• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    They can be trusted when done right.

Maryland and Diebold did it wrong and pissed away $150,000,000 of our money in the process.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Pretty F'ing sad in 2015 we can't figure out how to do SIMPLE POLLING ONLINE!

No, that would be orders of magnitude less trustworthy than in-person electronic voting. It would make vote selling/buying trivial, and remove even the most basic identity checks we have now. And then there is the whole issue with an entity stealing the election outright by cracking the system. Think China choosing who they want for President.

The only secure way is in-person voting with identity verification on properly-implemented e-voting machines or paper ballots. Any electronics or computers used in the vote must not be connected to any wide area network, especially the Internet!

Last edited:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    No, that would be orders of magnitude less trustworthy than in-person electronic voting. It would make vote selling/buying trivial, and remove even the most basic identity checks we have now. And then there is the whole issue with an entity stealing the election outright by cracking the system. Think China choosing who they want for President.

The only secure way is in-person voting with identity verification on properly-implemented e-voting machines or paper ballots. Any electronics or computers used in the vote must not be connected to any wide area network, especially the Internet!

+1000. We should NEVER use online voting and NEVER EVER use computer network collection voting. Even a hint of fraud invalidates the entire process. I don't care the cost or how long it takes, voting in person is the only way voting should happen and the machines should be a local collection machine only (can be basic electronics).

Look how easy it was to have fraud in this past MD election! And the last POTUS election was full of voter fraud.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

I'll add: Chief Election Judge from each party couriers the results of their precinct on a thumb drive (checksum or hash verified) to the central location to be verified and tallied.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I'll add: Chief Election Judge from each party couriers the results of their precinct on a thumb drive (checksum or hash verified) to the central location to be verified and tallied.

Each vote must be chain hashed so that a full audit trail exists with each vote. Possible use of gps time date and location ( roof access for uplink to transponder)

The math might work...but all this would do is detect a problem not prevent it. And it means that all the projected loser would need to do is f..k with the audit trail to get a free do over..

And all they would know is at least on vote was not recorded properly. not even fraud...

DDOS and entire election.... that's the other problem with security.... availability.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    follow up...

Md. officials pulled 35 voting machines during 2014 elections

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/md-officials-pulled-35-voting-machines-during-2014-elections/30857656

The problem with that story is:
    "....state elections officials had to pull 35 voting machines offline when voters complained their votes were being switched by the electronic machines from one party to another."

I had problems with the machine I used switching votes three times, I reported each switch to election judge, and afterwards when I called the State Board of Elections they didn't even want to listen to my complaint. They simply referred me to the County Board of Elections who did listen and told me they already knew about the problem and were sending a technician to investigate.

I wounder how many machines got pulled by people other than the state? When I voted at least one other machine at the polling place had already been taken off line before my problem, although they kept using the machine I had problems with.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The problem with that story is:

I had problems with the machine I used switching votes three times, I reported each switch to election judge, and afterwards when I called the State Board of Elections they didn't even want to listen to my complaint. They simply referred me to the County Board of Elections who did listen and told me they already knew about the problem and were sending a technician to investigate.

I wounder how many machines got pulled by people other than the state? When I voted at least one other machine at the polling place had already been taken off line before my problem, although they kept using the machine I had problems with.

And I have some simple questions:
    What happened to the votes already on the faulty machines?
    Were they valid?
    Were they counted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom