• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I know folks here are fairly supportive of Henry but does anyone have a Silver Eagle? Thinking of getting one but 6 bills is a lot to put down for a .22.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I cant believe no one weighed in given the Henry fans, I may actually order one of these :)

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I shouldered one at the gun shop in Brunswick. Beautiful gun with slick action but the sights didn't line up with my cheek weld. Had to lift my head to get the sights to line up.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I bought one ... but I'm a Henry fanatic.

AFA the price, you can't get an engraved rifle for less than a grand, so 6 bills is a bargain.

If you're purely looking at it as a .22lr lever gun, buy the basic & blue Henry, or a Rossi knockoff and be done with it. It's really an investment from my viewpoint, and I bought this one as a future gift to my grandson (just now turning two) for when he 'comes of age' and 'Gramps' has properly instructed him in the safety and use of firearms.

Beside that ... it's 'purdy' ...

Attachments

• Silver-Eagle-Rifle.jpg
      Silver-Eagle-Rifle.jpg
      13.2 KB · Views: 1,225

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Browning BL-22 grade 2/3 levers have an engraved receiver and run around the same price. Very smooth action and ok cheek weld. Receivers come in silver or black. Here's one still available in silver for $560 ...

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/produ...l-22-fld-rifle-22lr-20-barrel-walnut-15-round

I would have bought it if I didn't already have the grade 2 in the attached pics (actually, it's for my 12-year old boy when legal) ...

bu7abe7u.jpg

bugu5a4a.jpg

I do think that I will get the Henry Evil Roy (16-inch carbine with octagonal barrel has a lot of appeal to me) as there is a younger son who will need his own 22LR lever in time and may want something different from big bro.

Pros in favor of the Henry Silver Eagle relative to the BL-22 ... US made, engraving is really outstanding, and an overall beauty.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    This is good and helpful advice, as many of you know I am a bit of a lever action nut have have a good selection of rifle and pistol calibers but not a rimfire gun. I also always wanted an engraved gun and this seems like a good entry level to both worlds.

I hadnt thought about the browning. What are the advantages of the the Browning over the Henry, other than being a hair cheaper.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Jimbob you are a terrible person. Do you have any idea what my wife is gonna do when she finds out about this ?

I will be sleeping in my car for weeks!

I had resigned myself to pistol purchases only..... it never ends it never sleeps. This site is bad ofr my wallet and personal safety in a sense.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Jimbob you are a terrible person. Do you have any idea what my wife is gonna do when she finds out about this ?

I will be sleeping in my car for weeks!

I had resigned myself to pistol purchases only..... it never ends it never sleeps. This site is bad ofr my wallet and personal safety in a sense.

Welcome to the dark side.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The Browning BL-22 has a shorter stroke than the Henry. I have a BL-22. I bought it used at Gunrummers on consignment for I think $375 which is a good price for a 1995 model that is in extremely fine condition except for a coulple of marks on the stock. Shoots good also although being the first and only lever gun I have I am not a good judge on levergun accuracy.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The Browning BL-22 has a shorter stroke than the Henry. I have a BL-22. I bought it used at Gunrummers on consignment for I think $375 which is a good price for a 1995 model that is in extremely fine condition except for a coulple of marks on the stock. Shoots good also although being the first and only lever gun I have I am not a good judge on levergun accuracy.

Hmmmm, by the way that Evil Roy is nice........

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    This is good and helpful advice, as many of you know I am a bit of a lever action nut have have a good selection of rifle and pistol calibers but not a rimfire gun. I also always wanted an engraved gun and this seems like a good entry level to both worlds.

I hadnt thought about the browning. What are the advantages of the the Browning over the Henry, other than being a hair cheaper.

Here is a few of the Browning BL-22 advantages

Half of the lever throw, Browning is 33 degrees, You don't have to let go of the buttstock to cycle the action. I believe the Henry is 75 degrees.
    The Brownings trigger moves with the lever, That means no pinched fingers by the returning trigger.
    The Browning has a much better fit and finish.
    The browning has a steel receiver, Not aluminum with a cover.
    Browning rides on their own name, Not someone else's that had nothing to do with the the "new" company.
    A Browning is a investment, The Henry never will be.
    All of this is just MHO. Coop

The Henry Silver Eagle to me is one of Henry's best rifles. A group of us Native Americans tried to get a Native American Tribute rifle in especially .22 WMR and that failed as "five of the leading families" could not agree with artwork, amount paid for royalties, etc. that was sensible. That was a downer as far as I am concerned. A number had volunteered everything from artwork to help advertising, stock selection, etc. Looks like I am just going to buy a Silver Eagle in .22 magnum. We had little interest in heavier calibers as the rifles were way too heavy and we did think the octagon barrel was good. Wondered what your take on your Silver Eagle was after some use?

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Henry's are very, very, nice and yes they are an Investment, no matter what the caliber. don't know about the Brownings but I have read fairly intricate to take apart.
    I have a Henry 30-30, which is a work of art, and a Miroku Winchester in 357, which is also a work of art.
    I do know Browning gets a lot of rifles made at the Miroku plant in japan, but I don't know if the BL-22 is made there.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a Henry 30-30, which is a work of art, and a Miroku Winchester in 357, which is also a work of art.
    I do know Browning gets a lot of rifles made at the Miroku plant in japan, but I don't know if the BL-22 is made there.

I have a few Miroku built rifles including my Browning BL-22 in post 6 of this thread. They are well made, fun shooters.

The new steel receiver Henry rifles made in Rice Lake, Wisconsin are another option to consider. They are lighter than the Henry brass receiver rifles (1.7 lbs less for the 357 model). Prices have been pretty competitive this summer ... although this is the last dealer running a discount on them ...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/henry/henry-big-boy-steel-357mag.html
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/henry/henry-big-boy-steel-44mag.html
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/henry/henry-big-boy-steel-45.html
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/henry/henry-30-30-lever-action.html

(note, the above is cash pricing ... they add 3% to credit card sales ... and also add a separate shipping charge)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I saw a bunch of these at Chantilly and forgot how nice they were. If a VZ58 wasn't next on my list I might spring, so many wants so few dollars, so little quality storage.

I love how they are pumping up their guns for straight wall hunting seasons? Look at some of the calibers on the list? When was the last time you saw a cape buffalo in Cleveland?

SWC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom