• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    But we still look like nutcakes to most Marylanders. If we can show that this is perfectly normal for most Americans and that there is no reason for it to be any more or less complicated than something we all do then we can become normal here as well.
    We need to show that Maryland is the anomoly and make them wonder why.

We've pretty well proved it by possessing out-of-state permits. How many ways can we say we're the same people irrespective on what side of the state border we're on?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I think that we need to help them 'craft' the training requirements, else they'll use their typical NIH approach that will require multiple hurdles and exorbitant fees like NY.

Strongly suggest that they look NOT to their progressive brethern from NY and CA for guidance, but to the 40+ states who already do this, UT and FL being the best examples. Even better, license our Industry Partners Firearms Training to offer a MD-specific CCW course, then get out of the way.

I can just hear the gears turning in Frosh and Owe'Malley's heads when they finally get backed into a corner on this. When the inevitable happens ... how can they make money from it.

Without being too repetitive - Maryland does NOT require training to obtain a permit now. If the system has been acceptable all these many years, why would we suggest further intrusion by the state? Current training required to purchase a firearm should suffice. This from someone with six out-of-state permits, several of which accept a DD214 and Hunter Safety Certificate as proof of training. And yes, I've pursued additional training on my own...that is a totally different ball of wax.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I wonder if they'll ever try passing a law to get gun safety taught in school again. What a shame that O'Malley vetoed it, just because he was scared that people who've actually touched a gun before would be teaching kids not to shoot each other.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wonder what justification they would try to use given there is no training requirement now? The overwhelming number of ND's occurring even now that still continue to require no training?

IMO none needed now, none needed when carry becomes legal. Let's not open that can of worms. It will be just be used a stalling tactic towards implementation by the state. They decided training is not required. Let's leave it that way.

My .02

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I wonder if they'll ever try passing a law to get gun safety taught in school again. What a shame that O'Malley vetoed it, just because he was scared that people who've actually touched a gun before would be teaching kids not to shoot each other.

Hoplophobia is part of many Maryland politicians' DNA. Glendenning order DNR to trash newly printed (and expensive) student hunter safety manuals because the front cover depicted a father and young daughter carrying a shotgun in the field.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Thank you to all who went and stood up for our 2nd amendment yesterday. I've been able to get quite a few people to change their opinions lately and they have been sending emails.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

basic gun safety might still be taught in some schools :innocent0

We dodged a bullet with the training requirement just to buy a handgun. It is a free course offered to all(with access to a computer and printer). The problem with training that costs money, or training that may not be readily obtained is that it is cost and time prohibitive. You're now requiring a family that's struggling to pay rent and keep lights on to come up with $70-150 JUST TO EXERCISE A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE. Also, imagine ways the state will use the training requirement to restrict things in the future. Think chess strategy a few moves ahead.

If training is required to get a permit this is my fear for how the antis will use that to their advantage.
    1)Get control over training: argue that the state stands to make more revenue and will have more control over content if the state is the entity offering the training
    2)cost prohibitive: make the training expensive=cost prohibitive. Are you willing to/can you pay $500 every 3 years to renew your permit? How many can afford that JUST TO EXERCISE THE RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE.
    3)Time prohibitive: Since training is run by the state , they get to decide when and where training happens. They can restrict it to two classes of 30 a year and hold it way out in western md.
    4) Can still keep it as it is: since classes can be limited, they can just use pull to fill the classes with their elite buddies to limit access to the class instead of having control over a good and substantial reason
    5) Can stop concealed carry all together: Machine guns are legal, as long as they're registered...only problem is the registry was defunded and shut down. Now you can only get one that was registered before it was shut down. In a bad budget year(seems to happen whenever the governor has a "D" next to his name for some reason), they could just defund the training and stop any further licenses

....get my point. Why would we willingly give the other side the means to attack us in the future?

That's in addition to the fact that self defense is every bit as much a right as free speech or freedom of religion. I'd like to hear them argue that we need to be licensed and go through classes before being able to exercise free speech or practice our own faith.

"But guns are different because you can't kill someone with free speech"
    1) yes you can
    2) there's laws against killing people that can be used if someone does that using a gun.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...IMO none needed now, none needed when carry becomes legal. Let's not open that can of worms. It will be just be used a stalling tactic towards implementation by the state. They decided training is not required. Let's leave it that way.

This.

Do not bring it up. Don't mention training at all.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I liked the innocent until proven guilty, but I didn't like how they let the MSP spin it off about issuing and revoking permits.

I also see the MSP will not change anything if the burden is shifted to them to disprove. They are reading Smiegel's bill the same way I'm reading it, which is 60,000 trillion miles away from how he's reading it.

I love these guys, their opening statement to the committee was that they were there to oppose the bill eliminating G&S. Then the proceed to answer Smiegel's questions about their opinion on GS being arbitrary and they state that they are not there to offer opinions on legislation as that would be a bad precedent since they only enforce the laws. What!????? What Crap:mad54:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    When will the Judiciary committee discuss and vote on these bills? Assuming the Chairman doesn't desk drawer any of them.

This really pisses me off that its just an accepted option to literally crumple the bill up and throw it out, no other process required.......?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    When will the Judiciary committee discuss and vote on these bills? Assuming the Chairman doesn't desk drawer any of them.

Unknown. It's all up to Vallario at this point. Our next step in this process is to urge the good chairman to give our bills an up/down vote in his committee.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    There is the major malfunction of this whole process...

In theory it's a decent enough system, allowing for truly pointless bills to die in committee without wasting the entire House/Senate's time on the matter should the bill have managed to come out of committee in the first place, but the power of the desk drawer veto has become politicized, something that was not originally intended. Instead of being used as a way to streamline the political process, it's just another way for a politico to wield power.

However, those are the cards we've been dealt, so we've got to play them.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Hey...that's me being dissed!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I used the :rolleyes: because Luis Simmons was doing it all day.

Bear in mind Luiz Simmons is the same class act who questioned the credibility of Amy Castillo (the woman whose three kids were drowned by her ex after she had been denied a protective order from him) on the grounds of when the last time she had sex with him was. Yep, that's little Luiz, a real class act.

http://dumpluizsimmons.blogspot.com/2010/03/attention-maryland-you-have-some-pigs.html

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Unknown. It's all up to Vallario at this point. Our next step in this process is to urge the good chairman to give our bills an up/down vote in his committee.

Just sent and email to Vallario,

Honorable Chairman,

I am writing to thank you for your thoughtful attention to the House bills presented to your committee on 2/21/2012. Now that you have heard testimony from both sides I am urging you allow the democratic process to play out as our founding fathers intended. Bring House bills HB45, HB430, HB488 and HB1135 up for a vote in the committee and allow a vote up or down. I also ask you to vote for a favorable report on these bills.

Maryland is now in a distinct minority. 41 states in the Union are “Shall issue” and Maryland is at best a “May issue” but more like “No Issue” for most people. Maryland does not allow due process to its citizens regarding the conceal carry permit process. It assumes we are guilty of a crime and therefore we should be denied our fundamental 2nd Amendment rights. We have to prove we are worthy of permit, whereas 41 other states assume we are entitled to a conceal carry permit and the state has the burden to prove otherwise. HB45 and HB430 specifically address this 2 class system of discrimination and the arbitrary and capricious nature of Maryland permit process.

Again I thank you for your time an attention and look forward to your support on the above bills.

Sincerely,

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    basic gun safety might still be taught in some schools :innocent0

We dodged a bullet with the training requirement just to buy a handgun. It is a free course offered to all(with access to a computer and printer). The problem with training that costs money, or training that may not be readily obtained is that it is cost and time prohibitive. You're now requiring a family that's struggling to pay rent and keep lights on to come up with $70-150 JUST TO EXERCISE A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE. Also, imagine ways the state will use the training requirement to restrict things in the future. Think chess strategy a few moves ahead.

et/. etc.p

I'm just talking about the bill that would mandate gun safety being a part of schol currilcula, not a purchasing or licensing requirement or anything. I'm all for teachin gun safety to little kids who won't get any input other than video games and gangs and movies and all that siht

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom