• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    Would a hand cranked gatling gun fall under the NFA (100% human powered)?
    I know that a motorized version which uses a single trigger pull or button press is considered a machine gun, but I am unsure of the hand cranked version.

Second question (and this may be a bit more difficult to answer, or may require me going to the BATFE directly for clarification), but what if a servo, piston, hydraulic, or other device was used to physically pull a trigger or otherwise activate such a firing device on a semi-auto firearm in rapid succession in order to simulate the effect of a human pulling a trigger in rapid succession... But the servo, piston, hydraulic, or other device itself was in turn activated by a single button press, or by an alternate input method?

I'll give you two examples of what I am speaking of above.

EXAMPLE 1: A human controlled remote defense turret with a semi-auto AR-15 mounted. The operator can choose to fire more that one shot (fired in semi-auto) by pressing and holding the "fire" button on the remote turret control interface.

EXAMPLE 2: A human who has lost their limb is fitted with one of the newer brain controlled robotic prosthetics available. This person takes up shooting and uses a semi-auto firearm.

In EXAMPLE 2 it is a servo actuated robotic limb which is doing the actual pressing of the trigger and firing of the firearm, not the person themselves. The person is simply giving the arm the input required to tell it to move, much in the same way the person in EXAMPLE 1 presses the button telling the remote turret to fire.

Because these are mechanical devices being used to activate firearms, and because these mechanical devices can activate said firearms in such a way to "simulate" full-auto fire even when in a 100% semi-auto state, would using such devices turn said firearms into "machine guns"?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hand cranked Gatling - believe that's not NFA, refer to Epps1919 as I know he has a gatling.

I couldn't offer any advice on your other queries.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Since you specify one input would simulate multiple trigger pulls, and not one for one, the rate would be limited only by the capabilities of the design. I can't imagine that state of the art technology wouldn't allow full auto rates of fire. ATF would little care if it was an artificial prosthesis or my fat finger triggering the fire button.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    Since you specify one input would simulate multiple trigger pulls, and not one for one, the rate would be limited only by the capabilities of the design. I can't imagine that state of the art technology wouldn't allow full auto rates of fire. ATF would little care if it was an artificial prosthesis or my fat finger triggering the fire button.

But would using a prosthetic limb which is capable of firing a semi-auto firearm at a cyclic rate comprable to a full-auto capable firearm turn that semi-auto firearm into a machine gun?
    Why or why not?

Are you saying that firing multiple shots from a semi-auto firearm mounted in a remote control turret with a single button press would make it a machine gun?
    Why or why not?
    Also, how (in your opinion) would the prosthetic limb be the same as or different than the turret mounted firearm?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *IF* somthing fires more than one shot from a single operaator input , it inherently is NOT semiutomatic, that is the definition of machinegun aka full auto.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    The original hand crank Gatling gun and replicas thereof are not automatic fire or machine guns.

Your other questions would best be answered by the ATF. But I would suspect they'd classify all forms of automation as automatic fire.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    As I recall 8 years ago there was a 3 shot burst device that was ruled illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom