• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Tried doing the search thing and came up with either too many results or none at all.

Anyone have any documented plans of how to build the wood target stands?

You guys that I shot with at Delta know what I mean.

I must be getting senile, because I thought there were plans around here somewhere, but I just can't find 'em.

Thanks in advance, kids!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I saw some people at AGC shooting an AR with a target stand they made from PVC one day. (Of course if I had done this RO Fife would have been on me like stink on poop).

One hit on one of the uprights and it shattered like glass. Ended their shooting for that day. On the other hand I have a bunch of stands built with 1x2s that have been hit scores of times by 30-06 and down. I squirt some Gorilla glue into any holes when I come home.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I built some stands from 2x4s that I scavenged and it went something like this, H frame as the base with an upright on each side behind the crossbar. Then two 2x4s nailed across the uprights at the width of the target backer you plan to use (I used flattened cardboard boxes) - You can use plywood as a backer and skip the two 2x4s.

If you're smart, you'll build it so you can lay the upright flat with the base and transport in the bed of a truck.

On the other hand, I've found that four-leg walkers (old people walkers) make great, superb, unbeatable target stands. They're aluminum so bullets do not ricochet like they would with steel but pass through the metal instead; shot with buckshot, the stands have rocked back but have not flipped yet. All in all, they're stable and durable. You have to find the older ones with the crossbar midway down the front; you can find them relatively cheap if you shop yardsales, e-bay, and craigslist ($10-$20). When you factor in the cost of materials and time to build wood stands, you can't beat a walker at this price.

The way it works is you hang cardboard or some other backer on the front side of the walker and post your targets there.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    On the other hand, I've found that four-leg walkers (old people walkers) make great, superb, unbeatable target stands. They're aluminum so bullets do not ricochet like they would with steel but pass through the metal instead; shot with buckshot, the stands have rocked back but have not flipped yet. All in all, they're stable and durable. You have to find the older ones with the crossbar midway down the front; you can find them relatively cheap if you shop yardsales, e-bay, and craigslist ($10-$20). When you factor in the cost of materials and time to build wood stands, you can't beat a walker at this price.

The way it works is you hang cardboard or some other backer on the front side of the walker and post your targets there.

That's a good idea.

But I still like phone books and a wood pile.:toothless

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Here's mine - it's a little overbuilt, but has faithfully served three Delmarva shoots and one family outing (roughly equivalent to a fourth DSC shoot!) with only one replacement of the 2x4 cross members.

Attachments

• Maryland Shooters Target.jpg
      Maryland Shooters Target.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 2,801

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I just pick up some black pipe from Lowes or HD. determine the height you want then pick up those lengths some t- fittings.
    this has been hit by 22lr.-- 45 acp -- 7.62x54. I built it about 8 years ago and use it when training new shooters( and yes I 've hit it ) cost me about 50 bucks but the years and hits have proven that it was worth it.

Attachments

• P1280040 (Small).JPG
      P1280040 (Small).JPG
      25.2 KB · Views: 2,723
    • P1280041 (Small).JPG
      P1280041 (Small).JPG
      45.4 KB · Views: 2,698

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have built 2 in the past that we use for sighting at the farm. It is basically the same build at the image JSW has posted below. However, I used 2 x 2 wood and made the head frame 24 x 24 and I simply cut out a 24 x 24 cardboard and staple that to the frame, you can make the target stand itself whatever height you wish. I then attached 2 more 2 x 2 with screws to the outside "legs" of the stand so it is free standing, yet folds flat for storage.

Here's an image of some plans I found on the net a few years ago that was used by the Chinese military... I just replaced the idiot on a stool with some wooden legs. I had to add this comment...

well if it weren't for that steel wall around the center of town square, the bullets would pass right through the window of The Bang-Pow Karry-Out across the street, 'least they were putting some thought into target practice.

Attachments

• dumbass.jpg
      dumbass.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 2,732
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04