't allow civilians to perform other functions involving unknown persons with firearms. The firearm involved must be vetted and the Trooper is needed for that part of the process. Do you want the State to pay two people to handle the transfer or just one? It is NOT merely a clerical job. And it would be unsafe and unwise to place a clerical person into the position when they are not armed and able to handle any and all incidents that can possible arise in the process.

Ehhh I say it should all be done online and when they actual transfer takes place it should be quickly done at the MSP.

Officer verifies Serial # of the weapon to be transferred against the serial# listed online and everything would be time and date stamped. The buyer and seller could quickly E-Signature a pad after the Serial #verification is completed and the entire process should last less then 5 mins. MSP could accept Credit Card via their website. Buyer and Seller would only have to meet once........less stress on the trooper (no filing, faxing, carbons, mailing, nothing!!), and more cost effective to run the website (At least I think it would be).

Don't have to decipher handwriting, send out copies, none of that crap!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    That is a mouth full of truth right there... :thumbsup:

A large part of what I lost in the canoe accident was bought from other MDS members... And all via MSP transfer at the Barracks for each secondary sale. No issues in any of the transfers...

Your CANOE accident??? You must've only hadda' coupla' guns.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The problem is as RD said, few troopers have to engage in these duties and it's something that was dumped on them on top of about a thousand other "special" responsibilities by the state. It would be nice to see MSP do some kind of training on this for the guys working as desk officers, but I don't blame that on the individuals. However, when it becomes more than an issue of inconvenience and really bad things happen, I can assure you that MSP is anything but incompetent. Like them or not they are some of the best trained police in the country. (just not on form 77R's ;) )

Barring training, someone competent would recognize the need for a cheklist or SOP about transfers it at each barracks. At least then the stories would be straight.

Gee, maybe that would be a good thing for the Licensing Division to publish for the poor guys in the field.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Ehhh I say it should all be done online and when they actual transfer takes place it should be quickly done at the MSP.

Officer verifies Serial # of the weapon to be transferred against the serial# listed online and everything would be time and date stamped. The buyer and seller could quickly E-Signature a pad after the Serial #verification is completed and the entire process should last less then 5 mins. MSP could accept Credit Card via their website. Buyer and Seller would only have to meet once........less stress on the trooper (no filing, faxing, carbons, mailing, nothing!!), and more cost effective to run the website (At least I think it would be).

Don't have to decipher handwriting, send out copies, none of that crap!

You do realize you're talking about an organization that still uses a Lotus Notes for databases, don't you? :sad20:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I've done several transfers at the GB Barracks with no issues.

As I'm reading this, it dawned on me; we now have an MSP barracks in Annapolis!

And someone said Hogan didn't support 2A processes.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Your CANOE accident??? You must've only hadda' coupla' guns.

My canoe ... Before the accident... :D

image.jpg

Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    If you traded for another gun in his collection... That would require TWO checks for $10.00. One for each firearm transfer.

The information for where to send the paperwork is sent with the "Not Disapproved" letter to the "Transferor".

It is also readily available on the mdsp.maryland.gov web site:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx

I have transferred plenty of firearms through the MSP and I do not expect every Trooper working there to be a Firearms Transfer Expert. It is a secondary duty that was added to their job by the MGA when the law was enacted. It is not a duty that more than a few Troopers will ever have to face. They also have seen several changes in the process over the period of the last few years. The name calling in this thread is completely unnecessary. :tdown:

The gun I traded him for was unregulated, so he just handed it to me in the parking lot. Police don't need to know about it, as it's none of their business.

Name calling, bah. I expect competence from civil servants and when I don't get it, I'm pissed. If someone at work comes to me with a question, I either tell him the answer or direct him to someone who knows. I don't just tell him hogwash.

If troopers are the party that we have to go through for secondary sales, they need to know what to do. Period.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I don't know about that, but its really just appropriate titles.

Same thing goes for calling a Deputy Sheriff an "officer."

I've heard of recruits being "smoked" (PT?) for referring the Sheriffs Office as the "Sheriff's Department." It really just basic appropriate nomenclature

I was really joking, but seriously, what other law enforcement agency do you see its employees putting their hat on so perfect every time? I bet they practice the hat on head alignment as much as drawing a pistol

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If troopers are the party that we have to go through for secondary sales, they need to know what to do. Period.

Pretty much wraps the thread up. If not, the Gov should reassign the entire process to DNR, new funding, new programs. Let the Troopers actually investigate and prevent crime.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    This!:thumbsup::thumbsup::goodpost:

I did a transfer once Thru MSP. It was more hassle than I needed. I can't see the savings being beneficial ($10 vs $30-$40 for an FFL). I would much rather pay the extra $$ and have the FFL handle it. Plus you only have to meet the buyer/seller once, so there's less coordinating of schedules. Plus the MSP has more important things to do than handle bureaucratic paperwork that's been forced on them.

I'd much rather go FFL than use MSP, but not because I want to make their jobs easier. I want to make my life easier.

Understandably the MSP is undertrained in these areas, unfortunately the onus falls on us as civilians & transferees. When we go to the experts (MSP), for a transaction, what is done under their tutelage should be binding, as well as any fees paid & receipted. Anything lost is & shouldn't be our responsibility. The big problem is, the real world ain't that way & we inevitably are screwed in the end. This is not the fault of the trooper at the barrack, but their superiors & of course the rats in Annapolis.

It's not our problem MSP is undertrained in this area. If they deem it is a big enough problem then they need to work to remove that responsibility through the appropriate channels. They need to be capable, regardless if they like the duty or not at the present time.

The college park guy greets me and says, "What kinda of revolver you buying now"

That's cool they are super pleasant with you, but you are also a LEO. You will receive a different treatment than the average joe.

Officer verifies Serial # of the weapon to be transferred against the serial# listed online and everything would be time and date stamped. The buyer and seller could quickly E-Signature a pad after the Serial #verification is completed and the entire process should last less then 5 mins. MSP could accept Credit Card via their website. Buyer and Seller would only have to meet once........less stress on the trooper (no filing, faxing, carbons, mailing, nothing!!), and more cost effective to run the website (At least I think it would be). Don't have to decipher handwriting, send out copies, none of that crap!

I think this is the best idea I have heard. :thumbsup:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I guess Im lucky. Ive done two transfers. one as a seller and one as a buyer. Both at the golden ring barracks. Both troopers were knowledgeable and the process was smooth as silk.

Same experience here. Five or so transactions using the Golden Ring barracks. No problems on their end, aside from that one pistol that I was selling (bought from an IP) that was reported stolen 6 months after I bought it. :o They were more than helpful throughout that whole debacle, and the one trooper jokes with me now, asking if "this one is stolen too?" :D

You can pay an extra $20.00 and use an FFL that does these type transfers. Admin wise it might be smoother for MSP Barracks that might not do many of these. It is another admin heap on that not all MSP are experts on. Law regulates how much can be charged for this type of private transfer when getting the support of an FFL that is willing to do these.

For private sales or buys...I'll stick with the $10 MSP transfers myself.

Handgun transfers from some IP's here (info from their websites):
    Duffy's - $100
    Blue Fins - $45
    Tyler Firearms - $60 for mds members
    Engage Armament - $75
    Scott's Gunsmithing - $85
    United - $50
    Bollinger - $40
    Freestate - $85

For the same reason they don't allow civilians to perform other functions involving unknown persons with firearms.

And further, The Trooper that handles the process is performing other LE Duties while he/she is there, besides firearm transfers.

Liability issue for sure.

The one time at GR, the Sargent was directing a pursuit on I-95 while also handling the transfer....it was actually quite comical to me, the average Joe...Comical because what I would think is a big deal, regarding several Troopers chasing a car, was nothing to him...he'd hand me a paper, then give some orders on the radio, then hand me some papers, etc....I actually said, "Hey I'm in no hurry, and it looks like you're a little busy"... He said, "No problem. We'll get you outta here." :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom