• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    In MD can I legally build my own AR without reporting to MSP?

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made-an-untraceable-ar-15-ghost-gun/

This is my ghost gun. To quote the rifleman’s creed, there are many like it, but this one is mine. It’s called a “ghost gun”—a term popularized by gun control advocates but increasingly adopted by gun lovers too—because it’s an untraceable semiautomatic rifle with no serial number, existing beyond law enforcement’s knowledge and control. And if I feel a strangely personal connection to this lethal, libertarian weapon, it’s because I made it myself, in a back room of WIRED’s downtown San Francisco office on a cloudy afternoon.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Someone at Wired apparently got bored, the Ghost Gunner has been around for a while.

It provides another method to legally build what you can already legally build.

For example putting a < 16" barreled upper on a stocked lower is still illegal without the paperwork, along with MD issues.

Most of us can't get permission to build a machine gun from the ATF, so we don't drill the holes.

Building a lower when you've lost your right to possess one is still illegal.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Not stealth arms yet, I'm pretty sure the owners are working on it. These folks local in Bel Air do carry many other DIY frames and jigs.

http://pandemicoutfitters.com/collections/ar-15-10-upper-receivers

Thanks for the link, will have to visit with them.

So it is legal to purchase 80% or 90% lower receiver and build it without paper work to or from MSP?

Another question: If it doesn't require paper work with MSP, is it legal to put on a non-hbar barrel?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So it is legal to purchase 80% or 90% lower receiver and build it without paper work to or from MSP?

80%, yes. 90% absolutely not, but nobody (that I'm aware of, anyhow) sells a "90%" receiver of any kind anyhow. Basically, legally it's not a firearm until more than 80% of the machining operations have been completed. That's why you can go buy one without any paperwork or anything, because as long as only 80% of the machining is done, it's not a firearm.. Once you do that 81st percent of the machining though, you've turned it into a firearm. You are legally allowed (assuming you're not otherwise prohibited, and that you are building firearms that are otherwise legal where you live) to build as many firearms as you would like for your personal use.

So yes, you can go buy an 80% AR lower, or an 80% 1911 frame, and complete them yourself, totally legally and all without paperwork. It's no different than if you had started with a block of solid aluminum and milled the whole thing out yourself.

Another question: If it doesn't require paper work with MSP, is it legal to put on a non-hbar barrel?

No. While you can build firearms for your personal use, you can not build firearms that would otherwise break the law. Thus you can build a non-copycat HBAR AR15, or an AR pistol, in Maryland, but you can not build an M4gery, for example.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Do they have a store front? I don't see an address listed on their site.

As you, I had the same issue. Had to do a google on their name to get the address. WEB Page leaves a lot to desired, actually very poor.

Address: 130 N Tollgate Rd, Bel Air, MD 21014
    Phone: (410) 776-3791

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom