• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    Ok I had a sear waaay back in the day, and sold it like a dummy the question is what is the deal when I read things about hammer and sear timing? Basically do all of them need to be timed?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Usually. If you have a HK pack that has been 'neutered' to fit on a semi-shelf it will have the front sear trip pin hole cut off. It is often relocated down and back in front of trigger to just hold the spring. See this pic of both auto pack (left) and semi-pack (right):

hkpacks.jpg

This messes up the location of the sear w/ respect to the notches in the hammer. You have to recut those notches to be 'timed' again. Its so the hammer will latch on the other sear in the right location. I don't think the auto-sear itself is modified. FWIW, I have neutered a couple pack conversions to semi-only per the ATF instructions. Most folks grind off the hammer notch that would catch the auto sear. PTR pack are this way too.

I have seen sears for sale in packs that still have the front pin location still intact. This might be questionable w/ the ATF. You best NEVER take the sear out of that pack or you will get in trouble for sure for having an auto pack that can fit in a semi-gun. But in reality, a modified/retimed pack that could take a legal auto sear could take an illegal one too I think. A registered sear is a MG and should legally protect the auto parts of the pack and gun its in but IANAL. Just like you can put a short upper on a MG and it need not be registered as an SBR.

There are registered packs done both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom