• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm thinking of joining one of the Associated Gun Clubs. From looking at the AGC web site, it seems they provide military frames for the 200 yard range. Do they also provide backer boards and targets?

How about the other ranges? Do they provide frames, or do members bring their own home made frames? Ditto on backers and targets.

Any details on frame types (sleds or into the ground), targets, etc., would be appreciated!

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    In the 200yd pit house, there's a stack of frames available for practice use with cardboard backers and a well shot up SR target (200 yd Short Range, Military-type) that can be mounted in the carriers. Bring a suitable target or repair center to staple on to the cardboard. The good frames are under lock and key for match use.

The 100 yard range has fixed points at 25, 50 and 100 yards. The spacing is 14" apart. You can buy a frame from the range officer or make your own. You can also make a "sled" to hold it a a variable distance (greater than 25 yards please)

On the pistol range, there are metal frames (bring cardboard backer) for use at 25 and 50 yards for bullseye type targets. Do not mount anything other than a single, centered target in these frames to avoid risk of striking the frame and causing a ricochet.

At 7, 10 and 15 yards there are movable pipes that again have the 14" spacing for your own target frame.

As always make sure the target is correctly positioned to insure an impact on the berm.

The 100 yard range has fixed points at 25, 50 and 100 yards. The spacing is 14" apart. You can buy a frame from the range officer or make your own. You can also make a "sled" to hold it a a variable distance (greater than 25 yards please)
    Is there a limit on how wide the frame can be? I understand the base is 14 inches, but can the frame itself be 18 or more inches wide?

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    As for frames at the AGC:
    The holes in the ground are 14 inches apart set in cement. The AGC sells three different frame sizes for 25 dollars each. There is the standard 14 in wide folding frame. A 24 in wide frame that will work on both the 100yrd range and the pistol range so you can shoot at 7yrds and out. The last size is a 36 inch wide frame. The last two break down to about 45 inches by what ever width you choose. These frames are made by the Junior programs as a fund raiser. You should be able to bring a free standing frame to use as long as it is not made from metal and your rounds impact the berm. Just make sure to show it to the RSO before you set it out to avoid any problems. You can also use these frames on the 200yrd range only at the 200yrd mark. There are supports to set your target frame in.

As for metal targets:
    Range Rules #11 states the use of steel targets.
    Shooting the spinners, clangers, and gongs are a lot of fun. The Juniors program from Arlington sells a real nice clanger. You can buy just the metal or it comes in a free standing frame as a package deal. At the next Arlington meeting I'll take a picture of the clanger and try to post it. Currently my clanger is in need of repair. The wood needs to be replaced, the metal is in need of a good cleaning, and repaint.

hope that helps
    Damifinow fish

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    As for frames at the AGC:
    The holes in the ground are 14 inches apart set in cement. The AGC sells three different frame sizes for 25 dollars each. There is the standard 14 in wide folding frame. A 24 in wide frame that will work on both the 100yrd range and the pistol range so you can shoot at 7yrds and out. The last size is a 36 inch wide frame. The last two break down to about 45 inches by what ever width you choose. These frames are made by the Junior programs as a fund raiser. You should be able to bring a free standing frame to use as long as it is not made from metal and your rounds impact the berm. Just make sure to show it to the RSO before you set it out to avoid any problems. You can also use these frames on the 200yrd range only at the 200yrd mark. There are supports to set your target frame in.

As for metal targets:
    Range Rules #11 states the use of steel targets.
    Shooting the spinners, clangers, and gongs are a lot of fun. The Juniors program from Arlington sells a real nice clanger. You can buy just the metal or it comes in a free standing frame as a package deal. At the next Arlington meeting I'll take a picture of the clanger and try to post it. Currently my clanger is in need of repair. The wood needs to be replaced, the metal is in need of a good cleaning, and repaint.

hope that helps
    Damifinow fish

The wood frames they sell are very nice. If you're like me though, at some point they end up with duct tape to replace missing chunks of wood. R.O.'s will sell them to you at any time. I only have the 14" wide version due to my tiny trunk on my car.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Mark392001

If you are on the range when Arlington is having an event look me up. I have a frame that works well at the AGC, packs up very small, and is next to impossible to blow apart. My frame has about a dozen holes in it from 12 gauge slug holes, 50 cal BMG holes, and tons of stray rounds. The thing is about ten years old. Our Jr's will be selling them as a special order frame.

Damifinow Fish

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Mark392001

If you are on the range when Arlington is having an event look me up. I have a frame that works well at the AGC, packs up very small, and is next to impossible to blow apart. My frame has about a dozen holes in it from 12 gauge slug holes, 50 cal BMG holes, and tons of stray rounds. The thing is about ten years old. Our Jr's will be selling them as a special order frame.

Damifinow Fish

I'm interested, tell me more, what are the dimensions roughly, and how high can I place a target on it? I'm 6'7" so most of the frames require me to be seated or prone to hit the dirt berm, but I would love one I can shoot standing up.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    These are made long enough to fit in your car. If you can put a 14x48in piece of cardboard in your car then we can make you a frame that will be 72 inches high, which I believe is the recommend maximum height of an AGC frame. This frame is a two piece pocket design. The top sits into a pocket in the base. NO screws to loose. To set up just drop the base into the holes in the ground, drop the top into the base and walk back to the firing line. Simple! This frame is about 1 1/2 inch thick by what ever will fit in your car or 48 inches. It will come with 2 tops, one 14 inches wide, and the other 24 inches wide. After hunting season is over I'll be more then happy to meet you at the range to look at this to see if it will work for you. (I need reasons to go to the range) Next week I'll be at the range Tues. and Wed. in the late afternoon/evening if you should be in the area.

Damifinow fish

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    These are made long enough to fit in your car. If you can put a 14x48in piece of cardboard in your car then we can make you a frame that will be 72 inches high, which I believe is the recommend maximum height of an AGC frame. This frame is a two piece pocket design. The top sits into a pocket in the base. NO screws to loose. To set up just drop the base into the holes in the ground, drop the top into the base and walk back to the firing line. Simple! This frame is about 1 1/2 inch thick by what ever will fit in your car or 48 inches. It will come with 2 tops, one 14 inches wide, and the other 24 inches wide. After hunting season is over I'll be more then happy to meet you at the range to look at this to see if it will work for you. (I need reasons to go to the range) Next week I'll be at the range Tues. and Wed. in the late afternoon/evening if you should be in the area.

Damifinow fish

Might have to wait until hunting season is over, by the time the range closes on weeknights I'm still working. Saturdays or Sundays are my best days, I'll let you know when I'll be out there next.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Pictures of the my spinner and gong.

I'll see if I can post a picture of my target frame.

Damifinow fish

Attachments

• new spinning target.jpg
      new spinning target.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 940
    • new gong target.jpg
      new gong target.jpg
      136.8 KB · Views: 941

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    This is the frame I spoke of earlier today. It can be made to fit into any size car. I had to design this frame when I was stuck driving my wife's little Honda Civic. I had a love hate relationship with that car for too long.

The top was just a piece of card board cut to size for the picture. I use stronger material for the top.

Damifinow fish

Attachments

• target frame 1 002.jpg
      target frame 1 002.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 930
    • target frame 1 003.jpg
      target frame 1 003.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 929
    Thanks everybody for the information and especially the pictures. I am assuming that the pipes in the ground are 2 inches inside diameter. Correct? Nonetheless, I'll probably buy a frame at the range first and go on from there.

I have three nice target sleds for my "home range" that I can drag back and forth with a rope loop. Six feet tall, and 24 or 36 inches wide. But, they are not very portable.

My "home range" is 100 yards long with a stout shooting table. But, I am not comfortable shooting my .308 rifles there.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    What're the rules for steel?

I've got some ar500 (set up with 30 degree down) I use at Quantico, would be nice if I could set that up...

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I just use the 14" wide target that they sell at the range house. I have been meaning to add a "T" to it so I can mount three targets, but I find that by the time the 1/2 hour ceasefire comes around, I am ready to change targets anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom