• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm probably going to open a can of worms with this but I'd like to see some opinions experiences with using a carbon steel frame or a stainless frame for a 1911. I am currently looking at Caspian Arms the difference in price between them is minimal, but my knowledge in metals is very limited. So pros/cons, tolerance/fit issues, anything like that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the Caspian Damascus slide will be going on whichever choice I make, after I sell a kidney.

Thanks!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Long, long ago, I recall that there was discussion about stainless steel galling but, metallurgy has come a long way since then and any such issues (real or imagined) have been resolved. Pick which ever you like and don't worry about it. I have fired many thousands of rounds through guns with either type of frame and have had no issues due to the type of metal. Fitting is far more important.

Long, long ago, I recall that there was discussion about stainless steel galling but, metallurgy has come a long way since then and any such issues (real or imagined) have been resolved. Pick which ever you like and don't worry about it. I have fired many thousands of rounds through guns with either type of frame and have had no issues due to the type of metal. Fitting is far more important.

Any thoughts on aluminum? I've heard good and bad about using it on higher recoil calibers.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I personally don't care much for aluminum frames. That is just my choice because I prefer the extra weight of a steel frame. Manufacturers such as Walther, S&W, Colt, etc. have been using aluminum frames for decades. I think that if everything is properly fitted there should be no issues with them. Improper fit and hot loads can destroy even the best of frames.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Caspian are good to go, as are most all modern designs. Most of the stories about early stainless pistols galling was because the slide and frame were not properly heat treated, and tolerences didn't take the different dimention changes at higher temps into consideration, and supposedly identical hardness made it worse, so instead of the slide or frame taking normal slow wear, both ground into each other, poor fit and lubrication probably played a part too.

DoctorBob

Jul 12, 2011
    Glen Arm
    The answer from alucard0822 pretty much cover it all. The galling of
    stainless comes from not using dis-similar metals. S&W found this out
    when their first stainless first stainless pistol (Model 60) was being
    mass produced. Those problems are long fixed.
    Both Caspian frames are fine. Both are good dimensionaly and have
    adequate case hardening. To bead blast or polish, I would pick the
    stainless. To blue, Duracoat etc. The carbon steel would be a better
    choice. Dr. Bob / Gunsmith / Free State Gun Range

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Previous posters have pretty much covered it. I've built 1911's on both stainless and carbon steel foundations. I've used several carbon and stainless Caspian frames as well. Slides have matched frame metal or have been opposite metal (carbon/carbon, stainless/stainless, carbon/stainless). My experience has been you can get good fit in any combination. Smoothest operation and tightest fit goes to carbon/carbon hands down. The trickiest is fitting stainless/stainless combinations and they tend to not be as smooth. Not bad, mind you, just not as smooth. After finish lapping a polishing process goes a long way toward smooth, tight fit.

Caspian can fit and carburize a stainless/stainless frame and slide to keep the fit close and smooth.

Thanks for the help everyone. I actually REALLY lucked out. Found a Caspian carbon frame with a Storm Lake threaded barrel and grips and beavertail on gunbroker, all parts brand spankin new for $650. I couldn't pass it up, bought it outright. Now I just have to wait until I can sell a kidney for the Caspian Damascus slide

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is generally SS sliding against SS.

Good lube solves the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom