• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Well, even after hearing all the horror stories about how easy it is to break the extractor, and being as careful as possible, mine broke tonight while trying to check the damned headspace. :sad20:

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find a replacement, or someone to contact to get one made?

I am going to see if one of the machinists at my work can do it, but they really aren't supposed to do stuff like that at work. Luckily I am on night shift, so that may increase my chances.

Thanks for any suggestions. :sad20:

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Try http://www.gunpartscorp.com/. Even if you don't find it in their online listings, give them a call. Most of their staff are really helpful, and if there's one in the warehouse, they'll try to find it.

Thanks, I'll give them a call Monday. They have the part listed, but of course it is sold out.

I also ordered another M95 (8x56R) extractor and might try to rig one up from that. I've also seen pics of a 1917 extractor that a guy whittled down and got to work.

I feel like an idiot for breaking it...from all the posts I've seen on the net with people searching for these things, it seems I was lucky to have one intact.

I found some old posts where a guy was making them, but that was like 5 years ago.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    After waiting a few months for the guy at work to have time to weld my extractor, he got it done. I think he did a great job. I ran a bunch of dummy rounds through and it works like a charm, hope it holds up! :party29:

Attachments

• m95m1.jpg
      m95m1.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 389
    • m95m2.jpg
      m95m2.jpg
      35 KB · Views: 370
    • m95m3.jpg
      m95m3.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 345

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I couldn't find a pic of it when it was in two parts, but the red line shows where it snapped, and where he welded it back together. The whole head of the extractor came off.

Attachments

• m95m1a.jpg
      m95m1a.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 347

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Glad to see it got fixed. M95M extractors and the sheet metal clip are practically impossible to find. I wish someone would make repros of them but I guess the market isn't big enough

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Glad to see it got fixed. M95M extractors and the sheet metal clip are practically impossible to find. I wish someone would make repros of them but I guess the market isn't big enough

Yeah, I spent the last two months looking for an extractor and never saw one anywhere.

Mine has the sheet metal clip inside, but it seems to want to sag down some so the bolt doesn't pick up the round unless i fiddle with it. I need to put something in to hold it in place better.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Yeah, I spent the last two months looking for an extractor and never saw one anywhere.

Mine has the sheet metal clip inside, but it seems to want to sag down some so the bolt doesn't pick up the round unless i fiddle with it. I need to put something in to hold it in place better.

I am so mad I didn't buy, like, 10 of these when they were <$100.

Lesson learned.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I am so mad I didn't buy, like, 10 of these when they were <$100.

Lesson learned.

The M95M's were that cheap? Man!

I grabbed two of the 95/34's when they were around 100 and wish I would have gotten more. About two years ago SOG had them for 89.99 on their 12 days of Christmas sale.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

Thanks but that is for 8x56r, the M95M is in 8x57 caliber (8mm Mauser) and uses a different extractor, bolt head, barrel, handguard, rear sight, and the magazine "mechanism" is modified, as well as the receiver to accept 8mm Mauser stripper clips.

This place has the 8x56r extractors much cheaper than Apex, and I have ordered two as spares for my M95/34s and M95 carbine.

http://mg34.com/product/m-95-extractor/

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Back in 2013 I bought two M95/34's from SOG. The first one was regular price, 120 I believe, and was real nice. It is my shooter. I got another when they had them for sale for 89 bucks near Christmas.

When that one came, it was a Century import and already pretty well greased. I decided to just pack it away in the back of the safe in a Silicone sock, so I applied more RIG grease to it inside and out and put it away.

Yesterday I got it out just to check on it, see if I needed to put more grease on it, etc, and ran a swab through the bore. It came out BROWN.

The bore was rusted bad under the grease from whenever it was packed away overseas, after the refurb process I am guessing.

Good thing these rifles have very deep grooves. I ran some Naval jelly through it and ate away the rust, which is mostly on the sides of the grooves.

Pretty sad :(

There's plenty of rifling left, but man it looks bad.

What a bummer! I hate rust.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    fun to shoot but kill your shoulder:lol2:

Yeah, they are so light they really put the beatdown on you.

I load cast loads for mine which feel about like .223, but the jacketed loads have quite the punch. I usually put a recoil pad on mine for those, the buttplate is real small and easy to fit one of those slip-on recoil pads.

I hear the Nazi ammo is quite nasty. I have some but it's too cool to shoot!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah, they are so light they really put the beatdown on you.

I load cast loads for mine which feel about like .223, but the jacketed loads have quite the punch. I usually put a recoil pad on mine for those, the buttplate is real small and easy to fit one of those slip-on recoil pads.

I hear the Nazi ammo is quite nasty. I have some but it's too cool to shoot!

:thumbsup: I think the powder either turned into nitro glycerin or they hot load those rounds.:lol2: I think shooting this prob why my shoulder is messed up right now:o:innocent0

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    :thumbsup: I think the powder either turned into nitro glycerin or they hot load those rounds.:lol2: I think shooting this prob why my shoulder is messed up right now:o:innocent0

Has anyone chrono'd them to see why they have so much more perceived recoil?

You just need a good slip-on pad, like a decelerator. They make all the difference in the world, and it's not worth making your shoulder more messed up!

I have such bad joints, I always stretch my shoulder and neck real good before I shoot, or sometimes it comes back to haunt me later. I'm 34 and stuck in the body of a 80 year old.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I bought a 3-pack of VG M95/34's for $210, years back, from Century. With bayonets. One of my best C&R deals ever.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Has anyone chrono'd them to see why they have so much more perceived recoil?

You just need a good slip-on pad, like a decelerator. They make all the difference in the world, and it's not worth making your shoulder more messed up!

I have such bad joints, I always stretch my shoulder and neck real good before I shoot, or sometimes it comes back to haunt me later. I'm 34 and stuck in the body of a 80 year old.

i havent chrono'd them. But yeah i think the butt pad is a good idea with that particular gun and ammo...lol

I feel like Im 50+yrs old at 41:sad20: Lyme disease helped me with that:rolleyes::sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom