• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What about "Yeah I had that gun and I sold it to some guy, after three years I shredded the paperwork and don't now remember his name."

Or someone in the chain of custody has died and nobody knows what happened to any guns he might have sold.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The key point to that quote is this:

I think they made a point to make it sound more successful than it is. There is a whole lotta ambiguity in that little tidbit, "so long as enough information is provided."

I have no illusions that they are successful tracking and tracing 90 percent of the requests that come in - I'd bet that it's considerably lower than that.

They can look all they want - if I legally sold a gun and there is nothing that links me to the crime, anything past that is harassment. I have rights too.

I am sure they are very successful in tracking a firearm to WHO the first buyer was. But finding that person might be harder, as they may have moved, changed licenses, etc. So without a Federal ID that follows you around, hard to find John Smith who bought X firearm in 1970.

I am sure they are less successful in finding ones that have changed hands a number of times.

But if you want the police looking at you closely, go for it. I would rather be able to show them some info that says, go look for X guy. :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Keep in mind that the things I've posted in this thread are hypothetical situations - personally, I'm the guy who is going to go the extra mile to make danged sure everything is on the up-and-up because I'm with you when it comes to the idea of taking chances where firearms are concerned. It's just not worth the risk, and my ability to be able to continue to legally own firearms is VERY important to me, and it's well worth the added PIA to obey the law in order to stay on the right side of it.

sharmo2

Mar 19, 2015
    Westminster, MD
    I agree. I never realized how fragile our 2A rights are. The more I've started to get into collecting and shooting the more I realize how easy it could be to make some small mistake/error and thats it. I'm not paranoid but I too like to have all my bases covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom