• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    For many years, my daughter showed no interest in learning how to shoot. Now at 18, she said she was ready to learn. So this morning we went to MSAR. Spent the first 20 minutes going over safety items, stance, grip, site picture etc. Then the next hour, shooting from 5-7 yards. While finishing up, I set the target out at 25 yards and took 5 shots. Brought the targetinto show how much more difficult it was. Then had her take 5. The shots with the K are hers.

Attachments

• 25yds.jpg
      25yds.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 551

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Just got back from the range with mine, too. Took out a Taurus .357 Magnum.

"Nice gun, Dad. Gotta replace those grips, though. Too slippery on a hot day like today. Other than that, it's great."

Used to be she was nervous about trying something new. Now, she's eager as hell.

And a critic! :)

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Nice dad!! Beat ya bad! ;)

No Sh*t.

She sent me a text during the day today "Dad, can we go to the range when you get home from work?"

This is a girl that has gone from being an almost Anti to "maybe I can get good enough to compete!"

Patience and persistence wins the race!

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    mxrider,

Good on ya! I was lucky enough to do the exact same thing last year when my daughter turned 18. It is one of my fondest memories so far. She out-shot me as well :) Thought that she'd prefer the .22 revolver, but nope. The CZ-75 was her favorite!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    lol - you put it out to 25 yards to show her how much harder it is, and then she went ahead and showed you how much easier it can be. I am smiling ear to ear here.

Attended my 8 year old daughter's dance recital on Friday and when we got home we started talking about our passions. Like she is passionate about dance and theater. So, I told her that I have always been passionate about hunting, shooting, fishing, and cycling since I was about 5 years old. She said, but dad, you weren't shooting a real gun by the time you were my age were you. I told her that not only was I shooting a small shotgun, but that I was hunting by the time I was 8. Granted, not killing much, but out hunting. Her response, "When are we going to get me a shotgun dad?"

I need to find more time to shoot with my kids. My 6 year old son and I are going trap shooting on Father's Day. He has been bugging me about it. Stopped by AGC one Saturday after working on the truck while taking it for a test ride with him in it. Some guys were just finishing up shooting and he wanted to watch. They were literally done as we finished parking. So, I have been hearing about it for over a month now.

Good on all you guys that are taking your kids out shooting.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    I cant wait until my little girl is old enough to come out with me. She's about to turn 3 months, so I understand that I got quite a while to wait still. What age is generally considered appropriate for shooting?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    For many years, my daughter showed no interest in learning how to shoot. Now at 18, she said she was ready to learn. So this morning we went to MSAR. Spent the first 20 minutes going over safety items, stance, grip, site picture etc. Then the next hour, shooting from 5-7 yards. While finishing up, I set the target out at 25 yards and took 5 shots. Brought the targetinto show how much more difficult it was. Then had her take 5. The shots with the K are hers.

That's outstanding! :thumbsup:

MAYBE, she'll invite you back!;)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I cant wait until my little girl is old enough to come out with me. She's about to turn 3 months, so I understand that I got quite a while to wait still. What age is generally considered appropriate for shooting?

Depends on their maturity. I was shooting a pellet gun with my dad since I can recall and was using a .410 shotgun at around 5, maybe 6 years of age with his help. I know I was shooting it on my own when I was in 2nd grade.

My daughter got a pink pellet gun for her 6th birthday. I owe my son a blue pellet gun for his 6th birthday.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Yep. One of my daughters can out-shoot me to an embarassing level with her .40 Glock I gave her. :-). Still one proud papa, regardless. Thank goodness I am better with my long guns.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    My daughter is 13 and had been plinking with the .22 and handguns for a few years now. Just had her first outing ever shooting trap and skeet last weekend with a 20 gauge and she was hitting targets. She loved it and is looking forward to the next outing.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    No Sh*t.

She sent me a text during the day today "Dad, can we go to the range when you get home from work?"

This is a girl that has gone from being an almost Anti to "maybe I can get good enough to compete!"

Patience and persistence wins the race!

Ain't nothing better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom