• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Good Morning Everyone. I'm not quite sure how to say this so I'm going to the best that I can.

John Lamplugh, the owner of Appalachian Promotions which does the York Show and the Timonium Fairgrounds Show (among a few others), had one of his employees call me yesterday 4 days prier to the show in York this weekend stating, "You are no longer welcome at our shows". For years, I have been a staple at those shows.

The reason is because I am in competition with his buddies there, the Lewises with regards to ammunition.

When I originally got into this business, I was 21 years old [6 years ago], and had $500 dollars I saved up for my first product to sell. I was only selling medical supplies, freeze dried food and tactical bags. I then branched out into ammunition. When I branched out into ammunition, John took notice of it [and his buddies] and sent his employee out to me to state, "Don't undercut anyone, we don't allow that here". [this was over a year ago] What had prompted that comment was that I changed my case price of 7.62x39 down $5 dollars to match his buddies in the front. (You know them, as soon as you walk through the doors they are there to the right). I do not check other dealer prices [I don't need too], I had a regular customer ask me to match their price up front and I agreed. I then put a new sign out that changed my price from $245/case to $240/case. (Still a year ago) I got a call from John (not his employee) to state that I was no longer allowed at his shows. I tried for better than 15 min to find out a reason and he just stated over and over again, "You are not allowed at my shows". We hung up, and I called him one last time to try to reason with him and he agreed to let me back into the show.

I've done everyone of his shows since then religiously, spend good money to buy 9-13 tables from him too depending on the table size. No issues from that last time until literally yesterday (4 days before the york show) when he had one of his employees call me , didn't even have the balls to call me himself. I requested that he call me back (knowing that he wouldn't as I would've asked him embarrassing and tough questions), he never did. In fact, the employee gave me his (Personal) CELL PHONE number for me to call back on because they (the promoter) didn't want to answer my questions directly.

I'm sure most of you know/remember me - I'm the one with the pallets of ammunition and the metal carts. He simply doesn't want any competition for his friends upfront. (They Primarily sell PMC ammunition)

As you all know, ammunition is very expensive. I had invested 10s of thousands of dollars in product and prep for this show as it is right before Christmas.

I was debating on whether to post anything, however I felt it necessary that the general public know of John Lamplugh's price controls on ammunition and business ethics/practices.

-Eric

Sorry to hear this, I've purchased lots of stuff from you guys and have always been very happy. I assume the Lewises are C&J Ammo?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I don't know anybody at the shows... private sale or auction kinda guy. :shrug: You guys must know he who is complaining pretty well without hearing both sides. :popcorn: If I can get my ass out of the rack I'm going..... looking for gun deals, ammo I'm pretty phat unless I can steal something. :) Look for my avatar on my hat. :cool:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I never expected this kind of support. Thank you.

Thanks for posting. His attitude -- and action -- is antithetical to one of the main draws of gun shows and the values of capitalism and free enterprise. Are people now going to have to wonder at every table what this guy has done to distort prices and availability of goods? Maybe he'd like to be an economic consultant to the Obama administration. Sounds like he has the right values.

The Oaks is a FAR better show, anyway, and not that much farther up the road given what's there.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Appalachian has been a sore spot for me for a while now, but nothing to do with the vendors, per se.

They went out of their way to avoid committing space to MSI (which we would have paid for, gladly), and never provided feedback or calls of explanation.

I've wondered for some time about their commitment to the 2A community, and suspected that it's all about the cash and connections. This seems to confirm it.

I had thought to go this weekend, but now I think not.

They were absolute pricks to us at the Timonium show. He was so unreasonable that I found it hard to believe that I was dealing with an adult.

One of the biggest assholes I've ever met.

BlindViper

Mar 15, 2007
    felton, pennsylvania
    Was this pmc ammo guy the older guy selling ammo between the front doors at timonium? I wnted to buy some 308 and i was asking about what he had. In the middle of the sentence he turned away to answer someone elses question. I bought ammo from some else and made sure he knew it on the way out.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Neo,hate to hear about the drama.If I'm not mistaken given the description I usually make it a point to pick up some odds n ends from you at every show I hit.Only a few vendors I make it a point to drop money at,hard to justify the trips whether PA or just Timonium with less of the "usuals" in attendance. Still going to hit the York show today though,got a few things to pick up and a few kits and accesories to offload.If I'm lucky I'll sell more than I buy but not counting on it. Hoping to head out shortly,anybody attending in a few hours see a skinny bearded guy with a green backpack sporting a parts for sale sign it's probably me.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for posting. His attitude -- and action -- is antithetical to one of the main draws of gun shows and the values of capitalism and free enterprise. Are people now going to have to wonder at every table what this guy has done to distort prices and availability of goods? Maybe he'd like to be an economic consultant to the Obama administration. Sounds like he has the right values.

The Oaks is a FAR better show, anyway, and not that much farther up the road given what's there.

Agree, see my comment on that show. Saw more guns, ammo and accessories at good prices than anywhere in the past 2 years

Feb 28, 2013
    Neo,hate to hear about the drama.If I'm not mistaken given the description I usually make it a point to pick up some odds n ends from you at every show I hit.Only a few vendors I make it a point to drop money at,hard to justify the trips whether PA or just Timonium with less of the "usuals" in attendance. Still going to hit the York show today though,got a few things to pick up and a few kits and accesories to offload.If I'm lucky I'll sell more than I buy but not counting on it. Hoping to head out shortly,anybody attending in a few hours see a skinny bearded guy with a green backpack sporting a parts for sale sign it's probably me.

I was there about 1ish. Didn't see you or Black Bart. Black and white flannel with a camo baseball cap.

I've been there and seen the place a lot more packed than it was this time. There was a lot of empty space.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I was there about 1ish. Didn't see you or Black Bart. Black and white flannel with a camo baseball cap.

I've been there and seen the place a lot more packed than it was this time. There was a lot of empty space.

she and I were there......... HUGE bummer and a waste of 13 bucks to get us both in. JUNK guns, ammo was over priced cept one guy has 7.62X39 for 22 cants a pop but since I didn't need it. Bricks of 22 for 60 bucks.... shove that....

We bought a stun zapper and pepper spray from a fat guy for 40 bucks and left around oneish. :tdown: At INSANE prices I see why people get stupid at big auctions. They ARE stupid!:sad20:

Marshall's next month in Parsonsburg... I'll go Friday night, if someone wants a place to stay... gonna cost you. Loan of a cot or air mattress (so that means you gotta bring 2), no water or heat unless you bring some firewood. :D Hopefully I can steal either a gun, accessories or a quad 4X4.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I scored 5# of Power Pistol and 3# of 1680....... all i went for was components....I had to drop off 3# at my friends house since I cant have more than 5# at home......:D

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Scored a nice Savage 99 but overall I wasn't impressed with this show. Not too many guns for it being a gun show IMO

Congrats on the 99, I think you did OK for one that age and chambering. I briefly looked at a Mini 30 SS, it was rode hard and put away wet, wood was like shit and no magazine (maybe he was holding it)? He wanted something like 750 for it.......... When we're THAT far apart it's not even worth my time to haggle......... at best it was a 4 - 5 hundred dollar gun. :tdown::sad20:

There were a couple Turk Mausers there for 250, they didn't look too bad, Jap rifles all looked like shit I thought and the bayonets.... dig holes in the garden with them. :sad20: LOT of junk.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Congrats on the 99, I think you did OK for one that age and chambering. I briefly looked at a Mini 30 SS, it was rode hard and put away wet, wood was like shit and no magazine (maybe he was holding it)? He wanted something like 750 for it.......... When we're THAT far apart it's not even worth my time to haggle......... at best it was a 4 - 5 hundred dollar gun. :tdown::sad20:

There were a couple Turk Mausers there for 250, they didn't look too bad, Jap rifles all looked like shit I thought and the bayonets.... dig holes in the garden with them. :sad20: LOT of junk.

I think I saw that same Mini 30 and my comment on the price was just about the same

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I think I saw that same Mini 30 and my comment on the price was just about the same

Since I have a lot of the cartridge that was on my list of "buy" if you can. $700 bucks doesn't come that easy to me so if I'm going to spend that much it best be something to brag about............

Come to think of it, FEW Garands and all the Springfields and 1917's were cut up half assed "sporters". Lot of junk like I said and the "parts" were all retail at best. FEW if any deals to be had.

Feb 28, 2013
    Since I have a lot of the cartridge that was on my list of "buy" if you can. $700 bucks doesn't come that easy to me so if I'm going to spend that much it best be something to brag about............

Come to think of it, FEW Garands and all the Springfields and 1917's were cut up half assed "sporters". Lot of junk like I said and the "parts" were all retail at best. FEW if any deals to be had.

I did see a nice Walther P-38 in the quieter room.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    she and I were there......... HUGE bummer and a waste of 13 bucks to get us both in. JUNK guns, ammo was over priced cept one guy has 7.62X39 for 22 cants a pop but since I didn't need it. Bricks of 22 for 60 bucks.... shove that....

We bought a stun zapper and pepper spray from a fat guy for 40 bucks and left around oneish. :tdown: At INSANE prices I see why people get stupid at big auctions. They ARE stupid!:sad20:

Marshall's next month in Parsonsburg... I'll go Friday night, if someone wants a place to stay... gonna cost you. Loan of a cot or air mattress (so that means you gotta bring 2), no water or heat unless you bring some firewood. :D Hopefully I can steal either a gun, accessories or a quad 4X4.

Glad I stayed home!

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    As already said, very few guns. Overpriced ammo. Not many tables. I won't be going back to this show unless things change in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom