Summer Gun Project #4: Mount MG to a Tree!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    A while back I bought a very rare German Trench mount for my MG08 Maxim. Its a non-Standard mount made by the German by the 27 Infantry Division (Wurtemberg) made in 1915 in the Argonne area in occupied France. These were built as alternatives to the large Sled Type mounts. Its extremely well made of heavy steel. It likely to be the only one of its specific type left and probably the only type of this trench mount in the US. Most still around today are in relic condition as these usually sat out in the weather for years.

IMG_20140719_144543_551.jpg

It has a 1.5" Dia, 8" long Spike on the bottom which makes range shooting a bit hard. So I have been playing with how to mount it for years now. I finally got a 16" Diameter tree section and cut it down to 9" deep. I hollowed out a hole for the spike and mounted it with 4 WWI screws. Its a heavy SOB! However its got a big torque arm and will need the weight.

I also had a guy from the 1919a4.com forum make me a top strap (Piece of metal in white) to match the way I think it would have looked. It will get painted and aged but that will take a while. With it now in shooting condition, I will have it out at the next 100 Yard AGC shoot and see how it shoots!

I have talked to a fellow Maxim collector in France that lives in area this mount was made. There a German bunkers in the hill side there and there is still a similar type mount in place.

bunker.jpg

If you notice, there are two brackets on the front for an armored shield. No pictures still exist of what this shield would have looked like but I might have to make one to fit. Still trying to decide if I want to strip the bark off but I am thinking not at this point. It certainly makes a nice addition to the gun room!

Hope you all enjoy some of the history with this 99 year old piece. I hope some of you guys with more historical MGs will do some posting soon! I like the modern MGs but thats seems to be all we are getting lately.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Good LORD that's a sexy piece of metal. Now all you need are a Spandau, a Vickers and a Hotchkiss!

I have 3 "Spandaus" one live Spandau MG08/15 and 2 Spandau LMG08/15 Aircraft Parts kit. I figure if the Red Baron had two, I need two. I sold the Vickers parts kit. Its a cool gun but not different enough from the German Maxims. The Hotchkiss I would love to add to the collection however I think I will add a Chauchat first.

P5150019.jpg

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have 3 "Spandaus" one live Spandau MG08/15 and 2 Spandau LMG08/15 Aircraft Parts kit. I figure if the Red Baron had two, I need two. I sold the Vickers parts kit. Its a cool gun but not different enough from the German Maxims. The Hotchkiss I would love to add to the collection however I think I will add a Chauchat first.

View attachment 124845

The amount of drool on my sneakers is entirely to blame on YOU. I can't even guess how much fun in must be to feed those fiends.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The amount of drool on my sneakers is entirely to blame on YOU. I can't even guess how much fun in must be to feed those fiends.

Come on down and try for yourself! I have them both converted to 7.62x54r which is cheaper than 9mm or pretty much any other ammo out there anymore. They are a lot of fun to shoot and very different from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom