• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gents,

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know it was that corrosive. It's away from the metal items on the floor of the safe. I'll make sure to not spill the liquid/juice as I remove it. I'll look at the powered rod option, but how much does it cost in electricity to run them? A few bucks ($4-$5) per month is ok, but $20+, may look at the bulk desiccant option.

As a side note, if you know anyone in the aviation repair industry, they pack turbine engines, and other items with desiccants when they ship them. They usually throw the bags out. Unfortunately, they don't change color, but you put them on a rotation cycle.

Q

I BELIEVE mine uses ~15-20 watts. I'll guesstimate <$5 per month

Gents,

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know it was that corrosive. It's away from the metal items on the floor of the safe. I'll make sure to not spill the liquid/juice as I remove it. I'll look at the powered rod option, but how much does it cost in electricity to run them? A few bucks ($4-$5) per month is ok, but $20+, may look at the bulk desiccant option.

As a side note, if you know anyone in the aviation repair industry, they pack turbine engines, and other items with desiccants when they ship them. They usually throw the bags out. Unfortunately, they don't change color, but you put them on a rotation cycle.

Q

Sounds like Bentonite to me. Is it a gray "kitty litter" type material?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Sounds like Bentonite to me. Is it a gray "kitty litter" type material?

Well, mine are 1/8" diameter white balls. We used them when shipping JT8s and CFM engines. The mechanics handed me a half full (~20 lb) bag and said Merry Christmas. I took some small mesh bags, filled them, and kept them in my gun cases when I was storing my firearms in the cases. Then I got a safe. Still have about 5 lbs of it rolled up and duct taped in the garage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have the bulk, non-color changing dessicant, just buy a small indicating type. When the indicating dessicant changes color, bake ALL of your dessicant bags.

It won't hurt to bake them early.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Lol, I just raid the discarded equipment boxes at work. Apple puts really nice bags in their pro and monitor boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom