• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I am looking to by a set of pistols (9mm and 45) - one may or may not be tactical. At the FFL today they had 5 brands available - first time I was able to hold that many to make a comparison - only one they didn't have was S&W - wanted to hold M&P.

Initial thoughts:

1. HK - held the HK30L. This one felt the best, but the mag release very confusing. I am not sure how my strong hand (thumb) would release. I had to adjust my hand to get the thumb on the lever.

2. Springfield XDm - Second best feel but the button at the back (grip safety) where your palm felt weird. I think it was the only one that I tried that had it.

3. Glock 21 gen4 - When looking at the gun from the side you can see through the slide, why is that? All the others were tight.

4. FN - dont remember if it was the FNH or FNX, but this had the worse feel. The tips of my fingers were pricked by the sharp grip (probably would wear down over time).

5. Sig 226 - don't remember too much from this one. Have to go back again to try the feel.

After holding these, I would want to shoot the HK and Springfield for sure. Probably the Glock and maybe the Sig.

My questions:

1. Any ranges that rent HK near Southern MD? Preferably one that had the most of these.
    2. Any responses to my observations?
    3. Suggestions?

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I don't think you need our help... sounds like you will take your time and make the best decision for your needs. :thumbsup:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If I was looking at them in terms of choosing a strictly practical, potentially lifesaving handgun, I'd pick the G21 and the 226 in that order. But a lot of it is just a matter of preference. Those are all good pistols, though I'm a little iffy on the FN when I say that.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Yep. Modified booger hook. Being left-handed and owning non-ambi semi-auto pistols, using the trigger finger becomes natural with practice.

I'm a lefty too and have always found it easier to use the middle finger of my shooting hangmd for mag releases.

On USP's you have to have pretty large hands to activate with your thumb.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I am looking to by a set of pistols (9mm and 45) - one may or may not be tactical. At the FFL today they had 5 brands available - first time I was able to hold that many to make a comparison - only one they didn't have was S&W - wanted to hold M&P.

Initial thoughts:

1. HK - held the HK30L. This one felt the best, but the mag release very confusing. I am not sure how my strong hand (thumb) would release. I had to adjust my hand to get the thumb on the lever.

2. Springfield XDm - Second best feel but the button at the back (grip safety) where your palm felt weird. I think it was the only one that I tried that had it.

3. Glock 21 gen4 - When looking at the gun from the side you can see through the slide, why is that? All the others were tight.

4. FN - dont remember if it was the FNH or FNX, but this had the worse feel. The tips of my fingers were pricked by the sharp grip (probably would wear down over time).

5. Sig 226 - don't remember too much from this one. Have to go back again to try the feel.

After holding these, I would want to shoot the HK and Springfield for sure. Probably the Glock and maybe the Sig.

My questions:

1. Any ranges that rent HK near Southern MD? Preferably one that had the most of these.
    2. Any responses to my observations?
    3. Suggestions?

In addition to trying the S&W consider a Walther PPQ.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    As everyone said, use your trigger finger to release the mag on the HK. Also, be sure to shoot one before you buy it. I think the P30 has the best ergonomics of any handgun but the trigger is horrendous (just my opinion). My choice would be either the Glock or the XDM. Good luck.

EDIT: Definitely look at the Walther PPQ, best trigger outside of a 1911. (again, just my opinion).

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The HK P30L is a great gun, but you can save yourself some money and get the Walther PPQ. They are very different guns, but the PPQ's ergonomics are just as phenomenal.

As already pointed out, the preferred method for releasing the magazine is by using your finger. However, that doesn't mean you have to. If the mag release bothers you, don't worry. The newer version of the PPQ, the M2, has a normal style mag release.

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppq-m2/

If you want a 9MM, I'd go PPQ.

As for a .45 ACP, the Glock 21 is a beast. You get Glock reliability, accuracy, high capacity, and some .45 knock-down power. Yes. It's a huge gun, but it's as scary as it is big. For me, the Glock 21 is the handgun that says get the **** out of my house.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You could also check out the EAA Witness. There are tons of variations steel, polymer, railed, compact, comped, longslide in most every caliber from 22-45 and you can swap between most of these on the same frame. You can choose from SA, SA/DA cocked and locked option, SA/DA decocker. They are CZ 75 clones so ergonomically they are amazing.

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    I have a sig P226 and like it. I just bought a P239 and should have it in about 10-11 weeks. With +P defensive loads (speer gold dot, winchester ranger etc) I think 9mm is fine for PD.

A P226 and probably some/most Glocks you can convert to 22LR, 40S&W, 357sig, with slide/barrel kits. The kits are unregulated and can be shipped right to your house.

Most of the sigs in 9mm-45, use same basic controls/functions. So if you pick up a 220,226,227,228,229,239 the handgun operation is virtually the same. The Glocks may be similar in this regard, but the only striker fired full size pistol that struck my fancy was the HK P7, but now too expensive for my taste.

I'm thinking the HK and Springfield have different models with the same/similar operation, so this aspect of my reply may not be that big of a deal. I think this is only handy if you ever plan on another semi auto pistol. It would be nice to have your 9 and 45 this way.

I'm not an expert on pistols. I am familiar and like Sigs. I like the DA/SA and external hammer (old fashioned) where I can easily see if the pistol is cocked. I have friends that love their Beretta 92 (but only Storm is 45?).

People love Glocks- If you like them you can't go wrong with a Glock. I just feel safer (comfort wise) with a DA first shot and decocker. This is just my personal preference- If I felt as comfortable with a cocked and loaded Glock as I do with my P226 (and someday in the future) my P239, I would probably have a Glock.

Good luck, Bob

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a sig P226 and like it. I just bought a P239 and should have it in about 10-11 weeks. With +P defensive loads (speer gold dot, winchester ranger etc) I think 9mm is fine for PD.

A P226 and probably some/most Glocks you can convert to 22LR, 40S&W, 357sig, with slide/barrel kits. The kits are unregulated and can be shipped right to your house.

Most of the sigs in 9mm-45, use same basic controls/functions. So if you pick up a 220,226,227,228,229,239 the handgun operation is virtually the same. The Glocks may be similar in this regard, but the only striker fired full size pistol that struck my fancy was the HK P7, but now too expensive for my taste.

I'm thinking the HK and Springfield have different models with the same/similar operation, so this aspect of my reply may not be that big of a deal. I think this is only handy if you ever plan on another semi auto pistol.

I'm not an expert on pistols. I am familiar and like Sigs. I like the DA/SA and external hammer (old fashioned) where I can easily see if the pistol is cocked. I have friends that love their Beretta 92 (but only Storm is 45?).

People love Glocks- If you like them you can't go wrong with a Glock. I just feel safer (comfort wise) with a DA first shot and decocker. This is just my personal preference- If I felt as comfortable with a cocked and loaded Glock as I do with my P226 (and someday in the future) my P239, I would probably have a Glock.

Good luck, Bob

You can always thumb the hammer for the first shot. That is what God put it there for.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If I was looking at them in terms of choosing a strictly practical, potentially lifesaving handgun, I'd pick the G21 and the 226 in that order. But a lot of it is just a matter of preference. Those are all good pistols, though I'm a little iffy on the FN when I say that.

I completely agree with this.

The Glock is the easiest transition gun from wheels to semi auto... The only big difference is the loading system. The rest is basically the same... No extra buttons, bells, whistles, de-cocking levers to worry about getting use to.

When BPD changed over from wheels to semi-auto, they tried out several different makes and models. The Glock performed best in the bulk of the tests and requirements.

Simply put... it is an easy semi-auto to get use to in a short amount of time. And it will eat pretty much ANY ammo that you put in the magazine.

The space that you see between the slide and frame is there by design... The slide rides on steel rails that hold it a bit above the polymer frame. I believe this also aides in cooling.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    As everyone said, use your trigger finger to release the mag on the HK. Also, be sure to shoot one before you buy it. I think the P30 has the best ergonomics of any handgun but the trigger is horrendous (just my opinion). My choice would be either the Glock or the XDM. Good luck.

EDIT: Definitely look at the Walther PPQ, best trigger outside of a 1911. (again, just my opinion).

Hk offers several trigger options for whatever you find best. The standard is the Single/Double, but they also have the LEM(DAO) trigger, and a match trigger.

IMO, if you have the coin for it, go for the Hk. They are excellent guns.

HailSkins

Aug 13, 2009
    Hebron
    +1 for Glock 21

It was my first pistol about 4 years ago. It's a police refurb from buds. Couple thousand rounds later, 21 is still my favorite pistol.

I don't have any experience with the other 4.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Hk offers several trigger options for whatever you find best. The standard is the Single/Double, but they also have the LEM(DAO) trigger, and a match trigger.

IMO, if you have the coin for it, go for the Hk. They are excellent guns.

I was at a gun range yesterday and they had a HK P30L. I asked to hold it and if they could tell me which version it was (they didn't know). I said that I really liked the feel of this gun and wished there was someplace that rented them so I could test one out. This is where it got interesting.

He said that "these aren't used as rentals because of price AND that they fall apart when dropped". He then had me dry fire the pistol and said that Sigs were best. Then pulled out a Sig 226 and asked me to pull the trigger, which was smother. After asking a few questions about the Sig, I asked if it had trigger work and he admitted that it was not the standard trigger but the SRT.

Ahh. Anyone know a place that I can find a HKP30 to shoot? Would be interested in the HK45 as well. They share the same grip. I held the HK45 compact but didn't like the feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom