• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Looking to buy a semi auto .22 rimfire. Since I am a Ruger fan I will probably go with them. So which one of the various offerings would you buy EXCLUDING the high dollar over a grand models?? Also looking possibly at a Browning Buckmark.
    Personally having owned both and shot them competitively I prefer the Browning. But a lot of it is personal preference and both guns are good. The Browning grips are friendlier to smaller hands, especially the UDX and URX framed models. The 22/45 is not bad in that area, however its main fault is the mags still have to go in at the same angle as a Mk series and that is not the angle of the grip. I think the Ruger is a hair less picky for ammo but they are close. You can spend a bunch on the Rugers to make them better, but on the Buckmark the best thing you can do it actually free. Most think the Browning is better out of the box action wise but for accuracy it is a toss-up. Its like comparing Ford and Chevy.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I got a bull barrel 22/45 with the ugly plastic frame. I put a Hogue gripper on and that makes it better. But it's a good shooter.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Really just personal preference. I have a blue MKII 5" bull barrel and a MKII SS slab sided target model, a 22/45 with a Lite upper(I got it before the Lite model came out, but have yet to put it on, can't take the aggravation:) and a Buck Mark SS slab side with the URX grips. I keep coming back to the Buck Mark it's just so comfortable. And I didn't have to do an FFL transfer to get a 4" Tac Sol threaded upper. To me, that is one of my biggest gripes with the Rugers, the uppers are the receiver. And the fact I can never strip them w/0 cursing out Bill Ruger. Will have to get some Majestic kits some day.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I'd buy a stainless model. After thousands and thousands of rounds fired, my buddy wore the bluing off the grip of his Mk II.

:thumbsup:, My backstrap is completely worn and it rusts.

I always regretted not getting a 22/45 partially for the same reason. The other reason is because I ended up getting the Tactical Solutions Pac Lite upper and now I want everything lightweight. When I first got it I just thought it looked really cool and the price was right....

If I could do it over I would get the 22/45 that can take the 1911 grips.

Not once you've done it 50 times.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Its strange how easy this becomes after a few times. I thought it was the hardest thing to get back together but because it was so obnoxiously hard at first its now stuck in my mind and now I can do it with my eyes closed.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Sorry for the bump...but having recently acquired a 22/45, I'm wondering about magazine ejection from the frame. Having replaced the hammer bushing and magazine safety with a TandemKross bushing, I have one magazine that ejects properly and one that still suffers ejection problems. This magazine also requires more force to seat/insert.

Are out of spec mag tubes common?

And I just received three more new Mk 3 magazines and one of the bunch also exhibits the same ejection issues as one of the two that came with the gun. Interesting. Three of five drop free, two do not.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    MKIII target with 5.5 inch bull barrel, blued.

I have the stainless, wish I had gone with the blued. I also have 15k+ rounds through it. Broke the ejector at some point after SEVERAL thousand rounds. In fact, probably due for another one (this is a wear item so it's not a mark against the Mark). Love the gun, get yourself an "ultimate cliploader" as well.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm fed up with Ruger's stuff. I bought a 22/45 last year with a threaded barrel for my Sparrow. Never got a chance to try the can. The 2 mags that came with it would not feed 6 different kinds of ammo so I ordered 2 more from Midway. Same problem. After searching threads it seems I need to take them apart and polish them. Never had issues with my Buck Mark. None of my MK II's gave me any problems except I'll never take on apart again. Bought a Tac Sol threaded upper and have yet to try and put it on, too much aggravation. About the most F'd up design of any gun I've ever seen. Whoever designed that gun should have been shot.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Personally having owned both and shot them competitively I prefer the Browning. But a lot of it is personal preference and both guns are good. The Browning grips are friendlier to smaller hands, especially the UDX and URX framed models. The 22/45 is not bad in that area, however its main fault is the mags still have to go in at the same angle as a Mk series and that is not the angle of the grip. I think the Ruger is a hair less picky for ammo but they are close. You can spend a bunch on the Rugers to make them better, but on the Buckmark the best thing you can do it actually free. Most think the Browning is better out of the box action wise but for accuracy it is a toss-up. Its like comparing Ford and Chevy.

Yeah, I love my Franken-22/45 but I do find the highlighted part weird/unsettling

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I love my 22/45 lite. The can is still in jail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 155

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have a 5.5" stainless bull, but wished I bought the hunter. Still love it even if it is picky with ammo and mags. I am ready and willing to pick up a few parts from TandemKross or Volquartsen to make it right.

I just found a nice leather holster that is open and can work with a red dot sight attached.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Its pretty well established either pistol, Buckmark or Ruger Mk series are good. Application would be the big question. Target, competition - one would be looking at a bull or slab sided untapered barrel. Plicking, walkabouts in fields, a 4" tapered barrel. Practice companion for a 1911, 22/45. Or any of the models in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom