• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Looking for any police agency's taking new recruits.

Last edited:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    City is an easy way to get in and gain experience. I know lots that have started in the city and moved to other counties. PM fivepointstar about openings in Harford Co.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Where do you want to work, what kind of policing do you want to do and have you checked the quals for your desired jobs?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I live in baltimore county, I'd really like to get in with them, but they aren't accepting apps at this time. Just looking to be an officer at this time. I'm qualified for most agency's requirements. I know I can pass the physical tests, I'm in good shape. The written tests shouldn't be an issue and I have nothing in my past that would ruin my chances

I applied to the MDTA police a few years ago, passed the written test with high score, but failed my physical test due to being very sick and not knowing. I had an infection in my chest. I kinda put the police stuff on the back burner after that, but now I feel I'm ready to go after my dream. Seems like a job I'd be good at and really enjoy

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Most places cycle their application process. For instance if they just started a class it'll be closed for a few weeks and then open up again to process for next class.

I believe most local government web sites will offer a "Notify me" type of email once the process opens up.

Baltimore City would be a safe bet however I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Keep your eyes open on the various websites for Baltimore County, MSP, MdTA, Howard, and maybe CCSD.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Thank you! I just signed up to be notified for baltimore county openings

Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend the city police? Probably the same reasons I'm thinking about. But I could probably get into that fairly easy. My girlfriends brother is a detective with them, so I'm sure he could always throw a good word in for me

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I live in Harford. I must say our sheriff's deparment is top notch. The few times I've been stopped by them they've been very polite.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why I wouldn't recommend Baltimore City?

Poor equipment, poor reputation, salary increase recently but they will be attacking and likely winning a new pension system for new hires, poor morale, poor supervision, and the list goes on and on. Go to their website and read the Commissioners report and future plan for the department. It's very telling.

There are some VERY good officers in the city. There is a chance to get a lot of knowledge and experience and do some awesome things. However when you look around at neighboring departments they typically don't rate as high.

Do as you please. Just do your research before hand.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Baltimore County/Howard County/Montgomery Co. are the hardest places to get hired, because they are the better paid agencies around MD. If you want to get going apply P.G., AA.CO, MSP, MDTA, MTA or Bmore. Don't let people tell you one place is more or less dangerous then the other, all police work puts you at an increased risk. Some places you will be working in the ghetto with back up units less then one minute away, and other places you better be able to handle yourself by yourself, because backup may be 15 miles away. I'm going to give you some real advice here, if your planning on applying to Baltimore County alone your most likely never going to get hired. If you want to be a police officer, apply to every agency that is hiring and take the first offer you get. After you've got a few years on the job its you can move around easier. Where ever you get hired make the best of it. Despite all the bad press Baltimore City officers are overall great police. And for the sheer size of the force they don't produce as many bad apples as the media would like you to believe. And last but not least, make sure you meet the minimum standards. If you've smoked weed a lot and have grimey' past don't bother applying anywhere. If you can't pass the physical tests get in shape before you show up. Good luck, and I hope you make it, its the greatest show on earth.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Do you have any college credits? Montgomery requires 60, but it doesn't have to be an Associates Degree. You could take 60 credits in anything. However you would need a Bachelor's Degree to move higher than Corporal once you're in. MD Natural Resources has been hiring lately too. No college needed.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    There has been talk the DNR police were going to be absorbed into the MSP in some fashion. I have not seen the DNR officer I know for a few weeks so I don't know if thats still being tossed around.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    There has been talk the DNR police were going to be absorbed into the MSP in some fashion. I have not seen the DNR officer I know for a few weeks so I don't know if thats still being tossed around.

Yeah I've heard that too. Just like the talk about Maryland Park Police being absorbed by PG and Montgomery, but it never seems to happen. That's been talked about for over twenty years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom