• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I finally picked up a handgun that I had purchased on April 12. The shop wouldn't let me have it unless I had a lock with me. I said I had some at home. They said I needed it with me to take the gun home so I had to buy a chamber lock from them. I have never had to do this before, but looking back at other guns I have bought in the past some did come with a cheap lock of some sort. What is the reason for this, legal storage at your home or does the handgun actually have to be locked when it is in your vehicle? I always thought it just had to be in a case when legally transporting.

I wasn't going to let $15 prevent me from finally shooting the damn thing this weekend, so I went ahead and bought the lock and didn't press the issue. I would appreciate any help on these questions so I don't break any laws:
    Do you need to lock the gun while transporting in a vehicle or just have it in a case? Unloaded and ammo separate of course.

If not why did I need a lock?

Thanks for any info.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    You only need it to leave the store, you can give it away unless you want to save it for the next time you buy a handgun in that caliber.

Rimfire

May 20, 2013
    Fred Co.
    After, I believe 2002, MD passed a law that all new guns had to come with an Internal locking mechanism. The omega type lock satisfies this requirement. Too late now but there is a thread on the forum (probably under handguns) that's stickied to loan/borrow these for pickup from the FFL. They don't require they be used. For the internal lock requirement trigger and cable locks are not acceptable.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    They should have told you before picking up the gun you would need it so you could have brought one of your own with you.

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Atleast it was only $15, on my recent purchase I was charged $30 even though I brought a brand new sealed omega with me, they still made me buy it then asked if I really wanted it when I picked up the gun.

ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Thanks for the explanation I never knew about that but it makes sense now looking back. My new guns came with cable locks or the Ruger GP100 had a big Ruger lock that came with it that fit the entire barrel.

She did say that someone should have told you about the lock when they called to tell you the gun was ready. It was really $17 but that isn't too bad, they haven't jacked up ammo prices either so they're pretty legit. Yeah for $25 or $30 I would have been a little ticked off.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I just purchased on the 24th and the millersville shop told me the MSP will not allow them to sell a gun without purchasing a lock and charged me $30.

Should I take my own in and ask to use it or is this in fact a Law to purchase new from the selling FFL?

"MSP will not allow us to sell a gun without a lock"
    Is the exact words from the officer that works there.

Just found the omega lock is $30. Not sure that is what is offered but we'll see.

Last edited:

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/29/29.03.01.32.htm

B. Except as provided under Public Safety Article, §5-132(c)(1), Annotated Code of Maryland, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State any handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.

C. Except as provided under Public Safety Article, §5-131(b), Annotated Code of Maryland, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State any handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an approved integrated mechanical safety device.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    hey be glad they let you get away with a cable lock
    the approved locks can be harder to find then ammo.
    iirc there are only 2 on the list still made, except the ones that are part of the firearm themselves, and even some of those are no longer used

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    I have the same deal happening on a purchase I am waiting to pick up soon....had to pay for the lock in advance. They told me to thank Paris Glendening. Heck, I blame him and Owe Malley for almost everything that is wrong in this state!:mad54:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I just purchased on the 24th and the millersville shop told me the MSP will not allow them to sell a gun without purchasing a lock and charged me $30.

Should I take my own in and ask to use it or is this in fact a Law to purchase new from the selling FFL?

"MSP will not allow us to sell a gun without a lock"
    Is the exact words from the officer that works there.

Just found the omega lock is $30. Not sure that is what is offered but we'll see.
    I assume you mean Worth A Shot. I just picked up two new handguns there about two weeks ago. They let me bring my own internal locks. (Well one was mine, borrowed the other from a friend)

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    A nice shop I bought from earlier this year allowed you to leave the store with the gun & lock, then bring the lock back after you put the gun in the car. Satisfied the law!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom