ONLINE SURVEY - let's get some accurate numbers on application submissions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Just got called by the state police regarding my permit.

Sgt (didn't catch name). The call was extremely short and formal -- basically just asked questions and I answered them. I didn't feel like there was any benefit to rambling on or elaborating, so I gave him "just the facts."

Asked:

-- date of birth
    -- employer
    -- length of employment
    -- registered weapons collector (yes)
    -- any other carry permits (FL and VA)
    -- how many wespons do you own (not sure, about 4 regulated)
    -- he asked any others (I did my best to list the ones that popped to mind, but I really don't know unless I lay 'em out and count.)
    -- ever been arrested (nope)
    -- comsumption of alcohol (asked frequently/socially/rarely, I said rarely)
    -- ever been to shrink (no)
    -- single/married/divorced (single)

I think that's about it.

Then said (nearly direct quote):

"We are processing applications at this time, but we are closely watching the court and are awaiting a ruling."

Soooo.... does this mean good news regarding the stay of judgement telle-conference?

And forgive any typos, I'm sick as anything and trying to get the info down before I forget it.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Just got called by the state police regarding my permit.

Sgt (didn't catch name). The call was extremely short and formal -- basically just asked questions and I answered them. I didn't feel like there was any benefit to rambling on or elaborating, so I gave him "just the facts."

Asked:

-- date of birth
    -- employer
    -- length of employment
    -- registered weapons collector (yes)
    -- any other carry permits (FL and VA)
    -- how many wespons do you own (not sure, about 4 regulated)
    -- he asked any others (I did my best to list the ones that popped to mind, but I really don't know unless I lay 'em out and count.)
    -- ever been arrested (nope)
    -- comsumption of alcohol (asked frequently/socially/rarely, I said rarely)
    -- ever been to shrink (no)
    -- single/married/divorced (single)

I think that's about it.

Then said (nearly direct quote):

"We are processing applications at this time, but we are closely watching the court and are awaiting a ruling."

Soooo.... does this mean good news regarding the stay of judgement telle-conference?

And forgive any typos, I'm sick as anything and trying to get the info down before I forget it.

We'll see what comes of it. Just because they are processing doesn't mean they will do final adjudication until the court comes through one way or the other. They can do all the legwork now, though.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Done,but consider this, if the worst happens, MSP will revoke the permit and not only will you loose your permit and money, you won't be able to get any another states permit because yours was revoked byMSP and if you already have another states permit, it will automatically be void!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would that happen?

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Uh, yeah never heard that one... :confused:

I think he is referring to some states asking if you have ever had another state revoke a permit. I wouldn't worry anything about it. Even if that were the case, it would be pertaining to reasons that would preclude you from getting a permit in the first place. Just someone asserting something that is not true or substantiated.

If MD denies our permits, it is not for a reason that other "Shall Issue" states would not consider as the reason MD would deny our permit is not applicable to Shall Issue states, i.e. G&S.

Remember, this is the internet, a large percentage of what people assert is just that, an assertion and is not backed by fact.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Prevailing opinions are if you can afford it, do so. By afford it, it means the permit app fees should not compromise your ability to pay your rent/mortgage, buy groceries etc.

If you don't have "discretionary" income, wait to see how this plays out. We have time certainly.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    If it were me....... With a temporary STAY in place as of last Friday I would still apply but I would take my time doing so. The earliest we may see this stay go away could be June. Right now MSP have every right to dis-approve apps. We don't know if they are going to do that or not but it is certain that they are not going to approve them without G&S reasons any time soon. Still up to you just my thoughts on it.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I already applied. I think with the temporary stay in place it would be wise to wait a little bit.

If they decide to speed-deny me, I am going to try to keep my application alive by appealing.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    so should someone apply now or wait

If you can afford to, apply now. Every person that requests a CCW runs down the 98% issue rate that claim they have when in court. Also depending on the time line of how the next few things happen, you may get a CCW much sooner then others assuming it goes our way.

When people do not apply the state looks at that as people are not interested in getting a CCW. They would never take a pole or put it to a vote. So when someone submits their application that is like voting, or the closest thing we can come close to a CCW vote in this state. Help me out group. Does every feel this way?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    If you can afford to, apply now. Every person that requests a CCW runs down the 98% issue rate that claim they have when in court. Also depending on the time line of how the next few things happen, you may get a CCW much sooner then others assuming it goes our way.

When people do not apply the state looks at that as people are not interested in getting a CCW. They would never take a pole or put it to a vote. So when someone submits their application that is like voting, or the closest thing we can come close to a CCW vote in this state. Help me out group. Does every feel this way?

Pretty much. There is a calculus going on here in political and legal terms. The state has argued people don't want a permit, and that their rate of approval is really high. We cannot just claim it false, we need to prove it false.

Likewise, politicians will ask for and get a rundown on the numbers. I'm not even caring if they get rid of G&S legislatively anymore - it's a dead letter already. I want them to see the effects of new legislation on our group. Every law that affects carry from here going forward will include the mandatory analysis of effect - this will need to include the number of people affected. Getting this number higher is our first order of business.

Realistically, MSI is about getting shall-issue in Maryland in real and practical terms. That means we're looking at all the angles. This is a big one, but not the only one.

In case everyone hasn't caught on, we've changed our approach to the state. We're no longer begging them to respect our rights, we're actively preparing to defend the right we have. Big difference. It still requires political pressure, but it's clear that the pressure has gone up recently on the legislators. By this time next year, we want it much, much higher. The best way to keep the laws off our backs is to stop them before they start.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I sent my MD CCW application in yesterday.

I am a little confused about one thing.

I keep reading in these forums that a stay is in place.

However, according to my reading of the Woolard et al v. Sheridan et al case files, on 2012-03-30 Judge Legg ordered,

"...1. The defendants, their officers, agents, and employees are hereby
    pennanently enjoined from enforcing § 5-306(a)(5)(ii) of the Public Safety Article of the Maryland Code, which conditions eligibility for a handgun wear-ing carry permit on a finding that an applicant "has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" (the "Good and Substantial Reason Requirement.") With the exception of the Good and Substantial Reason Requirement, the remainder of § 5-306 of
    the Public Safety Article remains valid and is unaffected by this Order...".

Has that part of the court's order been stayed, and if so, by whom?

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I sent my MD CCW application in yesterday.

I am a little confused about one thing.

I keep reading in these forums that a stay is in place.

However, according to my reading of the Woolard et al v. Sheridan et al case files, on 2012-03-30 Judge Legg ordered,

"...1. The defendants, their officers, agents, and employees are hereby
    pennanently enjoined from enforcing § 5-306(a)(5)(ii) of the Public Safety Article of the Maryland Code, which conditions eligibility for a handgun wear-ing carry permit on a finding that an applicant "has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" (the "Good and Substantial Reason Requirement.") With the exception of the Good and Substantial Reason Requirement, the remainder of § 5-306 of
    the Public Safety Article remains valid and is unaffected by this Order...".

Has that part of the court's order been stayed, and if so, by whom?

The Judge stayed the ruling for about a month until the State and the Plaintiffs can argue for/against a 'permanent' stay that would last until the case gets to the appeals court.

(As is my vary basic understanding.)

Anywho, waiting game as usual. The battle now is making sure that no BS gets put into law while the legislature is still in session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom