• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Picked this up at a pawn shop. Took a chance on it.
    A Tula with SA stamp on the receiver D for the Finn D166 ammo
    Finn stock. Counter bore barrel. Bore is dirty but I think it will clean up.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    The bolt is matching. Floor plate is not.
    I will have to wait to get home to load up a full picture. I was having trouble on my phone this morning uploading stuff.
    They didn't have any more in the rack.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So this would be a captured Mosin from the Winter War right?
    I would assume they captured them then did very little to them right after the Winter War so they could be ready for pending action? vs. reworking as an M39 after the war?

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I would assume they captured them then did very little to them right after the Winter War so they could be ready for pending action? vs. reworking as an M39 after the war?

Yes, captured, check at the arsenal and rework what was needed then sent right back out. Some had nothing done to them based on the sources that I read.
    M39 were stopped production at the beginning of the Winter War and started ramping up the M91s as they just had to make barrels and not the receivers.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel

Yes, captured, check at the arsanal and rework what was needed then sent right back out. Some had nothing done to them based on the sources that I read.
    M39 were stopped production at the beginning of the Winter War and started ramping up the M91s as they just had to make barrels and not the receivers.

Correct, some 91/30's had no alterations except for D-166 cartridge modification. I have a 1940 Tula that is unaltered except for the SA and D stamps on the barrel. If a soldier needed a rifle, which many did, they would use whatever they could pick up from the Russians. There are photos of Finnish soldiers using 91/30's alongside Finnish Mosins during the Winter War.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    From what I read the D stamp indicates opening the throat of the barrel for the D166 which is a heavier grain fatter bullet.
    But it is only what I read so I defer to the experts.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    From what I read the D stamp indicates opening the throat of the barrel for the D166 which is a heavier grain fatter bullet.
    But it is only what I read so I defer to the experts.

Great rifle!
    You are correct. The, "D" is exactly what you think it is.

The 41 is a Continuation War capture stamp. A 40 would be for Winter War capture.

BUT, because the order to stamp these capture numbers wasn't ordered until after the Winter War had ended, no one really knew which rifles were which. So all were marked with the 41. To my knowledge, no rifles with a 40 have been found.

OP- I collect by year and arsenal. Should you ever wish to sell... I've got a hole where a Finned '32 Tula needs to go ;)

Congrats again on a beautiful rifle.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I don't believe that this is a correct statement. The D on Finnish rifles does not mean it is chambered for the Finnish D-166 round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

No, it is correct. The D was stamped when the rifle was modified to accept the Finnish D-166 round and also Soviet 7.62x54r ammunition. Do a quick a quick search and you will find multiple sources confirming this.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Great rifle!
    You are correct. The, "D" is exactly what you think it is.

The 41 is a Continuation War capture stamp. A 40 would be for Winter War capture.

BUT, because the order to stamp these capture numbers wasn't ordered until after the Winter War had ended, no one really knew which rifles were which. So all were marked with the 41. To my knowledge, no rifles with a 40 have been found.

OP- I collect by year and arsenal. Should you ever wish to sell... I've got a hole where a Finned '32 Tula needs to go ;)

Congrats again on a beautiful rifle.

Thanks

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Well, what I do know is that a 28/76 marked D-166 will not, generally, accept a 7.62x54R round, but an M39 marked "D" will shoot 54R all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

By the time the M39 was being mass produced, the D-166 was standard. M39's came off the line being able to fire 54r. The M39 bore size was also made larger than previous Finnish rifles to accommodate this. Why some were D stamped anyway, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom