• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    This'd probably also fit in the NFA forum, but since I'm (presently) more concerned with performance than legalities, I thought I'd start here..

I'm ruminating over whether to SBS the VEPR. I've done a bit of research and remain confused as to whether shortening its barrel (clipping it just past the gas block) would cause function problems? The shotgun's used for home defense as well as a range toy, so I don't wanna do anything that'd make it less reliable. That said, in stock form, its a bit unwieldy in the home.

Also, depending on the conclusions drawn from SBS'ing, I might also consider suppressing it. But that's for bonus points.
    Anyone with experience?

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I have a SBS Saiga 12. It is a Tromix gun with an 8 inch barrel. Not sure how similar they are, but you would be more than welcome to take a look at it.

That said, short barreled 12 guages are obnoxiously loud and throw a fireball that is almost unreal. There are a couple pics of mine being fired in the Dottrio shooting event thread that were posted by Daemon Assassin.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I have a SBS Saiga 12. It is a Tromix gun with an 8 inch barrel. Not sure how similar they are, but you would be more than welcome to take a look at it.

It's essentially the same action, so they outta be similar.

That said, short barreled 12 guages are obnoxiously loud and throw a fireball that is almost unreal. There are a couple pics of mine being fired in the Dottrio shooting event thread that were posted by Daemon Assassin.

I saw that, which is one of the reasons I'm considering a silencer as well. Having to fire a shotgun indoors (in the event of an emergency) is bad enough, but firing a shotgun that's "obnoxiously loud" with a "fireball" is probably a bit of a deal-breaker. Thanks for your input.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    It's essentially the same action, so they outta be similar.

I saw that, which is one of the reasons I'm considering a silencer as well. Having to fire a shotgun indoors (in the event of an emergency) is bad enough, but firing a shotgun that's "obnoxiously loud" with a "fireball" is probably a bit of a deal-breaker. Thanks for your input.

heck, to me that just makes the whole proposition even more attractive!:lol::lol:

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    heck, to me that just makes the whole proposition even more attractive!:lol::lol:

For fun, I couldn't agree more. But in an emergency, when I'd wanna have as many of my senses in good working order as is possible, not so much.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm in the same boat, very tempted to chop a folding VEPR-12 to SBS status.

When in doubt, my litmus test is military adoption. SBRs and PD weapons are of limited usefulness, SBSs even less.

Then there's the "why not" argument and the "hell yes" argument. Can't argue with those. Reliability issues can be overcome by shortening barrels, but the real question is what what problem do you want to solve by doing so?

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    My understanding is that a folding VEPR is prohibited in the PRM.

I've heard this to, something about folding stocks on semi-autos shotties from the original AWB. To tired to look it up right now. I do know people in PA that have done it.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I've heard this to, something about folding stocks on semi-autos shotties from the original AWB. To tired to look it up right now. I do know people in PA that have done it.

It's a MD thing, part of the firearms safety act. Copycat weapon includes a semi automatic shotgun with folding stock. If you owned the VEPR w/ folder before 10/01/2013 I see no problem with the SBS having a folding stock, but as of now it's a no go in MD.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    It's a MD thing, part of the firearms safety act. Copycat weapon includes a semi automatic shotgun with folding stock. If you owned the VEPR w/ folder before 10/01/2013 I see no problem with the SBS having a folding stock, but as of now it's a no go in MD.

Nate, from the wording on the MDSP site, it sounds like a general shotgun thing (i.e., no folding stocks on shotguns), not specific to semi-autos. But I could be wrong.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, as others have said post-Oct 13 folders are verboten. Luckily I got mine before then.

However if you are creating an SBS then it falls under the purview of Fed law, so features become irrelevant... yes? Just like you can still own an SBS AK with a folding stock and flash supressor... because that's regulated by Fed laws, not state?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Nate, from the wording on the MDSP site, it sounds like a general shotgun thing (i.e., no folding stocks on shotguns), not specific to semi-autos. But I could be wrong.

That page is full of incorrect information, unfortunately.

§ 4-301(e) Copycat weapon. -- (1) "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following: 1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds; (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Yes, as others have said post-Oct 13 folders are verboten. Luckily I got mine before then.

However if you are creating an SBS then it falls under the purview of Fed law, so features become irrelevant... yes? Just like you can still own an SBS AK with a folding stock and flash supressor... because that's regulated by Fed laws, not state?

No, an SBR of a semiautomatic center fire rifle must be over 29" and have no more than one feature. The copycat state laws apply in addition to federal law.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Wait...Even a pre-FSA2013 shotgun WITH an SBS tax stamp STILL has to be 29"OAL? I thought the federal rules applied when it became a SBS.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

I can confirm this :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom