• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    Why 37mm and not 40mm? Is there a central regulation where i can learn what launchers are md legal? Also, are tear-gas canisters legal to own for the launcher? They seem like a powerful, non-lethal deterrent.

Feb 28, 2013
    Why 37mm and not 40mm? Is there a central regulation where i can learn what launchers are md legal? Also, are tear-gas canisters legal to own for the launcher? They seem like a powerful, non-lethal deterrent.

The 37mm uses Coast Guard munitions, as opposed to the 40, so those are perfectly legal. You just have to mind the "evil features" provision of the Firearms Stupidity Act.

If you have a Bushmaster AR, I would suggest you put it on that since those are banned anyway. Not deciding to add the launcher won't make it any less banned. That way you won't have to pull the flash suppressor.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Is a grenade attachment for a rifle legal to own as a unrestricted item in MD?

Depends. Most yes. However some are DD and controlled by the NFA. Please be a little more specific.

A grenade or flare launcher is one of the 3 copy cat features.

...for a semi auto rifle with detachable magazine! Does not mater on a bolt gun or....etc.

So long as the rifle it is attached to doesn't have a flash hider or folding stock.

Again, semi auto with detachable mag would be the first requirement.

With 40mm being the standard caliber for a grenade launcher, its assumed thats what it is for. So 40mm is considered a DD and controlled by the NFA. 37mm is the smaller version set for mostly non DD rounds and consider a flare launcher.

Check with BATFE before buying anything like that. If you use it for anything but a flare or smoke launcher it MAY change it to a DD. Ask first.

I agree, do lots of reading to make sure you don't put to non-controlled items together and make something that is illegal. I suggest searching the subject and do lots of reading on it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    :innocent0

Attachments

• mossberg.JPG
      mossberg.JPG
      16.4 KB · Views: 199

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I believe tear gas counts as an NFA regulated destructive device as it disperses "poison". See this guide on launchers here: http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=21&t=238534

tear gas has long been held as a pyrotechnic round that is not designed to be fired directly at people, thus it is not a DD round. Rounds that are DD are specifically listed as "anti-personnel". These rounds include rubber, foam, or wood batons, rubber or regular buckshot, flechette, etc.

Rounds that are approved are fireworks, smoke or tear gas, signalling rounds [visual or auditory], and rounds manufactured specifically not to be anti personnel [such as building markers, point blank OC dispersal, chaff dispersal units and multi smoke]

Rounds recently found to be not allowed: Chalk marking rounds that are not pyrotechnic in nature and bird bombs without a storage permit.

The bird bomb rule is basically silly as you can still make the same round and call it a single break firework or auditory signal as long as it contains less than 110 grns of black powder including lift charge.

The chalk marker rule is a pain since a film canister filled with chalk has been an often used 37mm round. The way around this is to add a fused black powder charge to the chalk making it a pyrotechnic daytime signal.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    BTW if you are going to do any real shooting with 37mm, two things.

1. You must reload the rounds. Factory rounds sell at around 10.00 to 13.00 per round, while you can reload one for less than 3 [even less if you can find your projos].

2. Black powder is the devil, you will be cleaning your launcher alot. [buy an aluminum launcher!!!] I have a steel crack barrel that was misused by the DOC before I got it and I have to constantly maintain it or it will rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom