• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A little info about Westminster, local Westminster officer told me it was illegal to discharge firearms within the city limit of westminster.

If it's in a zoning ordinance, you can apply for a variance or special use permit.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    I think this is true for inside most city limits. I am in the country not close to the city so not an issue. As far as the price im sure it is going to be quite an undertaking. The sea containers is a good idea though, Had not thought about that one.

squints68

May 28, 2009
    pasadena
    Does anyone know if there are regs/laws in MD and/or Carroll county, or Mt. Airy for building a private range in my home. My plan is to build a big detached garage in the next few years and put a basement underneith with a small handgun lane. Aside from neighbors complaints, which I don't forsee having any, Does anyone know of anything? Thanks for any input.

a guy i work with shoots his 22 in his basement. he lives somewhere in carroll county

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    A company, I can't recall the name, builds modular ranges out of what looks like a sea container. Includes ventilation and all the needed stuff.
    The NRA Range Source Book contains a lot of good information on range construction, ventilation etc. As long as you deal with the lead, green powder and bullet trap it shouls be safe as long as what you are shooting doesn't exceed your building and trap limits. NRA material also talks about bullet traps of sand and rubber. Each has it's good points and drawbacks. Each also requires maintenace.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you really want to go all out, put a tunnel between the house and garage. Could be precast culvert sections, or could be concrete block construction, maybe eight feet wide and high. Firing line in your house basement, backstop 50 yards (or 200?) away under your garage. Ventilator could suck air through the tunnel efficiently.

I've seen such a setup, in an underground archery range in Howard County. The tunnel was big enough to walk through.

Basements under garages are common in some parts of the country. My brother used to live in Portland Oregon, and he said it's the norm there.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Consider putting hydroninc floor heating driven by a cheap water heater filled with antifreeze into the garage. That way you can melt off the snow on the three snow days we have per year ;) The rest of the time you can use the system to heat the man-cave.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ed, You come through again. I wold imagine the cost to build under a slab like that must be pretty high?
    Applications vary, and a lot of the cost depends on the maximum span. Increasing spans require heavier gauge decking, additional structural support (until cure), additional reinforcement and thicker concrete slabs.

I'd suggest starting at about $75/SF if you wanted to offhand a porch style slab (4" "broom finished") for a budget number for the overhead/suspended slab only. The space underneath needs a floor too, so we'd have to add $4.00/SF if you just want to floor it with a rather rough crawlspace type slab (2 or 3" "screed finish") OR add $6/SF if you want a regular basement floor (4" trowel finish floor) with interior draintile. FWIW and while we're talking about it, for about the same $6/SF, you'd be real close on a garage slab (5 to 6" "trowel finish"/no drainage).

Getting someone like Dico, Diversified Concrete or some nearer to you to price the work from engineered plans is the only way to be sure.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    A company, I can't recall the name, builds modular ranges out of what looks like a sea container. Includes ventilation and all the needed stuff.
    The NRA Range Source Book contains a lot of good information on range construction, ventilation etc. As long as you deal with the lead, green powder and bullet trap it shouls be safe as long as what you are shooting doesn't exceed your building and trap limits. NRA material also talks about bullet traps of sand and rubber. Each has it's good points and drawbacks. Each also requires maintenace.

Xe (Blackwater) has one set up down in NC that's kinda neat, called the Talon. It's 2 containers joined by concrete tubes set on support stands. You can make it as long as you want. Targets run on cables through the tubes and you fire through the tube from 1 container with 7 shooting positions to the other container with a bullet trap.
    The container you fire from has one hell of a ventilation system. With the fans turned on you cannot open the door from the outside.
    I know they offer these for sale.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm not a builder, but I'd check into the legality of building a basement under a garage. If it is even allowed by code, I'd bet there are special construction considerations to be made.

My Neighbor (Frederick County) just built a 3 car garage with a basement. it's legit

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Look into cattle crossing pipes. They are designed to go under roads and are flat on the bottom to allow the cows to walk unhampered. You would need a crane to install them if you can find them. Havre de Grace allows firing ranges in their zoning as a conditional use. I would recomend making it as sound proof as possible and not advertize it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Ive been drooling over these pictures for years.
    If I ever won millions of dollars in the lottery.............

rangevault1.jpg
    Notice the large orange box on the roof by the chimney, that's an air vent for the basement range!

rangevault2.jpg

rangevault3.jpg

rangevault4.jpg
    Look to the left and you will see the range.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I cannot find it in Maryland law, but I thought I had read that discharging a firearm inside the home was not legal. Seems absurd to regulate this, I know, and maybe I'm mistaken.

Regarding building a basement under a garage, easy deal. We've built basements under porches and basements under garages. You can build almost anything you want, including a two level basement...research "suspended slabs".

Even in MoCo, you can discharge a firearm in your basement.... crazy, ain't it! Rockville Muni code even allows it!!!

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Those pics are awsome. I can't even imagine how much $$ in guns that is.

:party29:

I'd like to see what's in front of the chairs and couch!
    I can see about 10 BAR's and about 10 Thompson SMG's at $25,000+ for each one that would be well over half a million right there. Add up the rest of the guns and you could easily more than triple that number. :bowdown:

mpc31

Oct 31, 2008
    I'm not sure if anyone else saw this. There is an article on CBS Baltimore news page that a resident of the Ritz-Carlton in Baltimore wants to build their own gun range in the Ritz. The highest profile resident is Tom Clancy, who back in December bought three more condo's to give him a total of six. Wasn't sure if I should link the page, as it's an AP article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom