• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    :sad20:

Don't make the mistake of mixing and matching fundamental, enumerated, constitutionally protected rights, with referendum issues.

And lets not mistake mixing and matching legislation to enumerate it. It is no different than a referendum approach. One is direct democracy the other representative.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I believe you can only referendum passed bills to have them repealed.

The Referendum Process
    Any person or group may attempt to void an Act or any part of an Act passed by the General Assembly by referring that Act to a vote of the electorate in a General Election. This is accomplished by obtaining the requisite number of signatures on a referendum petition and submitting that petition, along with other required documents, to the Secretary of State within a specified period of time. If the legal requirements are met, including confirmation of the number and validity of voters' names, the question of whether the referred Act will take effect will appear on the general election ballot.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And lets not mistake mixing and matching legislation to enumerate it. It is no different than a referendum approach. One is direct democracy the other representative.

You are right. Let's put Shall Issue to referendum. Thing is, they need to PASS Shall Issue before it can be put to a referendum. Wish FSA2013 had gone to referendum after it was passed so I would know exactly where Marylanders stand on the 2nd Amendment, but it wasn't. I think passing Shall Issue and seeing what the citizens of Maryland do after it is passed is a good way to figure this issue out. Gun control has been used at the state and national level as a hot button topic, but it is such a small issue. I wonder how many people actually vote for their representatives solely on where that representative stands on gun control. I also wonder how many gun control nuts are really in Maryland.

Yep, pass Shall Issue and lets see if they can even get the requisite affidavits for a referendum vote, and then if they can get the required votes for the referendum.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And, as we've come to see, subjecting an enumerated Right to referendum can end badly, and should never be done in an adversarial state.

See: Washington State

Think we have already beat this horse to death, but I'll give it another whack just to make sure. lol

Thing is, you can always go to court after the referendum.

Time will tell how letting the courts determine our 2nd Amendment Right will go. We lost round one. After what the 4th Circuit did with Woolard, I'm not too optimistic, but maybe the word is getting out from the rest of the nation that us peon citizens are not going to put up with infringements on our Rights, any of them, anymore. It is my belief that any court can find legal reasoning/precedent to support the way they want to rule. That is what was done at the District Court level. So, it really comes down to how the judges feel on the subject, which SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Referendums will never work. It's those damn NRA agents :innocent0

That is the crux of the biscuit really. If there could ever be a direct vote (informed not possible regardless) my belief it would go down in flames. When people here complain that the delegates are not honoring constituents, it is really a hollow claim. We are in a huge minority in this state. One member got it right, "noise does not mean progress". One comment long ago rings true about how there never seems to be much in person public testimony supporting gun control. He correctly pointed out the anti gun view is held by delegates as the status quo position of the 5 million who don't testify. The laws are what protect the minority. Federal laws and the 2A is the only battle to be won in Maryland, your not going to get any gun rights here willingly.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Let's not fight amongst ourselves.

If y'all want to know who the real enemy is: Zirkin ran unopposed... as did a lot of Democrats. That is just one example. Delegates need to fear the voters more than M&M.

Therein lies the essential truth of the matter.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Therein lies the essential truth of the matter.
    Disagree. The reason these guys are running unopposed is because no one believes they can mount a credible challenge... and they are probably correct. This state loves its incumbents.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    That is the crux of the biscuit really. If there could ever be a direct vote (informed not possible regardless) my belief it would go down in flames. When people here complain that the delegates are not honoring constituents, it is really a hollow claim. We are in a huge minority in this state. One member got it right, "noise does not mean progress". One comment long ago rings true about how there never seems to be much in person public testimony supporting gun control. He correctly pointed out the anti gun view is held by delegates as the status quo position of the 5 million who don't testify. The laws are what protect the minority. Federal laws and the 2A is the only battle to be won in Maryland, your not going to get any gun rights here willingly.
    Actually the pro gun side usually out numbers the anti side at legislature hearings. When 4,000 people show for one side, and less than a hundred show for the other, voting with the less than hundred is ignoring the constituents.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There were barely a handful of antis who testified in the house on the 10th and they scooted after the first bills were heard. There were none who testified in the senate on the 12th

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Actually the pro gun side usually out numbers the anti side at legislature hearings. When 4,000 people show for one side, and less than a hundred show for the other, voting with the less than hundred is ignoring the constituents.

It's ignoring a vocal minority of constituents and going with the opinion of a passive majority of constituents. I don't like it but we are outnumbered at the state level.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    He was a Democrat, hand picked, and given a 100% chance of winning by 18%. Hogan was not even considered a contender until about Oct.
    Again: not the incumbent. You want to make a point about incumbents being defeated, let's at least start with incumbents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom