• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I don't leave any money in the checking account. Find out how much the item is, put that much plus $200 into the checking account, write checks, move on.

I only list the actual NFA items. The checking account statements suffice to cover the tiny bit of money that stays.

And I have heard that people have submitted without Attachment A and been approved.

BATFE KNOWS what you have. :)

Helpful. Thanks!

I have also heard that some are being approved when buying a Silencer without filling out the backside of page 1. I've discussed this on another NFA thread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Think about it...your first form 1 or 4 will have no A attachment. The only reason my Efiles have one is because I included it on my scan of my uploadable trust PDF.

buktseat

Shootist, Gent, Scholar
    Sep 30, 2014
    Westminster
    I am pretty sure it is 24 months, as long as no changes to the trust (adding or removing trustees).

Thanks for all the information! So in the beginning (and after 24 months lapses), who has to get fingerprinted? Is it just the primary initiator of the trust or is it everyone on it? What if my minor children are on it - them too?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Everyone who is a trustee, ie has legal access to the NFA items in the trust.

Not sure about the first time after 41P goes into affect. I have not read the actual rule, but what I have seen quoted is if there is a change to the trust or you it has been more than 24 months since the last trust transaction.

I need to read the thing.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Ok, so I'm filing as individual (No, I don't want to do a trust). What do I put in for block 8 of the form? As I'm not using a trust, I don't feel that I'm an 'authorized official'. Do I just put my name and nothing else?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Ok, so I'm filing as individual (No, I don't want to do a trust). What do I put in for block 8 of the form? As I'm not using a trust, I don't feel that I'm an 'authorized official'. Do I just put my name and nothing else?

Just put your name with no title.

If you were using a trust, you would put your name then "Grantor"

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    for suppressors on a form 1 what is everyone putting for manufacture if im building it myself? im guessing its my Trust name. just wanted to confirm.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    e-Form 1 Questions

I'm looking to e-form1 a few items via my trust and have a couple questions. it's been awhile since my last e-form1. I've scoured the relevant threads here but didn't see what I need.

1) Is there any reason to not do multiple NFA items in a single eForm1 application presuming one doesn't exceed the document number and size limitations? It seems everyone does one form1 per NFA item but perhaps those are not via eforms, or I'm mistaken.

2) In the eForm app process when "describing" the item there is a selection to be made for "unit of measure". Choices include caliber, inches, etc. This confuses me since the selection actually follows the declaration of item caliber and precedes the selection of barrel length (inches). Anyway, I went with "Caliber". Following this, there is a box to check (or not) for "My item description is not in the list, create new item". What is this? I chose not to check it as type, model and caliber were already selected or added successfully

3) the general box for description I left blank as I have done in the past. I.E. I offered no additional verbiage regarding description which was not specifically requested previously.

4) For "state why you intend to make firearm" I went with my previously successful "any lawful purpose"

5) Finally, I entered my trust info under applicant and left trade name empty. I understand this to be the proper way however in the past I have had success also entering trust name under trade name. i.e. both locations

Any input, recommendations, critiques appreciated. Thanks.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I'm looking to e-form1 a few items via my trust and have a couple questions. it's been awhile since my last e-form1. I've scoured the relevant threads here but didn't see what I need.

1) Is there any reason to not do multiple NFA items in a single eForm1 application presuming one doesn't exceed the document number and size limitations? It seems everyone does one form1 per NFA item but perhaps those are not via eforms, or I'm mistaken.

2) In the eForm app process when "describing" the item there is a selection to be made for "unit of measure". Choices include caliber, inches, etc. This confuses me since the selection actually follows the declaration of item caliber and precedes the selection of barrel length (inches). Anyway, I went with "Caliber". Following this, there is a box to check (or not) for "My item description is not in the list, create new item". What is this? I chose not to check it as type, model and caliber were already selected or added successfully

3) the general box for description I left blank as I have done in the past. I.E. I offered no additional verbiage regarding description which was not specifically requested previously.

4) For "state why you intend to make firearm" I went with my previously successful "any lawful purpose"

5) Finally, I entered my trust info under applicant and left trade name empty. I understand this to be the proper way however in the past I have had success also entering trust name under trade name. i.e. both locations

Any input, recommendations, critiques appreciated. Thanks.

1. ATF specifically stated in their newsletter to not list multiple line items for a Form 1. Each item needs its own form.

2. Nothing confusing about the caliber and unit of measurement. That is necessary for those who need to specify further. The "my item description is not on the list" is basically, you want to name your own model.
    example:
    When I did my form 1 suppressors it was funny reading the different "models" people were coming up with on that list. You could choose from those stated or also come up with your own.

swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    Hello All,

I'd like to SBR and suppress a 300blk pistol.
    if I understand all this correctly (which I probably don't)...this is what I need to do.

Fill out form 1 for SBR
    Have MSP sign off on the form 1
    mail the form to ATF
    wait.

Order a suppressor
    have delivered to Class 3 FFL.
    fill out form 4 at FFL (????)
    mail the form 4 to ATF
    wait for approval.
    go pick up suppressor.

I am sure I got this wrong.
    Also, do I need to fill out a form 1 for the suppressor as well? Or will one form 1 work for SBR and Suppressor for the same rifle?
    my brain hurts.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    For the suppressor , you are right. No form 1 needed.

Form 4 is to buy a NFA item. Form 1 is to make your own

To form 1 a SBR, you send the form 1 with fingerprints and a passport photo to the ATF.

You do not need to get approval from the MDSP.

You do need to inform your CLEO. Usually this will be your Sheriff or the MDSP

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Don'tPanic provided some good answers, but perhaps this will help you out too:

When you're thinking NFA stuff, there are two ways to get it (make your own - as long as it's not a machine gun - or buy one) and three forms that people typically talk about.

Form 1 - This is an "Application to Make and Register A Firearm." You use a Form 1 if you are "making" the firearm yourself. This can mean that you're building an SBR, SBS, suppressor (suppressors are considered "firearms" under the NFA), etc. You fill out the application, and when ATF approves it and you get your stamp back, then you make whatever it is. In your case, you'd file a Form 1 for your SBR since you're the one making it. (The ATF considers the act of turning the pistol into an SBR to be "making" a new firearm.) There is a $200 tax for a Form 1.

Form 3 - this is for the transfer of an NFA firearm from dealer to dealer. It's tax free.

Form 4 - this is an "Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm." This is what you use when you buy an NFA item from someone else (a dealer or another private person). There is a $200 tax on a Form 4.

In the case of buying a suppressor, you'll do a Form 4 (to get it from your dealer to you) and depending on if he has it in stock or it comes from somewhere else, your dealer may have to use a Form 3 to get it to him.

swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    Does anyone know where I could go to get these types of fingerprints done? The same place I went for my HQL fingerprints work? I saw something about needing an ATF fingerprint card...

Could they possibly make this any more of a pain in the arse?
    Also for passport photo I could just photocopy I assume?

Also seeing conflicting reports on what sort of police needs to sign off on this. Since I live in Baltimore, I am going to assume it will need to be MDSP that signs off?
    Really want to get the SBR paperwork going. Seems like paying the $200 is the freakin easy part.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No longer ANY sign off. You just send an info copy the proper LEO. But one knows who exactly that is. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom