• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Vallario gave us a hearing, for which I would honor him, except for his blatant "wrong count" re-vote, which deliberately screwed us in the end.

So it's simple showmanship, I fear, rather than any intention to demonstrate respect for our views, that motivated him.

My original desk-drawer comment was a reflection on Chairman Frosh's actions, or inactions, regarding bills he disapproved of. The desk-drawer veto seems to be a sop to the innate corruption of MD politicians in general. I'm curious regarding its existence and history - but too lazy to look into it myself. Anyone with further info is invited to hold forth on the subject.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Vallario may not have been an active, plotting antagonist, but he was in no way accommodating to us. Nodding off and allowing us to blow hot air is being a pacifist. He allowed his committee to be run by the democrats and screwed us multiple times, notably when he required a recount to manipulate the result of Del Smigiel's bill two years ago.

We need representation in the committees and I don't know if that is a reasonable expectation just yet.

Dumais will run the room and committee like a Nazi loyalist. There were many times last year that she petitioned Vallario to clear the room and to his credit he refused. She is much more of an enemy to our cause than Vallario, so we may be in for a real battle, even though the numbers would lead us to believe differently.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The diminution credit very well could pass. This is the one where it passed on original vote, then people were called back from their break to have a re-vote. We have also picked up 9 seats this year. I see this one passing.

I can't see them wanting to raise the spectre of that horrible night.

It's the sort of little victory we should be shooting for this session.

Real "common sense" legislation... and even better if it can be tied into a budget fix..

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Vallario gave us a hearing, for which I would honor him, except for his blatant "wrong count" re-vote, which deliberately screwed us in the end.

So it's simple showmanship, I fear, rather than any intention to demonstrate respect for our views, that motivated him.

My original desk-drawer comment was a reflection on Chairman Frosh's actions, or inactions, regarding bills he disapproved of. The desk-drawer veto seems to be a sop to the innate corruption of MD politicians in general. I'm curious regarding its existence and history - but too lazy to look into it myself. Anyone with further info is invited to hold forth on the subject.

Vallario was forced to do the recount by the leadership. When was the last time you saw both the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate sitting behind a committee chairman during a committee vote?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    He was actually very respectful toward us, letting everyone be heard and sitting there until zero-dark-thirty listening to all of our testimony. Who is going to take his place? Dumais?

He even stayed late on his birthday and accepted that we would not limit our testimony to support or oppose last year when he asked if we were willing to. He let us all fully spend our three minutes and allowed extensive Q&A by delegates. I have to give him that much at least.

Dumais is an avowed agitator.

To answer the Dumais comments, she's nothing but an elitist bluewaffle that is offended we take time off work to come and testify. She's Frosh in a dress or worse. I still like that two years ago the plainclothes MSP Sgt. asked me not to go back in the room or she'd find some excuse to have me arrested after flipping them off for changing the vote. "She wanted me to arrest you and I said 'No ma'am, he engaged in protected speech and did not make a verbal outburst'".

Vallario may not have been an active, plotting antagonist, but he was in no way accommodating to us. Nodding off and allowing us to blow hot air is being a pacifist. He allowed his committee to be run by the democrats and screwed us multiple times, notably when he required a recount to manipulate the result of Del Smigiel's bill two years ago.

We need representation in the committees and I don't know if that is a reasonable expectation just yet.

Dumais will run the room and committee like a Nazi loyalist. There were many times last year that she petitioned Vallario to clear the room and to his credit he refused. She is much more of an enemy to our cause than Vallario, so we may be in for a real battle, even though the numbers would lead us to believe differently.

Vallario was forced to do the recount by the leadership. When was the last time you saw both the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate sitting behind a committee chairman during a committee vote?

You guys know that MOM was in that backroom in his sweats and a USNA ballcap right? You did notice someone come from there and whisper to Winston Yee who then whispered in Vallario's ear and Joe was not happy about it. Yee is Vallario's Chief of Staff. You do know the reason they combined HJC and HGO was because the bill had almost no chance in HJC under Vallario, right? Vallario is no friend but he's also not 100% enemy either.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I think you mean Webster?? And he has been rather helpful and accommodating as a liaison to Vallario and the process.

My last word on Old Joe... No, he's not our nest friend, but neither is he our worst enemy... But, when all has been said, he has been as fair to us as he has been allowed to be.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I know we're content to nibble at the edges at the moment,
    but I would also like to see the bore lock requirement done away with - at least allow cable locks.

Isn't Maryland the only state left that requires the bore-locks?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    There are a lot of things we can try for, I'm sure.

All we need to do is convince Pro 2A legislators of the benefit, and get bills crafted.

And this is exactly why events like 2ATuesday are so important. People need to voice their opinions to their legislators and urge them to make a difference.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

THANK YOU!! Yeah, he sat and listened, all for show. The minimum sentencing bill was a done deal until he strong armed a couple people to change their votes and defeat it. It wouldn't have been good for defense attys. This was one of the biggest hypocritical moves pulled if safety was the issue. He gave criminals a pass and phuked us.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Vallario is not antigun per se, dosen't seem to personally care one way or the other. He is an old school politician, and has to be enough of a team player to not get removed from his Chairmanship. If you read what the Anti's themselves say about him, he is hated for being too nice to US. If for some reason he weren't Chairman, anyone who replaces him would be activly hostile to us.

His origional District loves him. He is an anti abortion devout Catholic. He suports small farmers (yes there are still some there, and the nonfarming rural residents around them largely sympathize). He is personally known to lots of his constituants to whom he was teacher and later principal. The rest of his voting with the state level Dem agenda is overlooked, and to say anything against him is like attacking everyone's kindly uncle or gandpa.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I think you mean Webster?? And he has been rather helpful and accommodating as a liaison to Vallario and the process.

My last word on Old Joe... No, he's not our nest friend, but neither is he our worst enemy... But, when all has been said, he has been as fair to us as he has been allowed to be.

Yes Webster. What can I say, he's a very Asian looking guy with one of the ultimate "Velveeta with Miracle Whip on Wonderbread" first names ever bestowed upon a male child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom