• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/belair/ph-ag-deer-hunting-1219-20141218-story.html

"Whenever we have a good acorn year, our deer harvest drops because deer do not move as much in search of food," Brian Eyler, deer project leader for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, wrote in an email Thursday. "This makes them more difficult to hunt."

Also... higher birthweight fawns in the spring.

I dunno... I feel like I'm seeing the same number of deer as usual. True, I'm seeing a huge crop of acorns. What we need is snow to get the deer moving.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Maybe the harvest is down because the rules are so bizarre and all but the most determined have given up on the activity ?

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I haven't been seeing anything this year. Even in bow season before firearm season started, which is when I usually see tons (always too far to shoot an arrow through, of course).

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    We have about the same number of deer as any other year. Unfortunately, once bow opened they all went nocturnal....that usually doesn't happen until just before shotgun season for us, but the cameras showed it almost right after the season opened.

We are averaging about one sighting per 20 hunting hours.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There are deer all over the place by me. Thing is, I am willing to bet that the warmer weather has allowed them to feed less frequently and to feed when they so desire. It was the same way with the geese in November. Hardly any movement from the birds. I don't think there has been a single day yet where I have said to myself "Damn, it is cold outside." When it isn't cold, they don't consume calories keeping their body heat up and therefore don't have to feed as often. It allows them to lay low. Also, without any snow cover on the ground, they have plenty to eat. Heck, the grass on my lawn is still green and I have seen them grazing on lawns in the evening.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Wondering what the % of hunter are this year. Also you got to factor in the new buck rule change and how many little bucks that would have been shot but instead have walked this year cause of it.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    My deer herd went almost totally nocturnal after opening day rifle in Cecil. Plenty of deer back in there too. Game cam and my own hunting tells the story. LOTS of acorns in the mature wooded part, and I'd say they are well fed between that and noshing off my corn pile. My doe had a lot of fat on her.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    That's strange, I'm surrounded by oaks and don't have any acorns this year. Usually it's like walking on marbles out there...plenty of deer around.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yeah,

They are nocturnal. Also the deer are bedding in the 150 yard safety zones.

I had to laugh the other day in firearms season. The state game lands parking lot was full of hunters cars, and a doe was munching away calmly by the entrance way from the road. lol

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    That's strange, I'm surrounded by oaks and don't have any acorns this year. Usually it's like walking on marbles out there...plenty of deer around.

Same situation with the acorns at my place. Very few this year and the ones I did have we're very small.
    I don't really ever have deer where I'm at.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Saw 29 deer last opening day.

Saw no deer this opening day.

They are almost non existent this year.

Something happened or is happening.

Hope next year is better.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm seeing a lot less deer.

Usually early AM I can see them moving in the tree line about 175 feet behind the house.

Maybe my eyes are worse, but I haven't seen any this year.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Warm early season and not allowing Sunday hunting (in my county at least) hurts.

Taking Sunday is taking 1/2 of many people's seasons. I could see no firearms on Sunday but if forced to use a pointy stick (archery) I don't see why I can't hunt on Sunday.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    At my in laws place they have not been seeing deer this year either. I hunted it two years ago and took two deer. Didn't hunt it last year. I plan on going out this afternoon. There are signs of deer there but I didn't see any tree rubs where I used to see lots.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Most likely...it's consecutive early muzzleloader seasons taking its dreaded toll on deer, that most don't even have the chance to breed before being shot. IMHO --- it's due to the Maryland DNR being in cahoots with the automobile insurance industry, in order to decimate the whitetail Maryland deer herd.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Couple of smash ups of the liberal tree hugging people in maryland of their (beamers, Prius, insert here) then they can petition Annapolis to move the deer crossing signs to a less traveled area.

I don't know about the rest of the state but owings mills is awash with deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom