• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because DC never thought that a Judge whould throw a wrench into their plan. They never envisioned anyone applying other than a few folks.

The only reason I think they wouldn't is the wording that says you register your gun at the time of the CCW application. But one free registration is what they advise.

You may apply to register one handgun at the same time that you submit your
    Concealed Carry Pistol License application and you will not be charged the $13.00 firearm registration
    fee.
    good question though.

ETA-If they turned you down at the time you applied and you documented it, you might be eligible for the free one if you're later approved. Just a thought.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Is carrying more than one firearm permisable with a DC permit? I see the limitation on ammo.
    Thanks

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Great question. Suggest you email Sgt Hall and ask him if backup guns are a legitimate tool for lawful self defense.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I've been told by the MPD that the certificate showing you completed the law portion must be turned-in in person.

Looks like I gotta put in for time off again.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I've been told by the MPD that the certificate showing you completed the law portion must be turned-in in person.

Don't worry. You have 45 days to do so after approval :innocent0

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Notice I said carry, not transport.. You cannot carry if licensed and carrying. But if not in a car, it's OK to transport with a locked case.

words matter. I think the intent is carry means on your person. Transport does not.

From the DC law:

"(a) No person holding a license shall carry a pistol in the following locations or under
    the following circumstances

"
    "(6) Any public transportation vehicle, including the Metrorail transit system, but
    not including taxicab operators,

"
    From MPD web page:

Transporting a Firearm You Already Own for Registration

When transporting your firearm in a vehicle, it must be unloaded, with neither the firearm nor any ammunition readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition must be unloaded and contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. If you are transporting your firearm in a manner other than in a vehicle, it must be unloaded, inside a locked container, and separate from any ammunition.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Notice I said carry, not transport.. You cannot carry if licensed and carrying. But if not in a car, it's OK to transport with a locked case.

words matter. I think the intent is carry means on your person. Transport does not.

From the DC law:

From MPD web page:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Correct. I specifically asked this question on Sunday because of the difference between carry & transport, & the different words used in the legal presentation.

Here's the rub though. If you're "carrying" in a case, backpack, pose, etc. then one may surmise that the difference between carrying & transporting is whether or not the case/backpack/purse is locked. And probably whether the gun inside is loaded, unload, etc. Of course IANAL & we each bear our own risk.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Funny because I was told yesterday to mail the original and email the scanned copy to Sgt. Hall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I stopped by today to drop off my training certificates and to amend my application to include "G&S"...

No dice. They told me "No one has ever tried to amend an application before..."

So, I asked if they could find my application and add the additional documents...

The person there went down the hall, with my ID, returned in a few minutes with "Good News and Bad News..."

The Bad News? He couldn't find my application...

The Good News? It wasn't in either the "Pending" nor "Not Approved" piles, meaning that it must be currently under review...

Since he couldn't find my file, he wouldn't take the info...

So, I might get approved without it, since I submitted it before the stay. But if not, I'll appeal with the additional documents...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I stopped by today to drop off my training certificates and to amend my application to include "G&S"...

No dice. They told me "No one has ever tried to amend an application before..."

So, I asked if they could find my application and add the additional documents...

The person there went down the hall, with my ID, returned in a few minutes with "Good News and Bad News..."

The Bad News? He couldn't find my application...

The Good News? It wasn't in either the "Pending" nor "Not Approved" piles, meaning that it must be currently under review...

Since he couldn't find my file, he wouldn't take the info...

So, I might get approved without it, since I submitted it before the stay. But if not, I'll appeal with the additional documents...

Very interesting. Though it could mean they are trying to can the non-g&s apps.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I amended my application with a copy of my SAF card. Then again, maybe I didn't.. Who knows..

So did they take the training certificate or just tell you to wait for a decision first?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Correct. I specifically asked this question on Sunday because of the difference between carry & transport, & the different words used in the legal presentation.

Here's the rub though. If you're "carrying" in a case, backpack, pose, etc. then one may surmise that the difference between carrying & transporting is whether or not the case/backpack/purse is locked. And probably whether the gun inside is loaded, unload, etc. Of course IANAL & we each bear our own risk.

Well the statute also says if you are licensed to carry and you are in fact carrying. My thought would be if you are licensed to carry and you are carrying a loaded firearm, then you are breaking the law. If all you have is a firearm with no ammo in a locked case, then you are transporting the firearm. The other distinction is whether you have a permit or not. The statute address carry with a permit. You might be able to make a case that "carry" is actually transport if the case is locked and there is no ammunition and you have no permit. The other fact would be where you were headed when stopped. That's why a phone call to MPDC FRS before going seems like a prudent plan..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom