• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Sadly, I've ignored most of the loaded magazine threads (and threadjacks) so far because they seemed so full of conjecture and armchair lawyering. And now that I want to see if there is a definitive answer, my searches haven't turned up anything useful.

So therefore I ask if anyone has the definitive and legal answer to the following:

A) can I carry a loaded magazine and an unloaded handgun in the same backpack pocket while driving to a range for a legitimate shooting event?

A1) if not, can I carry them in separate zippered pockets?

B) if a zippered pocket is not allowable, which (if any) part would have to be a locked compartment?

C) does it matter which part is in which seat? Does one part have to be in the trunk or can both parts be separate but accessible?

Feel free to fill in any details that I may have missed and assume that all transportation is between home and a shooting event. But please keep the conjecture to a minimum.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Don't go to Continental to shoot with loaded mags in your bag. They made me unload all of mine 3 weeks ago. The guy behind the counter was adamant that it was illegal to have them loaded in the bag unless I had a Maryland CCP. I mentioned the AG's position on this but it did not matter. I unloaded 20+ mags and then had to reload them once I was on the range.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Don't go to Continental to shoot with loaded mags in your bag. They made me unload all of mine 3 weeks ago. The guy behind the counter was adamant that it was illegal to have them loaded in the bag unless I had a Maryland CCP. I mentioned the AG's position on this but it did not matter. I unloaded 20+ mags and then had to reload them once I was on the range.
    how long did it take to reload them and hoe much did that range time cost? Funny how that works....

How long did it take you to load them and how much did that time in th

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    how long did it take to reload them and hoe much did that range time cost? Funny how that works....

How long did it take you to load them and how much did that time in th

It took 10 minutes or so to load them all back up. Just a pain in the a** to do over. I don't recall the range rates.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Charming bunch over there, am I right?

When I bought a gun there they basically treated me like a criminal, even upon seeing my creds that I used in lieu of the training video requirement. I don't go there. The only reason why I still bought the gun there is because they were the only ones who had it in stock at the time and I didn't feel like waiting 4 months to get it.

I am treated with much more respect at Horst & McCann and they also give LEO discounts if you produce your creds.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    That was my only time on that range. Other than the loaded mag confrontation, everything else was fine. The only reason we shot there was because they allow full auto fire.

There are worse places to shoot... no full auto, no rapid fire, no double taps on the pistol line, etc, etc, etc.

Mark

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    I got the same B.S. from staff at Select Fire in Glen Burnie. They wanted me to sit outside in my car on the parking lot and unload my magazines. I thought that behavior was ill advised.

I left and went directly to On Target in Severn and bought memberships for my wife and me. I haven't been back to S.F. since.

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    They told me it was just as illegal to have a loaded mag as it was to have a loaded gun. Funny isnt it. If you want to call it a store policy then fine but dont call it illegal.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I love hearing about these bad places before making the mistake of going there myself.

To the vendors who cruise this forum: be nice to MDShooters (and people in general). The Internet is a good place to make a bad name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom