Tale of two knifes, you chose; one cut me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which knife would you chose to fight a Gorn if beamed up from Maryland?

• CRKT Ken Onion 'Skinner'

Votes: 8 22.2%
    • Cold Steel Voyager with Tanto Point

Votes: 28 77.8%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Very recently I received both a Cold Steel Voyager size XL (5.5" blade) in tanto, and the CRKT Ken Onion Skinner 3.75" fixed blade. Both are excellent knives and cost exactly $40 each. So I thought this would be a great comparison and opportunity for a poll.

Question is, {fantasy style} which of these two knives would you chose if you had to carry this knife in Maryland and at any moment could be beamed to an uninhabited planet to fight a Gorn! (Star Trek tribute):

CRKT fixed blade (comes with a nice leather holster):
    crkt-k700kxp-onion-unusual-hunter.jpg

or the coldsteel Voyager in tanto:

29TXT_m.jpg

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I would say the CRKT cut you (been there, done that), and would use the Cold Steel for the Gorn. Will need the extra blade length to get through.

Q

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Very recently I received both a Cold Steel Voyager size XL (5.5" blade) in tanto, and the CRKT Ken Onion Skinner 3.75" fixed blade. Both are excellent knives and cost exactly $40 each. So I thought this would be a great comparison and opportunity for a poll.

Question is, {fantasy style} which of these two knives would you chose if you had to carry this knife in Maryland and at any moment could be beamed to an uninhabited planet to fight a Gorn! (Star Trek tribute):

Totally for the tanto on both accounts! It cut me just looking at it.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I recently picked up the Cold Steel Voyager that you have (mine is the half serrated blade) and along the same lines I searched for and picked up a Cold Steel Recon 1 xl. Both have 5.5" blades. The fact that these are longer than my Marine Corps Kabar in nuts!

005.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have a spartan. The voyager cut you when it pulled closed on your finger.

If I had to, I think I'd go with the ken onion $40 knife....the Halfachance Parang(I'm stubborn like that). Out of these two, I really like the k110, handle shape, and blade shape of the skinner. If I had to fight with the knife, I'd appreciate the quick one-handed access of the skinner from the sheath. The voyager is a two-handed affair to open. If I was going for a big cold steel folder, I'm more inclined to choose the talwar
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS21TTXLS/Cold-Steel-21TTXLS-Talwar-Folding-Knife
    ...I like the blade shape better for fighting and it's got a wave-system to automatically open upon drawing it from the pocket. Again, I'm stubborn like that.

If I'm forced to choose between the two...the skinner has it. It makes a much better survival knife because of the much better steel, blade shape and handle design. It would be easier to shape a barrel out of that big bamboo they have there. If I'm surprised, the skinner would be MUCH faster to bring to fight out of its sheath with one hand than needing two hands for the voyager(or an unreliable flick with one).

The voyager makes for a cool conversation piece, but is slow to deploy and clumsy in use. The edge in this for me goes to the skinner, even with the shorter blade(if you need more reach, either can be fastened to a stick to make a spear).

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    With some practice I can now flick the Voyager open as fast as my 4 inch spring assisted Gerber. I've always carried larger than average tanto blades (folders) and been able to open them one handed. The Recon 1 is a little stiff for one hand but a little White Lightning and working the knife while watching some tv and it smoothed out. The first thing my neighbor (former cop) said when he saw it was "that's illegal" :sad20:

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have the Voyager XL tanto as my DC knife....had it sharpened at a cutlery shop....its built like a tank. Whenever I use it at work people are like..whaoo!

cb51

Well, chicken pee, if I knew I was gonna fight a Gorn, I'll take one of my bigger knives. My 12 inch Ontario with the bowie clip point ought to get his attention when shoved between his slats!
    14448277722_0d013e4850_c.jpg

Or the Matindale golock to just take his head off.

I've never really understood this modern knife thing, where if you're going into trouble, why would you want any knife that's already broken in the middle, and needs a safety device to keep the blade from folding? I guess I'm just behind the times. Don't understand this tactical nice thing at all.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I had the voyager XL as a DC, and while it was Very capable, it was also a bit long to carry comfortably.
    Using the Benchmade Bone Collector now...

Benchmade-Bone-Collector-AXIS-large-278107552

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I had the voyager XL as a DC, and while it was Very capable, it was also a bit long to carry comfortably.
    Using the Benchmade Bone Collector now...

Benchmade-Bone-Collector-AXIS-large-278107552

3.jpg

knives group shot.jpg

knives.jpg

Here's some good, big knives. If you like your bone collector, you'll love the contego. The bone collector carries in the pocket like a friggin brick. The thing is heavy and very wide. The contego is every bit as tough, but it's much thinner and easier to carry. The contego's blade is way superior to the bone collector. The cpm-m4 on the contego is absolutely my favorite knife steel...even beating the superb cpm-s110v of my manix in my uses(being less prone to chipping, with better edge stability).

The only thing I'm not as crazy about the that hump in the middle of the contego's handle, which doesn't really do anything for ergonomics. The best knife I have for ergonomics along is my spydie manix2 in cpm-s110v. The ball lock is almost as easy to use as the axis lock, and the handle itself feels wonderful. I have complete control over the entire length of the blade, including the tip on the ffg leaf-shaped blade. That's one of the things I dislike on the tri-ad lock knives and a lot of the benchmades, that your index finger is really far away from the edge, leaving you feeling less control and leverage on the near cutting edge. Spyderco does ergos right.
    IMAG5039.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom