As we creep closer to restoring our rights...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    First-of-the-Month bump... and some thoughts...

We are in a unique position in modern history.

As responsible gun owners, and free citizens, we are being looked at as the face of problems in the country, for no reason other than a loose association to maniacs and evil-doers, connected by nothing other than inanimate tools.

But the opposition--while the minority--is highly vocal, and plays dirty through the media.

Our responsibility--as upstanding citizens--is to counter the outcry with facts, to show ourselves with respect, and to speak our peace calmly yet firmly.

Excuse a bit of a ramble here, but I've found myself answering email and posting about several of these things this morning, and I might as well put it all in one place.

When communicating to your representatives (and even the media), be polite but firm. Use facts instead of an abundance of emotion. Make your points clear and concise, and with language that can be understood at about a 12-grade/college freshman level. Be respectful, even though we disagree with many of those with whom we are communicating. Salutations showing that respect (Honored Delegate, Esteemed Senator, etc.) go a long way to getting your letter read.

We will need to be visible, as well. This may be the most critical piece, and will require the most attention to detail.

When attending group events, we will need to present our position as responsible, respectable, and respectful citizens. The opposition wants nothing more than to paint gun owners as rogue militia, or hicks, or camo-clad paranoid renegades, who are wanting to stockpile for armageddon. Dress to impress. Not necessarily suits and ties (unless that's your norm), but clean-cut, neat, and tidy makes a huge difference. Avoid "hunting apparel", gun-logo shirts/hats, camo, or anything "tactical". We want to win on substance, of course.

If visiting lawmakers, or being interviewed for the news, this presentation is a huge step to moving our positions forward. Also, be well-versed in your position, and that of the movement.

Should you be part of a larger "rally", we should take a clue from the "Tea Party" example. Name-calling, destructive behavior, rudeness, insults, and filth are the hallmarks of the other guys' events. Signs can be honest, clean, and straightforward, and informative without creating animosity. Carry a couple of plastic bags in your pockets, and pick up trash as you go. Our whole message should be about a kinder, safer society, and living it will take [metaphoric] bullets from the other guys' gun.

Just a few thoughts...

And away we go...........

Last edited:

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I was just thinking about this thread.

And I realized how quickly we went from being on the verge of CCW reform to fighting for our lives against some of the most draconian proposals in the country - a fight that's going to be uphill every step of the way.

And I wonder why this happens. Why are Second Amendment rights always teetering on the verge of collapse in "the Free State?" How weak has our position become? Is there any hope? Has there ever been any hope?

But we have to fight because there aren't any options left. You can move, but it's only a matter of time until those places undergo the same transformation as Maryland. Look at Northern Virginia and how it's transformed in the last 50 years.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

And I realized how quickly we went from being on the verge of CCW reform to fighting for our lives against some of the most draconian proposals in the country - a fight that's going to be uphill every step of the way.

And I wonder why this happens. Why are Second Amendment rights always teetering on the verge of collapse in "the Free State?" How weak has our position become? Is there any hope? Has there ever been any hope?

But we have to fight because there aren't any options left. You can move, but it's only a matter of time until those places undergo the same transformation as Maryland. Look at Northern Virginia and how it's transformed in the last 50 years.

When 75% of the state is too ignorant for rights it leaves the 25% at a distinct disadvantage.

1969sschevelle

Dec 28, 2012
    Lost Farmland County MD
    :thumbsup: nice way to put it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    For the new folk... and into the homestretch, a reminder for the coming week...

Our goals for gathering on the 1st and 5th are civil, and non-confrontational.

For the 1st, we are only involved with the House testimony, and visiting legislators (on both sides of the street). Keep clear of Lawyers Mall, as we want to isolate the Gun Control advocates (politely, of course). On the 5th, the main focus is the Senate. In addition, Lawyers Mall is permitted for a 'rally'.

The 'other guys' (and especially most of the media) would like nothing more than to find a reason--any reason--to paint us as a bunch of rebellious, redneck, camo-wearing, tacti-cuckoo hicks.

What we need to do is to dress well, and act better. Not saying "Sunday Best", but whatever you would normally wear to look like responsible, respectable, respectful citizens, who are petitioning their representatives.

Orange seems to be emerging as the "color of the day", but I would urge caution in selecting it. MSI blue would be appropriate as well.

I also recommend carrying a plastic grocery bag in your pocket, and picking up any trash you see in the area. Smokers should "field strip" their butts, and pocket them for later disposal.

We want to provide the 'other guys' with zero opportunity to say we were anything but upstanding citizens exercising our Democratic rights.

We received nothing but praise from the DGS folks for our attendance on Feb 6th... no reason not to meet that standard, at the very least.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Irregularly unscheduled bumperator...

I'm seeing more posts regarding what companies are and aren't "2A Friendly"

friendorfoe.us is the easiest way to check that (but at this point it's better to see if they have locations in other states, and if their positions are listed there).

Then, please do us all a favor and start posting the ones you confirm for Maryland!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom