• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    for Christmas I would like to get my GF some range time with an Instructor. She knows all the basics, but can't seem to translate that to the range, which lately has led to more and more frustrating range sessions. Looking for recommendations for instructors that could meet at Continental/Freestate or privately and that also won't break the bank. Not interested in classes.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    While I'm not in the Baltimore area I would be happy to help. Send me a PM to discuss details.

Just out of curosity did you check with Free State to see if they have an instructor on staff that could help?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Shoot me a PM, I can do something right in the Carney area for her.

No Jim, didn't go off grid man. Still gotta do the day job thing. :)

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    While I'm not in the Baltimore area I would be happy to help. Send me a PM to discuss details.

Just out of curosity did you check with Free State to see if they have an instructor on staff that could help?

FreeState did have one of our IPs (Parbreak i.e. Brian Fletcher) as their training contact. As far as I know he is still there.

I stayed out of the thread as it looked like the OP wanted to stay in the other end of the county from me.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    thanks for the all the info and PMs. When I say basics, I mean stance, grip, trigger pull, breathing, follow-through, site picture, ect. I think it's one of those things where it's best if it's coming from someone else if ya know what I mean. I'm interested in doing something after the holidays and once I've replaced her sights, so I'll reach out.

thanks again for all the help

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    Freestate will do ad hoc class for 1 hour to cover the basics you've outlined. Usually 1:1 by default. Providing basic instruction (by a credentialed instructor) at Freestate 'in the lane' is a no-no and for an instructor to rent the space needed would put the price around $500, and the class time before opening or near the closing.

The class by Dr Bob is just fine and cost around $75 for the hour.

Once they have the basics, nearly all of the IP's here (myself included) would be happy to provide 'coaching' range time.

-Chuck

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Freestate will do ad hoc class for 1 hour to cover the basics you've outlined. Usually 1:1 by default. Providing basic instruction (by a credentialed instructor) at Freestate 'in the lane' is a no-no and for an instructor to rent the space needed would put the price around $500, and the class time before opening or near the closing.

Once they have the basics, nearly all of the IP's here (myself included) would be happy to provide 'coaching' range time.

-Chuck

Not sure what your talking about here?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

-Chuck

So, what you are saying is someone may not meet another at Freestate and give them pointers while out on the range?

Not sure how you would know if money changed hands between those who met there. Or if even for free.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Who knows what that was about. Lane rental is lane rental. I have taken people there and given them instruction and pointers and shared a lane.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have been told the same thing at Freestate and another bel air range, I can't take someone in who I have taught formally to do any part of the class work. I have taken many to the range to help out, but I guess if it looks like you are qualifying someone that get mad.

TD

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    That's tough sh*t. If you are paying the rental fee, who cares who is sharing a lane. If this is accurate, this is a very bad policy.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    They tried this with me at Continental. I'd gone to the range with a neighbor, who'd just picked up a new pistol purchased there. We shared a lane & I gave him lots of pointers. He shot his pistols, I shot mine. No money changed hands. As we're leaving, one of the employees shoved this piece of paper at me, then told me I owed them money for the range time (I'm a member). My neighbor & I looked at him like he was speaking martian. Told him he was wrong, that I wasn't paying him anything, that he could get one of the owners. I didn't pay them any more $.

I understand an arrangement should be made with the range if you're going to provide formal &/or classroom training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom