• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seeker

Seeker of Truth
    Aug 1, 2012
    Laurel, PG County, MD
    Are you in West Laurel? If so and you ever go to the neighborhood meetings at the community center take a few minutes to speak with Cpl. Beasock if he is there. I think the next meeting is next week.

I'm actually in South Laurel, but I know Cpl Beasock, as I am the liason to the COPS program for my HOA. They'd mentioned at the neighborhood watch training we took a month back that there was a community group that met regularly, but I haven't seen details of it, but perhaps I'll drop him an email and ask about it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Depends on when it was passed. There are a few still in effect IIRC.

La Plata, Rockville, a couple others I think.

Preemption means that the law supercedes ANY laws ON THE BOOKS ALREADY or that come later.

Remember, the preemption was passed due to the MoCo and Annapolis bans on selling ammunition. And it vacated those existing laws.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Preemption means that the law supercedes ANY laws ON THE BOOKS ALREADY or that come later.

Remember, the preemption was passed due to the MoCo and Annapolis bans on selling ammunition. And it vacated those existing laws.

IIRC when the preemption law was passed, it allowed restrictions currently enacated by localities to stay on the books. That' why a few localities' laws are still in place, so in those cases, preemption did not occur.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    All the agencies train their officers to issue requests in the 3rd person that sound like their requests are mandatory. Ask for a supervisor next time.

I agree with your comment. One time there was an accident in my neighborhood where a car hit a tree. For some reason a bystander was videoing the EMS crew as they removed the driver from the car. From her angle you could not identify the driver, but the PG officer came over and demanded the lady's phoe as 'evidence'. As the female office spoke to the lady another officer circled around and stood not far behind her.

As has been posted elsewhere taking video like this is perfecetly legal but the officer was able to get the lady to turn over her phone.

As the saying goes if you don't know your rights you don't have any.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    As others have said, you can carry a firearm openly or concealed anywhere on your property. This Officer most likely didn't know the law because he never took the time to research it and most agencies only dedicate a few minutes to the weapons laws here in Maryland during initial training. What training there is emphasizes a very abbreviated and incomplete version of Maryland's wear, carry, transport law.

While on patrol, I see people carrying firearms openly on their porches and in their businesses all the time. I don't bother them and they don't bother me. Meanwhile, their property is left alone and their neighbors' property gets robbed or burglarized. Guns save lives.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    As others have said, you can carry a firearm openly or concealed anywhere on your property. This Officer most likely didn't know the law because he never took the time to research it and most agencies only dedicate a few minutes to the weapons laws here in Maryland during initial training. What training there is emphasizes a very abbreviated and incomplete version of Maryland's wear, carry, transport law.

While on patrol, I see people carrying firearms openly on their porches and in their businesses all the time. I don't bother them and they don't bother me. Meanwhile, their property is left alone and their neighbors' property gets robbed or burglarized. Guns save lives.

:thumbsup:

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I'd been out there only a couple minutes handing the mail carrier a package (she came to me in the yard, I never stepped off property), and we talked for a minute about the manhunt going on. Then my neighbor was pulling in so I waited to talk to him when I saw the guy walk by, and dialed 911. Then the mail lady came back to tell me she'd seen that guy too and didn't recognize him, and my neighbor and I spoke for a few minutes. All told, I was out there for about 15 minutes total, mostly while talking to one person or another.

But regardless, I am not the type to be held prisoner for hours in my home. I don't generally carry when I'm at home unless there is some elevated threat level. I did not suspect the guy would rush me, but had the handgun just in case.

Fair enough. I don't see it as being prisoner so much as prudent. Granted in my younger years I lived in my parents' basement so had zero cell reception. Was on a late night call with a pretty lady and there were choppers and sirens and all. Walked in, grabbed a pistol and returned to my hammock. Was promptly lit up by a helo, waved and went back to my phone call. Within my rights? Sure. Good idea? Not so much. Do it again? Nope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC when the preemption law was passed, it allowed restrictions currently enacated by localities to stay on the books. That' why a few localities' laws are still in place, so in those cases, preemption did not occur.

No, the local laws stay on the books, they just are not enforceable.

The MoCo prohibition against ammunition sales is still on the books. Just takes up space in the world, not enforceable.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    You would be shocked at how many officers believe insist that "permit = concealed", even though the law doesn't recognize a difference.

Actually I am surprised that "Concealed" is not a restriction. But I still have not figured out how to fire a concealed firearm.
    :lol:

I'm a firm believer in anyone carrying in any place they are legally allowed... But the manner of carry should be considered, in terms of the location and circumstances.

You would be shocked at how many officers believe insist that "permit = concealed", even though the law doesn't recognize a difference.

+1 to both.

In relation to the second quote (and related to my rant thread) it happened today when CID was using my desk and saw a "firearm".I had to tell this person basically,"Biz owner,private property,legal".:innocent0

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    No, the local laws stay on the books, they just are not enforceable.

The MoCo prohibition against ammunition sales is still on the books. Just takes up space in the world, not enforceable.

No, you could get yourself in a heap of trouble if you don't recognize enforceable laws that PRE-DATE preemption. MoCo tried to outlaw online ammo sales AFTER preemption and it is thus unenforceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom