• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I am looking for a supressor and optics ready back yard plinking rifle. I don't plan to be modifying this rifle at all from its stock configuration. Given the option of a 10/22 for $360 or the MKII for $270 what would you guys recommend?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I think you are paying too much for the FV-SR. Contact Hog Sniper. I just bought one from him. He told me that it came in yesterday. Now I just have to get up there to pick it up! I already have the 10/22 but I can't give you a comparison because I haven't shot the Savage yet. My brother has MkII Savage but it is in .22 Mag. That thing is awesome and accurate as hell...at least with him shooting it.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    FVSR will be much quieter because there is no sound escaping from the action. I have both and use the FVSR more.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I've had both a takedown and FVSR with Boyd's stock and preferred the Savage. It was much more fun and quieter suppressed. I paid $220 from a LGS and sometimes Savage has rebates on them throughout the year.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I've owned both. Sold the Savage as I hated the mag. Picked up the Ruger American rimfire in 22lc and love it as a host.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have both. As a host prefer the savage as accurate as can be and super quiet with no action noise. Had to change stock to boyds as factory one gave me a chin weld that was not repeatable or comfortable.

Last edited:

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Another possibility, just to make your decision harder. These are semi-autos:

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/64FVSR

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/64TRSR

I've recently been thinking about making a similar purchase but I've never like 10/22s, but that's me, a lot lot lot of people like them. I'm not sure if Remington still makes their AAC version of 597 (I don't think they do) or I would've gone out and picked it up already.

Thanks, I will give those a look too.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I have numerous 10/22's, one of which is a full volquartsen build, and none of them come close to bringing the consistency of my sons $200 savage. They are all very picky on their ammo. With that said the vq 10/22 shoots like butter and is a blast to take out to the range. But on paper, specifically focusing on accurate shooting, i would take the savage every day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I like them both. I shoot the savage more. I bedded it in a boyds rimfire hunter and with cci std suppressed it will shoot dime size holes at 50. My brother and I resort to putting 9mm casings on top of target stand for challenge.

I got my daughter the ruger American. If we can get that shooting the same, I will get one also for the same reason as above, magazine. My savage isn't going anywhere though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have both as well and find I shoot the Savage more often. Much more accurate and when running a suppressor you don't have to worry about the ammo. It's ridulously quiet as well.

I love my FV-SR. With a suppressor and subsonics it's quieter than a pellet gun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I love my FV-SR. With a suppressor and subsonics it's quieter than a pellet gun.

Should be even quieter.

When another forum member got their .22 can and bought my 10/22, we ran a few magazines of standard velocity and subs right in my driveway.

Both were quieter than a pellet gun, with subs - I found out why suppressors are so addicting.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I have numerous 10/22's, one of which is a full volquartsen build, and none of them come close to bringing the consistency of my sons $200 savage. They are all very picky on their ammo. With that said the vq 10/22 shoots like butter and is a blast to take out to the range. But on paper, specifically focusing on accurate shooting, i would take the savage every day of the week.

Kidd, 'nuff said.

abcabc

Nov 30, 2015
    I was going through this same choice and all of these comments made up my mind. I'm gonna get the 64 fvsr for about 200 bucks instead of the ruger for 300.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just made the choice to go Savage FV SR (was also looking at Ruger American) for a suppressor host (once my jail time ends). I have another Savage MKII, but I didn't want to mess with the unthreaded bull barrel. It is pre-accutrigger, so I had to do some trigger work on it, but it shoots lights out now.

Ordered a Leupold 3-9x40 and a Boyds laminated stock, as the factory stock kinda sucks. Should have the base weapon built by the end of next week if everything arrives on time.. :D

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010

My coworker has the tr-srr variant of the Mark ii and his is already quieter than a pellet gun without the suppressor. Once the can goes on it's "Hollywood quiet". What kind of ammo are you running? Have you tried CCI or gemtech? Maybe it's the difference in barrel lengths?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Here is my first target with the FV-SR. I mounted the scope in my home and sighted through the bore to get it somewhat close. It was almost perfect when mounted. A few clicks, then I took it to the range today.

It was really blowing today (left to right ) so not great conditions. I tried to shoot between gusts, but I really just wanted to see what the gun could do. First of all the Vortex Diamondback HS was impressive. I haven't compared it side by side with my Leupold.

The first 8 shots were really getting it dialed in at 25yds. Once I got a tight group, I moved it out to 50yds, adjusted the scope, and fired off the last 8. I am impressed and can't wait to get it out there on a nice day.

Attachments

• Target.jpg
      Target.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 485

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom