• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    So insulation foam covered M4 profile barrels?

According to MSP.

But I have no doubt that guidance would suddenly change as soon as a manufacturer did it.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    That is the traditional definition and what defines an HBAR barrel from other barrel profiles and should be the standard that MSP applies.
    Theres a lot of things msp should use as standards but since when has that prevented them from changing thier mind at a moments notice.

Id rather not be the one that gets to test this through litigation.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have an upper from White Oak Armament that weights like 10lbs upper only barrel is big! but it doesn't say HBAR this is the reason I have concern.

General rule of thumb is .750 the entire length (or larger)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I'm not a Marylander (since mid 80s) and am sorrowed for the crap you have to go thru.

but my thought is, if you want to buy something, contact the MD FFL you'll be using and see if he will do the paperwork on it for you.

what's legal and not and what the MSP say is ok and not (or are silent on) is somewhat moot if your FFL won't do it due to confusion over the laws; but if he does do it, I'd certainly feel comfortable I was within the law.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    General rule of thumb is .750 the entire length (or larger)
    my reason for asking questions isnt to be annoying and im well aware of what common sense says..... but..... we are in md and since when does that ever prevail?

I want to see something in writing or a something that spells it out. The vagueness and assumptions are what allow msp to waffle and create/modify law. When it comes to my freedom or someone elses I dont want to go on the assumption that msp will agree with the firearms community on a definition. Thats asking for trouble.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    The OD would still be the same, so I would have to say it is.

Thanks.
    It was brilliant to pass a warm and fuzzy feelgood law with almost no definitions.
    I have a suspicion that Frosh is gonna' have a field day once he gets the reins and starts making interpretations.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The quick answer would be for someone to write a proposal to COMAR and send it in. The MSP would then have 60 days to respond to it and either approve the proposal or reject it. If they reject it, that opens the MSP to lawsuit in county circuit court at which point all information leading to their decision is open to discovery.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Damn. I purchased a "heavy" barrel that looks like the SPR on that diagram.
    Guess I'll have to keep the proof of purchase for it in my range bag.

On another note, is a heavy barrel that has been fluted still a heavy barrel?

Unless it has the M203 reduced section, I would say that would still qualify.

As well as the "Medium" profile in the picture.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Engage has HBAR marked WOA barrels

WOA does advertise they have HBAR barrels, don't know if they are marked. Maybe that is an Engage thing.

Gunsmith in WI emailed me stating they build AR uppers using the Criterion HBAR.

Following is his reply, for sure his complete upper is cheaper than what I have been seeing in MD for just a new HBAR barrel.

They vary in cost depending on the components used. I prefer to use Midwest Industries upper receivers and free float tubes.

Average cost for a 16" upper w/ BCG is usually $875.00 and, the average cost of an 18" is only $20.00 more.

Give me a call or text and we can discuss it.

Thanks,
    Tim Jensen
    Legend Ironworks LLC
    608-719

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    CITIZEN PARTICIPATION IN THE REGULATION-MAKING PROCESS

Maryland citizens and other interested persons may participate in the process by which administrative regulations are adopted, amended, or repealed, and may also initiate the process by which the validity and applicability of regulations is determined. Listed below are some of the ways in which citizens may participate (references are to State Government Article (SG), Annotated Code of Maryland): • By submitting data or views on proposed regulations either orally or in writing, to the proposing agency (see ‘‘Opportunity for Public Comment’’ at the beginning of all regulations appearing in the Proposed Action on Regulations section of the Maryland Register). (See SG, §10-112) • By petitioning an agency to adopt, amend, or repeal regulations. The agency must respond to the petition. (See SG §10-123) • By petitioning an agency to issue a declaratory ruling with respect to how any regulation, order, or statute {enforced by the agency applies. (SG, Title 10, Subtitle 3) • By petitioning the circuit court for a declaratory judgment on the validity of a regulation when it appears that the regulation interferes with or impairs the legal rights or privileges of the petitioner. (SG, §10-125) • By inspecting a certified copy of any document filed with the Division of State Documents for publication in the Maryland Register. (See SG, §7-213)

See bolded item. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom