• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    In the post Maryland gun ban I am a bit lost as to what HK and HK-pattern rifles are banned. PTRs are banned but CETMEs are ok... what about HK94s and 91s and so forth... Can you guys please clarify a bit what's ok to own these days?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    We have Brethren Armament 94-ish guns made for us (bolts don't interchange). The problem is what MSP says and lists as banned, as opposed to what the law actually says.

Some are assault pistols, and can be bought as long guns. Some are assault long guns, but are legal as pistols/SBRs. It's a mess.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    USC & SL8s are still legal.

Attachments

• ump.jpg
      ump.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 1,222
    Feb 28, 2013
    In the post Maryland gun ban I am a bit lost as to what HK and HK-pattern rifles are banned. PTRs are banned but CETMEs are ok... what about HK94s and 91s and so forth... Can you guys please clarify a bit what's ok to own these days?

According to the naughty list, the HK-91, 93, and 94 are listed specifically. The PTR-91 is parts interchangeable with the HK version, so that's out too.

However, if you have 18 grand to spare, there was someone at the gun show in Harrisburg with a G3 for sale. That would be perfectly legal to own. After all, rifles are SO much more dangerous without that full auto switch.:rolleyes:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    According to the naughty list, the HK-91, 93, and 94 are listed specifically. The PTR-91 is parts interchangeable with the HK version, so that's out too.

However, if you have 18 grand to spare, there was someone at the gun show in Harrisburg with a G3 for sale. That would be perfectly legal to own. After all, rifles are SO much more dangerous without that full auto switch.:rolleyes:

18 grand fo a G3 is not a bad deal these days.

There are some MP5 pistols and SBRs that you can still buy as well. Full auto only costs 20-25 grand.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice UMP/USC stock there rtse4me! Not clear on how an MP5 pistol is ok, but SP89 is not, but there's no logic to be had here clearly.
    Nate - where can I see a pic of one of those Brethren Armament 94-ish? The ISH designation means it's more tactical, right? ;)

Feb 28, 2013
    18 grand fo a G3 is not a bad deal these days.

There are some MP5 pistols and SBRs that you can still buy as well. Full auto only costs 20-25 grand.

From other MG's I've seen, I didn't think that was too bad either. But not everybody has that much to spare.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice UMP/USC stock there rtse4me! Not clear on how an MP5 pistol is ok, but SP89 is not, but there's no logic to be had here clearly.
    Nate - where can I see a pic of one of those Brethren Armament 94-ish? The ISH designation means it's more tactical, right? ;)
    The MP5 and MP5k have different stock retention and bolt assemblies. They are not parts compatible.

The SP89 on the assault pistols list is an MP5k sans foregrip and stock. The HK94 on the assault long guns list is an MP5. Therefore, you can have an MP5k based rifle and an MP5-based pistol (and an SBR or AOW in either form, assuming you can avoid the copycat criteria).

The list of non-NFA HK-ish stuff you can buy right now:
    MP5k-based rifles
    MP5-based pistols
    Special Weapons PXP-10 / SP-10 pistol/rifle
    HK USC / UMP conversion rifle
    HK SL8 / G36 conversion rifle
    LUSA pistol/rifle (G3 derivative)
    Nite Scout pistol
    CETME (including the C308)
    CETME L (if you can find a builder)

Obviously, you will need to avoid the copycat criteria, too.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Do you know of any mp5k based rifles? I can't think of any.
    You can definitely get a custom build. Coharie made one once upon a time, if you feel like playing with fire. As Nate noted, Engage apparently has some Brethren Armament guns that use MP5k bolts or something.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You can definitely get a custom build. Coharie made one once upon a time, if you feel like playing with fire. As Nate noted, Engage apparently has some Brethren Armament guns that use MP5k bolts or something.

Thanks, I was thinking it would be a custom job. SBR is definately the way to go.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    SBRs have OAL problems that you will need to keep on top of. A stock MP5 is 27" out of the box, IIRC. That means a longer barrel or a longer stock.

It's really a shame to have to alter a perfectly good firearm. Just to meet a random number.

The mp5 was on my list before fsa 2013, just couldn't get it done.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    The question that I can't get answered is ....can you buy a stripped MP5 receiver for a pistol or SBR build?

Attachments

• mp5_rolled_receiver_for_hk_pis_640.jpg
      mp5_rolled_receiver_for_hk_pis_640.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 604

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The question that I can't get answered is ....can you buy a stripped MP5 receiver for a pistol or SBR build?

The list of non-NFA HK-ish stuff you can buy right now:
    MP5-based pistols
    Obviously, you will need to avoid the copycat criteria, too.

Erwos already answered your question. MP5 pistols (and SBRs) are legal. So yes.

As erwos also stated: You're going to need to run a long barrel on the MP5 to make it over 29" as an SBR though. Or pin one of those faux suppressors (or a real one:)). Speaking of suppressors a MP5SD is a little longer than a plain MP5 and would probably hit 29" w/o help. I don't have one of those to measure. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom