• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Glad to hear that you finally got the surgery... best wishes for a good and quick recovery. Let me know if I can do anything to help (within the bounds of propriety and good taste, of course) :D

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Anyone ever been presented with this and thought about it too?? What did you do? Do you know any hints at all?
    Heloise? Heloise?

Lower back injury a few years ago (Darwin Honorable Mention) had me worrying about the same kind of stuff. When you proceed beyond the "immobile fatal funnel" stage, remember the experience. It definitely changed the way I consider violent criminals, particularly justified responses to attacks on the elderly, etc.

Feel better - speedy recovery!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Back surgery last week, knee replacement next month. But I've got a phone and 911 programmed. I feel perfectly safe and so should you. :innocent0:lol2:

Good luck with your recovery!

Jim Smith

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... I guess there really isn't anything but to lay there and work the fatal funnel.

Your post reminded me of Jim Bowie at the Alamo: immobile in bed, he fought them off with pistols until he was overwhelmed and bayoneted.

I hope it goes a lot better for you.

Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!

bowiedeath.jpg

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    First, I hope you get better soon! If you need anything you have my number and please don't hesitate to use it because I"m sincere in my offer, even if you just need someone to hang out with and watch the tube.

I had a very similar situation occur this past spring, except maybe a little worse. I had some very extensive shoulder surgery to my strong side shoulder. As I lay in the chair I realize that everything is set up for my strong side and I didn't really practice enough weak side shooting to feel comfortable in my marksmanship.

I have a GSD as well and kinda counted on him running interference so I could get a decent sight picture or I would wait for the perp to get close enough for me to be able to point shoot.

Since I have been able to get up on my own two feet I have started practicing with my weak side and to this day my strong side is not really in the fight. I've always practiced for the probabilities and this scenario was never a strong probability so needless to say it wasn't practiced very much, until the past few months.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Since I have been able to get up on my own two feet I have started practicing with my weak side and to this day my strong side is not really in the fight. I've always practiced for the probabilities and this scenario was never a strong probability so needless to say it wasn't practiced very much, until the past few months.

This is more important than most realize. Being left handed, I've learned to shoot with both left and right hands. I can honestly say, I am as good with either hand. This was something that I too had to work on. It does take a bunch of work to be good enough, whatever that means.

Jim Smith

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm about 3 weeks out from shoulder surgery myself. I also have thought about this. Not just at home but out and about as well. Having my dominant arm in a sling really limits any defense I could muster. I really agree with 3rdrcn about needing to practice weak side.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm about 3 weeks out from shoulder surgery myself. I also have thought about this. Not just at home but out and about as well. Having my dominant arm in a sling really limits any defense I could muster. I really agree with 3rdrcn about needing to practice weak side.

I shoot weakside (left) pretty often. Point shooting in fairly close "self defense" distances is not the issue. A wee bit of shooting that way will convince anyone. The brain really screws with people A LOT when it comes to unusual ways of shooting.

Not that this is an issue when around the house (because the pistol is most likely just laying there), but drawing that pistol from strong side. Now there is something worthy of practicing at home.
    Another that people NEVER think about is actually practicing the "Snatch" of the pistol off that hard table top or any other surface it may be laying on. One would be surprised. This too is worthy of a little attention and practice.

;)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    After my ACL I took my lortab and didn't worry about self defense or anything else but when 4 hours would pass.
    :beer:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Caring about your pain or being jealous of your MK25...

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

OK! Get better soon.

It's funny what surgery does to a person's thinking. After my shoulder surgery, my biggest fear for 5 months was being arrested, having my arms forcibly placed behind my back, and being tossed into a patrol car.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Caring about your pain or being jealous of your MK25...

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

OK! Get better soon.

It's funny what surgery does to a person's thinking. After my shoulder surgery, my biggest fear for 5 months was being arrested, having my arms forcibly placed behind my back, and being tossed into a patrol car.

Sexier than my bum knee. :)
    Thanks for the well wishes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410637903820.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1410637903820.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 173

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Just had ACL surgery today and laying here got me thinking about home defense. Aside from having a bright flashlight and an 18 round MK25 here next to me, I realize there is no home defense.
    Right now it is impossible for me to barely sit up quickly right now, let alone stand to address an issue. I couldn't imagine permanent disability.

So, that being said, I have no tips or hints at all for this type of situation.
    Just crutches, gun, and flashlight laying right next to the bed.

Anyone ever been presented with this and thought about it too?? What did you do? Do you know any hints at all?
    Heloise? Heloise?

I had my ACL replaced (cadaver) last year (1 year a 2 weeks out). I'm impressed that you are posting on the forum same day. I was pretty incoherent the first couple days--Due to pain meds.

For me, my main concern was getting better. We always keep loaded firearms in the home so my wife and myself could have defended ourselves if we had to during that time.

For self defense: just keep doing what your doing. Keep cell phone and loaded pistol nearby.

For ACL recovery: do rehab like your life depended on it. I ran 3.2 miles today despite being 14 months out from my surgery. There were times I did not want to do it anymore but pulled through despite. I'm glad I did. It was a bitch and the endless pain seemed unbearable. Even though things are still different now since my injury I'm glad I went through rehab and recovery that I did. Hang in there.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    It was a bitch and the endless pain seemed unbearable. Even though things are still different now since my injury I'm glad I went through rehab and recovery that I did. Hang in there.

I had a little pain syndrome going on during recovery and light touch was painful. A microfleece blanket would drive me crazy. I don't remember the rehab being all that painful. Getting my range of motion back hurt some, getting my quads back didn't hurt but was a lot of work.

It doesn't feel entirely normal, but no longer has that sickening and painful instability. It works for snow skiing, though the first time was a little scary.

Compared to a rotator cuff tear, it doesn't hurt at all.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    As we grow older things tend to wear out and old High School injuries come back to haunt us.

I feel all of your pain since I am included in this group. An old High School wrestling injury would surface every ten years or so and after three Arthroscopic invasions a total knee replacement was unavoidable. Took the heavy meds for three days and after that the healing began, didn't need them after that and never even got a refill. I should have gotten the refill.
    That was in '09 and now the other knee is acting up and will probably need replaced.

Since I live alone but in a good neighborhood I wasn't too worried about my safety but my sword-cane and .44 mag were at my side.

Do your Psy Therapy and don't force yourself into walking too soon, the ice circulation wrap will really help your rehab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom