• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    Read closely

We have many activities during the year. On the 23rd and 24th, we are hosting a Garand match. We also have a fishing rodeo for the kids, an old soldiers dinner, turkey shoots, a crab feast, and range privelages usually once a month except during hunting season. The range is for club members as a group. No individuals allowed.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I just spoke to a long time member yesterday about this. He said that the ranges are primarily for military and LEO training, but that the club gets about 1 pistol range day per month and about 4 rifle range days per year. The pistol is lead free ammo only, so it hardly gets used. The rifle is regular stuff. There are 2 rifle ranges, a 300yd and a 600yd. Membership is $35 I think, and you are required to belong to the NRA. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month, and it sounds like a pretty good group of folks. He did mention the opportunity to join another range at a reduced price. It is likely the one mentioned earlier in the thread. They have other functions as well, that sound pretty cool like the old vet dinner, a crab feast, etc. I am not sure who membership is offered to though. As a DoD employee and dependent, I did not bother to ask since I knew I qualified.

Now, about getting on base. You cannot access the ranges without going through the base and the main gate. However, all you need to access post is a valid driver's license, proof of registration and proof of insurance. You can transport your weapons to the range, but you will be asked about them by the contract security at the gate. They might freak out because most of them are mindless drones with the backbone of an earthworm. They will call the police dept (and likely talk to me) and we will explain the policies to them...again. Those policies are below to transport firearms onto the post:

All firearms must be in containers (gun cases, range bags, etc) and be unloaded.

All ammo must be stored separately from the firearms. No loaded magazines, no ammo in the range bag if you have firearms in it. A good example is to put the firearms in the trunk and the ammo in the seat.

Declare your guns to the gate guards if and when they begin to search your vehicle. The searches are random, but if you do not have a military ID, you will get searched. Just tell the gate guards that you belong to the club and that you are attending an organized shoot at the ranges. Make sure you declare your firearms, ammunition, and intent to the guards if/when you get searched.

No banned or illegal firearms. No class III stuff. The club does not allow it. I know they dont because the base wont allow it. Dont be dumb enough to try to carry concealed on post. You WILL BE ARRESTED AT THE GATE. No questions asked. Your CCW permit (if you are lucky enough to have one) does not apply on post. Even the Ft Meade P.D. is not supposed to carry in plain clothes on post, unless they are on duty.

Follow those rules and all will be well.

I think I will join.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    If you have any questions about bringing weapons onto the base, you can ask in this thread, send me a PM, or call the Ft Meade Police Dept @ 301-677-6622/6623.

Be warned though, even some of the police officers and personnel at the law enforcement/emergency desk are not completely aware of the regulations. I live on post, work at the Police Dept, own firearms, have worked contract security (on another post) and worked for Range Control (on another post) that allowed privately owned weapons everyday. I feel I am very qualified to answer your questions. I will try to find the regulation tomorrow at work and post it verbatum for all to see.

layusn1

Apr 18, 2008
    Wow, only 4 rifle range days a year? So probably not much range time for any one shooter huh? I imagine all of the long gun owners pack the place on those days and you, I hope, would have to be fair and divy up the range time. Is there a particular reason why there are no public ranges in Maryland? From what I understand you pretty much have to be a member of a club to shoot and you have to be sponsored in and that can be a bit if a chore on its own? Is it any different if you drive down to VA?

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I dont know how large the club is, but I dont think it is so big that you would not get enough time on the line on range days. I have seen the ranges in question, but I dont remember exactly how many lanes there are on them. I know there are several though. The range time is limited because military and LEO training takes priority.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    The problem with the FT Meade ranges is that you are not allowed to use lead ammo due to environmental regulations and non - lead ammo is VERY expensive. Additionally, I was told that many agencies use the range for qualifications, so the club's meet days are few and far between. At least this is the info I got from the club secretary about a year ago.

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I participated in the FMR&G Garand match in the spring. The rifle ranges are open to lead ammo. In fact, we shot standard Mil-Spec M2 ball.

For this event we did not access Ft. Meade Proper. "there is NO admission to range through main Ft Meade gates".

You access the ranges from Range Rd via Piney Orchard.

There are two separate clubs, FM Rod and Gun and Ft Meade Rifle and Pistol. The later being a somewhat private club for Gov't/Mil employees of the Fort etc.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I participated in the FMR&G Garand match in the spring. The rifle ranges are open to lead ammo. In fact, we shot standard Mil-Spec M2 ball.

For this event we did not access Ft. Meade Proper. "there is NO admission to range through main Ft Meade gates".

You access the ranges from Range Rd via Piney Orchard.

There are two separate clubs, FM Rod and Gun and Ft Meade Rifle and Pistol. The later being a somewhat private club for Gov't/Mil employees of the Fort etc.

I will research this, but I was under the belief that the back entry had been closed. All the construction taking place on the base has things changed up a bit.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I'm a member of the Rod & Gun Club. The two RIFLE ranges are lead-OK. The PISTOL ranges are lead free.

Maybe 3-4 guys show up for rifle range shoots, and one of those is the designated safety officer (wha can't shhot per Meade Range Control rules). The last rifle range day I attended (fall 2008, couldn't make the few scheduled this year), it was just me and the RO. Everyone else shot pistols at the 25yd line. So I basically had a 300yd range to myself, for several hours. The RO was a retired guy who said he had nothing better to do that Saturday, so he let me stay as long as I wanted.

Most times, if there were more shooters, people would just rotate out at the different yard lines. After the 300, some would leave, some would stay to keep shooting. The 300yd range can accomodate up to five cozy shooters at a string, usually three would shoot; there are no "lanes" there like on the 600yd range.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Oh, yeah - you don't need to join the Associated Gun Clubs before you join Meade R&G. It works the other way around.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    So, $35 bucks a year for 4 days on a 300 and 600 yard range that is pretty available for those that want it? Interesting.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I think the gate you are talking about is the back gate to the Pax wildlife refuge. It is not on Ft Meade. The Ft Meade back gate to the ranges is barricaded. I am not sure about the other gate, it is out of our area.

I was unaware that Range Control used that gate for range access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom