• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    So excuse this image I lifted off the internet of a paratrooper m1 Carbine with a folding stock and a flash hider.

104021_01_inland_m1_30_carbine_640.jpg

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Interesting question:

Would polymer AR lowers be considered "clones" of AR-15 lowers? They're made of completely different material and not built to the same specs (thicker in parts and/or metal inserts).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is pure stipidity. It has been on the regulated list for a while. I am not sure of the history behind putting it on the regulated list, maybe it was on the federal list during the federal AWB.

It was on the Fed list as it was detachable box magazine, bayonet lug, flash suppressor..

They just started making them without the bayonet lug and calling them something else, and they were OK.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Why would we want to talk about it before the OAG/MSP interprets/codifies this new law into the regulations? Considering Gansler and the top echelon of the MSP are politically motivated. Someone mentioned pressure could be applied to the AG via friendly legislators for clarification on these items. Anyone know what the anticipated timeline for such documentation might be? The ACLU is right-laws such as these are written so poorly allowing abuse through prosecutorial interpretation and inviting criminal entrapment of the average citizen.

I agree. We shouldn't be talking about loopholes right now before they codify the law. They can still put stuff on the list and then we will have to battle them again to take it off. No need to give them ideas right now.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    M14 is a machine gun and is covered by a billion other laws. Def not GTG.

Not really. There are Class III full auto M14s that as you stated are highly regulated. Then there are semi auto clones that are also stamped M14 by whomever produced them. The semi autos follow the same purchase requirements as an AR or handgun in MD. Regardless, come 10/1 it won't matter. Any commercial M14 type semi auto will become a thing of the past in MD. :(

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Why would we want to talk about it before the OAG/MSP interprets/codifies this new law into the regulations? Considering Gansler and the top echelon of the MSP are politically motivated. Someone mentioned pressure could be applied to the AG via friendly legislators for clarification on these items. Anyone know what the anticipated timeline for such documentation might be? The ACLU is right-laws such as these are written so poorly allowing abuse through prosecutorial interpretation and inviting criminal entrapment of the average citizen.

I agree. We shouldn't be talking about loopholes right now before they codify the law. They can still put stuff on the list and then we will have to battle them again to take it off. No need to give them ideas right now.

There was a time for OPSEC limitations on discussing loopholes, but for this year, that time has passed. Once the the bill was signed by both branches of the GA, it pretty much became safe to talk about this stuff until next year. They can't just add guns to the list by fiat, they have to do it legislatively. There is some wiggle room with some interpretations, of course, but at this point they're just as likely to come up with damaging interpretations without our help as they are with it.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Can someone explain why the m1a is banned?

Very good question! I've wondered this myself since my all-time "wish list" has always had an M1A Super Match or National Match on it. The likelihood of me coming up with a spare $2000 or thereabouts between now and Oct 1 is about slim to none.

I'm a bit confused about the "copycat" rule of the new bill though. It would appear that my Colt Match HBAR is still exempted? It's a transition model without the (dreaded) bayonet lug...

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Very good question! I've wondered this myself since my all-time "wish list" has always had an M1A Super Match or National Match on it. The likelihood of me coming up with a spare $2000 or thereabouts between now and Oct 1 is about slim to none.

I'm a bit confused about the "copycat" rule of the new bill though. It would appear that my Colt Match HBAR is still exempted? It's a transition model without the (dreaded) bayonet lug...

This has been covered. The Springfield Armory M1A and copies are one of the 45 listed regulated firearms that are now banned. Essentially everything on the regulated long gun list will now become illegal to purchase come 10/1.

Damn shame too that a 60 year old rifle is now all of a sudden too evil to be owned by the citizenry.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Today is sine die.

Any changes to the bill would have to go to the senate and the house, but they've already passed this one.

So.... they can't do anything about this one and they can't introduce new legislation to amend it.

We're fine.

...until next session, when they print out this forum thread, and use it as a guideline.:sad20:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    This has been covered. The Springfield Armory M1A and copies are one of the 45 listed regulated firearms that are now banned. Essentially everything on the regulated long gun list will now become illegal to purchase come 10/1.

Damn shame too that a 60 year old rifle is now all of a sudden too evil to be owned by the citizenry.

Yes, I realize it was on the original "regulated" list. I suppose my question is how did it end up on the list in the first place? In most configurations (pre-pimp) it's a 9.5 + lb battle rifle with a wood stock... and yet the HBAR was exempted...

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    M14 is a machine gun and is covered by a billion other laws. Def not GTG.

Not necessarily. LRB's M14 is not a machine gun, and while it is arguably identical to a Springfield M1A, it is not named as such and is also not a copy of an M1A since that itself is just a copy of the original M14.

Confused yet?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Not necessarily. LRB's M14 is not a machine gun, and while it is arguably identical to a Springfield M1A, it is not named as such and is also not a copy of an M1A since that itself is just a copy of the original M14.

Confused yet?

While I get what you are saying, I think it will be difficult to argue an LRB M14 doesn't qualify as a "copy" of the Springfield M1A.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Yes, I realize it was on the original "regulated" list. I suppose my question is how did it end up on the list in the first place? In most configurations (pre-pimp) it's a 9.5 + lb battle rifle with a wood stock... and yet the HBAR was exempted...

The M1A ended up on the list for the same reason other guns did. It was arbitrarily deemed as scary by our overlords.

spacer75

Amateur Rocket Scientist
    Jul 29, 2011
    Nice list... I was worried about the FN FS2000 (been eyeing one), but didn't realize it was affected by the 30" to 29" change. I wonder what else falls into this category, other than the upcoming Beretta ARX-100.

(Too bad about the Tavor SAR though.)

TheYetti

Apr 8, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Nice list... I was worried about the FN FS2000 (been eyeing one), but didn't realize it was affected by the 30" to 29" change. I wonder what else falls into this category, other than the upcoming Beretta ARX-100.

(Too bad about the Tavor SAR though.)

I wouldn't take this list to heart until we know 100%. If the FS2000 is GTG it JUST squeaks by. Either way I'll probably end up getting an AR10 I was planning originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom