• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Lookin good!!! Can't wait to see it all put together with the pieces inside! :beer:

Fortunately, there is some wiggle room on the mag release.. it's not a super critical fit, for the most part... ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Here's a thought for pins (takedown and pivot)... have you looked at using these? No detent needed and they are quick release...

p_923000039_1.jpg

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-m16-push-button-receiver-pins-prod17158.aspx

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can also get similar .250 pins at a marine supply store in sst.. had a bunch of em on my sailboat, but it's been sold, sorry... lol

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ... Or a pip pin. ...

Here's a thought for pins (takedown and pivot)... have you looked at using these? No detent needed and they are quick release...

Those are pip pins :innocent0 Sometimes more generically called quick release detent pins but if you type 'pip pin' into mcmaster it'll find them. Im not sure where the name came from, I suspect it was the first company who made them popular. Sort of like a Dzus fastener. Everyone who makes them now calls them that.

I've never seen them in anything but 1/4" length divisions so they'll have a little play given your lengths needed.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3050

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Very impressive project - I love the look.:thumbsup:

Wishing you success and can't wait for a successful test fire.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    smdub, got the pins yesterday. Thank you. ill test the fit once the lower comes back from anodization.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Well got some bad news today from the anodizers, one of the peices got "burned" by the process and they say its un-useable. I am not going to list the company I used becuase it may have been my fault by giving them the wrong series of ali. I thought I made everything out of 7075 or 6061...but I might of grabbed a mis-marked piece of metal.....and im not into bashing companies becuase I know they did the best that they could do. I pick up the parts on monday, I will assess the damage and make the new part. I guess this is a good thing about have a lower reciever made out of 11 parts. :)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Ah man, that really bites! I know you have to be careful with telling them the proper material, or it's biggggg trouble. I did one that was a forging and the composition of that was a little different on the outer surfaces (I forget exactly what, but it had been shot peened with another material to harden the surfaces of the 0% forging). It came out fine in the end, but if you mistake 6061 or 7075 or throw in a piece of 2024, you can have problems.. the alloy compositions of each vary widely.

Hope the rest came out well for you!! :thumbsup:

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Ah man, that really bites! I know you have to be careful with telling them the proper material, or it's biggggg trouble. I did one that was a forging and the composition of that was a little different on the outer surfaces (I forget exactly what, but it had been shot peened with another material to harden the surfaces of the 0% forging). It came out fine in the end, but if you mistake 6061 or 7075 or throw in a piece of 2024, you can have problems.. the alloy compositions of each vary widely.

Hope the rest came out well for you!! :thumbsup:

I went and visited the anodizer at lunch to see the part. It was the "Fire Control well bottom" which isnt a critical part. I might be able to salvage it until I can make another. Ill have to see come monday.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That's good news.. as long as it fits okay and bolts in, you may be fine... not hard to remake that part.. :thumbsup:

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Do you mind posting the link for plans you used to get started?

Thanks!

Plans are on my original post. I also put the colt blueprints with it. I had to go back to the colt blueprint to pull 2 or 3 dimensions and calculations.

zaphod07

Oct 16, 2011
    Around NAS PAX
    there is alot of potential with this design that I like. Lets say you were a MFG and sold this a multicaliber kit, all you would have to potentially do was to replace the magwell side plates to switch from 5.56 to 308 to whatever.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    there is alot of potential with this design that I like. Lets say you were a MFG and sold this a multicaliber kit, all you would have to potentially do was to replace the magwell side plates to switch from 5.56 to 308 to whatever.

This is something that the original designer said he had in mind but never tried. I wish I knew more about other caliber to understand the mag well size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom