• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What kind of belt do you like best?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greetings fellow patriots!

I've been meaning to create this thread for a long time, I always get side tracked; so I'm going to at least start this even if I don't put in all the info I originally wanted.

So, how important is a 'gun belt'?

Some call the stuff you carry: gear, kit, rig, EDC (everyday carry), duty-rig, or belt and holster. Whatever you call it, it's important, very. Even if you don't carry a gun for a living, or on a regular (lawful) basis, anyone who does will tell you that a good belt is very important. The heavier the gun, the more important a belt needs to be.

Why do they cost so much more than a normal belt?

A very good quality belt ($80+) will way outlast many cheaper belts ($25) and save you a lot of money in the long run. They are so expensive because they are made out of solid leather strips, thicker, much better quality leather, and use better materials in the buckle and screws. Many of the best leather belt makers offer a polymer lining that they can sandwich in between two pieces of leather. Others offer a felt, or velcro lining next to your body, this also helps to stiffen the belt, and can be used to put on top of another belt that you are already wearing for duty, or competition. If you carry for a living, or compete, I get it; but the rest of us don't need that feature. I don't like either frankly, I prefer just a normal belt made of good leather. Many belt makers also offer single or double stitching, which can also stiffen it up a bit, but good leather doesn't really need this treatment either.

Here are some comments on belts I own, have owned, have experience with, or thoughts about:

Old Faithful Holsters - They call theirs "A Better Belt" and it is. Absolutely one of the best. Very plain buckle with roller, excellent quality leather, and screws that you can adjust with phillips or flathead. Looks like they don't make belts anymore, I just left them a message and asked if they plan to do so again, to please let me know. I don't remember the price, I just remember that it was a real bargain and every bit as good as some of the more expensive belts I've had and use. I'll guess it was $80.
    http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/?s=belt

Duluth Trading - Men's 'Lifetime Belt'; it's not technically a gun belt, but so well made, and works very well as a gun belt. Listed as 1 3/8", a tad bit less width than normal 1.5" belt (pretty much standard size). $70
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/heavy-duty-leather-belt-mens-lifetime-belt-85362.aspx

GALCO MB1 Synthetic - A friend of mine also has this belt and he loves his. The material is used in saddles and horse rigging, it's ultra strong, fairly stiff, and slightly thinner than leather. It was inexpensive too, I'll guess about $30. What I don't like it that it doesn't conform over time to my body like a leather belt does, and it doesn't stretch or give at all. It's a very tough material, that is impervious to water, weather, very durable and hard to scratch. It's just not as comfortable as a leather belt. Looks like they don't make them anymore; I checked several sites, was last sold as a closeout for $23.
    gal-mb1.jpg

BLADETECH - Yes, the #1 holster maker also makes belts. It's a good belt, but uses funky allen screws, it's an ok belt, much better than anything from Walmart and I think it cost $70. Just went looking for latest price, and appears they don't make it anymore either. They now only sell a competition (nylon) speedbelt: http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?cPath=85&products_id=1073

DeSaints E25 - This is the cheapest by far of the lot, you can find it easily for $20. The reviews on Amazon are mostly positive, but that's mostly because of the price. The belt is reasonably stiff and looks ok, no screws, the buckle is permanently attached, and there is this felt like material on the back that make the belt exceptionally thick. Too thick in fact for most pants. The leather feels really cheap and it's showing unusual wear (very cheap). Not recommended.

Web belts - Also called riggers belts, CQB, or BDU belts. I've owned several of these, most are too flimsy, but I've seen some that are quite stiff and have good buckles. They are multipurpose, so if you can find one that is stiff/strong enough it's probably ok. I see images and I've seen a few folks actually using them as a gun belt, I just haven't myself, so I'll wait for others opinions. They generally are much less expensive than high quality leather belts, and are lighter weight, might be the perfect alternative. Blackhawk apparently makes a good one, prices seem to range from about $35-70.
    TE041_500_1.JPG

550 Cord belts - Also known as paracord or survival belts. I finally bought one earlier this year and wear it infrequently. It can be worn as a gun belt, but isn't stiff enough in my opinion for that dedicated purpose. The one I have is very well constructed and a tad thicker than most good leather belts. I like that it is quiet, infinitely adjustable, has a very nice buckle and tapered tip. It's a little too thick to work perfectly as designed, but there are a lot of variations of these belts out there. Kind of neat having dozens of yards of 550 cord around your waist if there is ever a need to lasso a unicorn. :)
    They seem to range from about $40, to this really fancy $100 model with a titanium buckle, they even show pictures of it being used as a gun belt: http://www.amazon.com/RattlerStrap-Paracord-Survival-Belt-Black

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The Dickies GI web belt sold at Wal-Mart is decent enough for occasional use. But with appendix carry the weight of the gun and spare mag quickly break the cheap slide lock used for the belt. For outside the waistband I havent noticed any issues (yet) with the second one I bought.

The basic 5.11 belt I bought later has been holding up fine though. But it uses a sling type buckle that you have to thread though each time you take it on/off. So those with bladder/digestive issues may want to research different buckle options.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not cheap but I have several CompTac leather belts, also am expecting one from Wright Leatherworks.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I bought my belt at the renaissance festival in Crownville, plain black, about 2" wide, good thick leather. Been wearing it everyday for the last 16 years and it is not even close to being worn out.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Love my Oakley Riggers belt. Instant chopper evacuation availability with the 1500-lb.-test-loop sewn in.

Leaves hands free for dual-wielding during the lift... Just sayin'.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I do not carry everyday since I live in Maryland. I wear a Dickies leather work belt. I get them at Walmart for about $20. They are stiff and work very well when I do get to carry. I wear one for work as well. At work, I hang my EDC light and cell phone from it. It works great.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I just got another from CrossBreed. The one I currently have is 5 years old and I wear it every day. Need a new color for my wardrobe so I got a brown one. Fast shipping also. had it in less then a week.

The basic 5.11 belt I bought later has been holding up fine though. But it uses a sling type buckle that you have to thread though each time you take it on/off. So those with bladder/digestive issues may want to research different buckle options.[/QUOTE]
    this ^

Just bought the 511 trainer 1.5. does well but I just started carrying at home.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I like my DeSantis B09. The belt is 1.75" which is max loop size for Levis. The belt fits really tight in the loops and doesn't allow any up and down movement, all without being too stiff. (Even though it is 4mm thick.) The buckle is also removable with snaps, no tools required.

I use this for IDPA only, so I can't attest to the everyday wear of it. I can say my holster feels solid during my drawstroke, even with a friction holster.

The one you evaluated is the E25 which is the "Economy" line 1.5" belt, BTW.

For everyday use, I do like the Cabellas "Roughneck" belts. Soft leather, conforms easily and is comfortable. Not the greatest belt, I'm sure, but I carry a Surefire 6P, cell phone and Buck multi-tool every workday and never think twice about it.

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I have been wearing a Beltman belt daily now for a just shy of two years and it has held up great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom