• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I took a few days off from work, and was finally able to work on some projects I had been saving up (I always have more projects than time). One of the projects was to make a small bench to start reloading. I've been putting of getting a press because I didn't have anywhere to put it. Now I've lost that excuse. :)

I like to keep things inexpensive, and my bench ending up being about $30. Its not to large (~2'x3' and 30" tall), but it fits where I need it. My wife only has some much patience with my taking over our office. :) It ended up being nicely heavy, and very sturdy. It's made from 10 2x4s and a box of 2.5" screws (+ wood glue). The significant joints are dado'ed, half-lapped, or rabbeted as well as glued and screwed.

Attachments

• reloading bench v1.png
      reloading bench v1.png
      15.8 KB · Views: 421
    • DSCN0525-1.jpg
      DSCN0525-1.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 431
    • DSCN0529-1.jpg
      DSCN0529-1.jpg
      30 KB · Views: 428

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Nice work indeed, but you will probably wish you had more space. You may have to find innovative ways to store things if you don't want to sleep in the garage :D

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Good work.
    I reloaded for a number of years on a desk top much the same size.
    I added some shelves behind and above the bench (better not attached to the bench-things shake and roll of during a long session even with a bench as sturdy as yours), then added bookcase behind me ( I was in an alcove on the second floor)
    If you can control "equipment mania", you will be good for quite some time.
    DocAitch

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Nice job. I don't even have the space for that. Oh what I'd give for an extra room.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would screw down (not glue) a piece of plywood. By just screwing it down, you can replace it if it gets messed up.

The seams between the boards on the top will catch and hold things. Like spilled powder and primers and small parts.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I would screw down (not glue) a piece of plywood. By just screwing it down, you can replace it if it gets messed up.

The seams between the boards on the top will catch and hold things. Like spilled powder and primers and small parts.

Better than plywood, I'd suggest a layer of tempered hardboard, i.e. Masonite. It has a smooth polished surface that doesn't collect "stuff" and can be easily replaced when it's worn. On mine, I made the top with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood then with a top layer of the masonite, which is tacked down with only small brads. To hide the edge-grain, I used a rim band of oak that frames out the top.

JoeR

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    Better than plywood, I'd suggest a layer of tempered hardboard, i.e. Masonite. It has a smooth polished surface that doesn't collect "stuff" and can be easily replaced when it's worn. On mine, I made the top with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood then with a top layer of the masonite, which is tacked down with only small brads. To hide the edge-grain, I used a rim band of oak when frames out the top.

JoeR

I already have some of the White Hardboard. I figured I would see how I liked it how it is. It will be very easy to put a top on it if I decide later.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hardboard would work well. I figured you could finish the ply.

My bench top is two thicknesses of 3/4" birch ply (I had left over from another project) with the frame made of 2x4.

I covered the top with matte white laminate. VERY easy to clean and things show up well. But not easily replaceable.

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    Better than plywood, I'd suggest a layer of tempered hardboard, i.e. Masonite. It has a smooth polished surface that doesn't collect "stuff" and can be easily replaced when it's worn. On mine, I made the top with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood then with a top layer of the masonite, which is tacked down with only small brads. To hide the edge-grain, I used a rim band of oak that frames out the top.

JoeR

Normally tempered will last a Life Time :D :thumbsup:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Yup, 3/4 inch. I once made a bench much like yours out of 2 X 6s.... bolted press down and SPLIT the boards with press while putting some ass on the handel. :sad20: Put the plywood down with washers and you're GTG. :thumbsup:

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    If you build shelves, try to mount them independent of the bench. otherwise the action of your press might make things fall off.

This came home to me last week when an orphan 5.56 round rolled off my shelf into my coffee cup. I did not notice. 30 minutes later, I threw the cup into the microwave for a minute to re-warm the coffee.

Upon the cups' removal from the oven, I heard a metallic noise in the cup, shook it and poured the contents into the sink. There was a very warm, but intact cartridge.

I figure I dodged a bullet (so to speak.)

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If you build shelves, try to mount them independent of the bench. otherwise the action of your press might make things fall off.

This came home to me last week when an orphan 5.56 round rolled off my shelf into my coffee cup. I did not notice. 30 minutes later, I threw the cup into the microwave for a minute to re-warm the coffee.

Upon the cups' removal from the oven, I heard a metallic noise in the cup, shook it and poured the contents into the sink. There was a very warm, but intact cartridge.

I figure I dodged a bullet (so to speak.)

What, no sparks in the microwave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom