• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    It is the language about how the use of an item can be interpreted as a 'redesign' that is concerning. It may well be possible that an ATF lawyer makes the acting director of the technology branch rescind that letter tomorrow as establishing that precedent would have undesireable implications beyond the ATF. But until they do, it is a sign of differing opinions within the agency on the legality of the device when used in a way that diverges from the manufacturers directions.

This all conjecture for now - we don't even know what the sample was, do we?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    So, I did some searching, and this is apparently what he submitted:

Screenshot_2014-07-01-20-07-01_zps986afa2c.png

It appears he was trying to make the argument that it wasn't an AOW OR SBS because of the brace, which seems ridiculous to me. We don't have the entire submission/response, but I think they were responding to HIS argument when they got into manner of fire. Further, I think the owner is trying to drum up publicity for his product by disseminating this. I don't think this applies to ARs at all (as the letter says).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It appears he was trying to make the argument that it wasn't an AOW OR SBS because of the brace, which seems ridiculous to me.
    This is an extremely common paradigm for use with AR-style firearms > 26" using VFGs already, but no one had ever explicitly asked about smooth-bored firearms. The BATFE is being consistent with their ruling on this part of the letter.

The next time someone asks about a product that uses the brace, we'll see what the ATF says about it. Personally, I think they went out of their way to add that paragraph about not shouldering the brace, and I don't think it was an accident, or the logic only applicable to smooth-bored firearms. The fact that they underlined it, too, was telling. Read the letter carefully a couple times. Some of you don't seem to have actually read the whole thing.

Like I said: continue as before, just think twice about investing further. That is all.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    This is an extremely common paradigm for use with AR-style firearms > 26" using VFGs already, but no one had ever explicitly asked about smooth-bored firearms. The BATFE is being consistent with their ruling on this part of the letter.

The next time someone asks about a product that uses the brace, we'll see what the ATF says about it. Personally, I think they went out of their way to add that paragraph about not shouldering the brace, and I don't think it was an accident, or the logic only applicable to smooth-bored firearms. The fact that they underlined it, too, was telling. Read the letter carefully a couple times. Some of you don't seem to have actually read the whole thing.

Like I said: continue as before, just think twice about investing further. That is all.

Agree with everything you said, but I think the folks saying that you shouldn't shoulder an AR with a Sig Brace because of this memo need to chill out.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Great, so the guy who makes his money off selling the brace tells us its a-ok. Well, so we have nothing to worry then :lol:

Almost as bad as panicking based on a post from a random internet guy on a ruling for a shotgun with a VFG *insert gratuitous emoticon here*

I'll stick with my letter that came with the brace.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The inventor said "I can keep selling this". Which is true. He said nothing about using it as a stock.

Further, two words: constructive possession.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Almost as bad as panicking based on a post from a random internet guy on a ruling for a shotgun with a VFG *insert gratuitous emoticon here*

I'll stick with my letter that came with the brace.

The letter deals with three issues, the VFG, the brace being used as a stock and carrying a shotgun concealed. As it is clearly limited in scope to the shotgun issue, he is correct that it doesn't directly apply to AR pistols. What it does hint at is that the acting director has a different take on the shouldering issue and if the sig brace comes up for another letter, it may well happen that they make a different determination that supercedes the letters everyone touting with their sig brace.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    It was an interesting thread, but being that he was venturing into new waters and they clearly stopped him in his tracks, I am not worried about Sig braces for the purposes that we've been using them in. IMO his shotgun was never a pistol there for a brace designed for pistols would create a new type of firearm.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    It was an interesting thread, but being that he was venturing into new waters and they clearly stopped him in his tracks, I am not worried about Sig braces for the purposes that we've been using them in. IMO his shotgun was never a pistol there for a brace designed for pistols would create a new type of firearm.

Exactly right and why the letter started the way it did referencing the longer standing ruling about vfg's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom