• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I looked all through the S&W listings on the Maryland Handgun Roster and couldn't find the 686 Plus .357 listed - there are several 686 models listed, but not the Plus model. For those who don't know, the 686 Plus holds 7 rounds where the straight 686 holds 6 rounds. Am I missing something?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Im not sure. My dad has one. I bought a s&w 327 trr8. My store didnt see trr8 but the gun said 327 on it so we were golden

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I looked all through the S&W listings on the Maryland Handgun Roster and couldn't find the 686 Plus .357 listed - there are several 686 models listed, but not the Plus model. For those who don't know, the 686 Plus holds 7 rounds where the straight 686 holds 6 rounds. Am I missing something?
    I'm surprised, and if I was on my laptop, would double check using a two year old PDF copy of the roster that I have before they went to their online searchable database. I bought one (686+, 3-inch barrel) in 2012 in MD, and then transferred to my wife through a MD troopers barracks in 2013. No issues either time of course. 686+ models are available for sale at many local gun stores in MD as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm surprised, and if I was on my laptop, would double check using a two year old PDF copy of the roster that I have before they went to their online searchable database. I bought one (686+, 3-inch barrel) in 2012 in MD, and then transferred to my wife through a MD troopers barracks in 2013. No issues either time of course. 686+ models are available for sale at many local gun stores in MD as well.

Yes, the "new" handgun roster search function sucks. I also want the 3" model, and I was going to purchase it from Bud's, but if the exact model is not listed, Bud's won't send the gun - had this issue a couple of years ago when I was trying to purchase a Rock Island Armory Tactical Compact 1911 in 9mm, and Bud's wouldn't ship because none of the RIA 1911 Compact listings had the word "Tactical" in it.

The roster lists the following S&W 686 models:

686, 686 Carry Comp .38 SPL (not Plus or .357)
    686, 686 Carry Comp .357 Mag (not Plus)
    686 Mag Comp .357 Mag. (not Plus)
    686 Competitor, Hunter .357 Mag. (not Plus)
    and then there is this:
    Dist Comb Mag + 686 .357 Mag. (is this the Plus?)
    Performance Center 686-7 .38 Sup. (not Plus by name, or .357)

The roster is terribly confusing the way they list the different handgun models...

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Yes, the "new" handgun roster search function sucks. I also want the 3" model, and I was going to purchase it from Bud's, but if the exact model is not listed, Bud's won't send the gun - had this issue a couple of years ago when I was trying to purchase a Rock Island Armory Tactical Compact 1911 in 9mm, and Bud's wouldn't ship because none of the RIA 1911 Compact listings had the word "Tactical" in it.

The roster lists the following S&W 686 models:

686, 686 Carry Comp .38 SPL (not Plus or .357)
    686, 686 Carry Comp .357 Mag (not Plus)
    686 Mag Comp .357 Mag. (not Plus)
    686 Competitor, Hunter .357 Mag. (not Plus)
    and then there is this:
    Performance Center 686-7 .38 Sup. (not Plus by named, or .357)

The roster is terribly confusing the way they list the different handgun models...

handgun roster is complete ********...the way i look at it if it's listed as a semi automatic pistol any manufacturer or model should be eligible for purchase period.....i had this issue recently with a certain model that isnt listed...to go through the burden of processing a petition plus the $$$ is a waste of time and a complete infringement

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    handgun roster is complete ********...the way i look at it if it's listed as a semi automatic pistol any manufacturer or model should be eligible for purchase period.....i had this issue recently with a certain model that isnt listed...to go through the burden of processing a petition plus the $$$ is a waste of time and a complete infringement

Oh, I couldn't agree more!

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I got my 686+ 3 inch from Engage Armament in MD not too long ago, so whatever is on the roster does the trick.

Excellent choice btw enjoy!!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    and then there is this:
    Performance Center 686-7 .38 Sup. (not Plus by name, or .357)

I bet they have made transcription errors moving the information to the online database.

If you're ordering online (I know you spend time out of state), I find that Grabagun usually beats Buds prices, and is much less uptight in shipping to MD.

Remembering some of your other preferences in pistols, have you considered the Model 60 with a 3-inch barrel? Granted it only takes 5 shots in the cylinder, and one will feel the 357 recoil more acutely in the lighter framed revolver, but the size is really appealing. The 3-inch barrel also allows the 357 round to get some juice (where shorter barrels really diminish the benefit of the cartridge). I find the 686 3-inch Talo to be a bit clunky as a possible carry gun, but the slim and light Model 60 would be a cinch.

Check out this price ...

https://www.slickguns.com/product/smith-wesson-model-60-357-mag-3-5-rd-stainless-58799?mobile=true

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Glancing through this thread, was thinking the same thing then saw your post. So, I'll only add this: +1

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The Handgun Roster is Commie infringement from Bolshevik MD Democrats.

The Soviet Union fell decades ago. Time for the HRB to go.

Are any of our people sponsoring a bill? What's the cutoff date? It could save $$, still politically popular to save $.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I bet they have made transcription errors moving the information to the online database.

If you're ordering online (I know you spend time out of state), I find that Grabagun usually beats Buds prices, and is much less uptight in shipping to MD.

Remembering some of your other preferences in pistols, have you considered the Model 60 with a 3-inch barrel? Granted it only takes 5 shots in the cylinder, and one will feel the 357 recoil more acutely in the lighter framed revolver, but the size is really appealing. The 3-inch barrel also allows the 357 round to get some juice (where shorter barrels really diminish the benefit of the cartridge). I find the 686 3-inch Talo to be a bit clunky as a possible carry gun, but the slim and light Model 60 would be a cinch.

Check out this price ...

https://www.slickguns.com/product/smith-wesson-model-60-357-mag-3-5-rd-stainless-58799?mobile=true

Thanks Fidelity...I currently do own a Model 60 in a 4" barrel (just picked it up a few weeks ago) and you are right - I really love it and the weight and balance are perfect. Also have a Ruger SP101 in a 2.5" barrel - I wanted the 686 3" to first, round out my revolver collection, but also to have a .357 with a 7 round capacity. The only time I think I would carry the 686 would be if I was camping or hiking in the boonies. I'm more into semi-autos and feel it is good to have a few good revolvers in my collection, but 4" barrels are my limit :)

Oh, and I did go ahead and purchase the 686 last night, on-line. Can't wait to actually see it - I have handled the Ruger GP100 3" before, so I'm expecting many similarities.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks Fidelity...I currently do own a Model 60 in a 4" barrel (just picked it up a few weeks ago) and you are right - I really love it and the weight and balance are perfect. Also have a Ruger SP101 in a 2.5" barrel - I wanted the 686 3" to first, round out my revolver collection, but also to have a .357 with a 7 round capacity. The only time I think I would carry the 686 would be if I was camping or hiking in the boonies. I'm more into semi-autos and feel it is good to have a few good revolvers in my collection, but 4" barrels are my limit :)

Oh, and I did go ahead and purchase the 686 last night, on-line. Can't wait to actually see it - I have handled the Ruger GP100 3" before, so I'm expecting many similarities.
    Congrats on the new purchase! Great option for a backwoods camping gun.

I just got another K frame to pick up in a week, but more of a fun range gun, a 617 with 10rd capacity (22LR) and 4-inch barrel. The one that I tried at my local gun store has the sweetest trigger so couldn't resist.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/steven-visser/gun-review-smith-wesson-model-617-22lr/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom