If you had the time to learn a new trade... ideas please??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I actualy like what i do . I fix things and people appreciate it . Ive burned bodies,worked on a loading , and worked at beth steel and other odd jobs here and there. Ive been in maintenance for 8 years now and i still dont mind waking up to go to work in the morning .

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    The math thing could be a problem if you want you decide to do any science related degrees. Even biology majors still have to take calculus.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Welding. Not because I'd like to make a living at it. But because it seems the cool stuff, at some point or another, requires welding. Watching shows like Mythbusters or Junk Yard Wars convinces me that if you can weld, you can make ANYTHING.

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    I'm in I.T., but if I could completely start over again, I'd go into healthcare.

You can literally get a job anywhere in the world if you pick the right specialization, education, and get some experience.

If it was me, I'd try to do something that specializes in geriatric care.

I.T. is hit or miss when you're trying to start out. You really start out at the bottom rung and, even then, it's hard to find a job. The usual everyone wants people with experience, but how do you get experience if you can't get a job kind of thing.

ETA - and while it's true that everything uses computers, I don't really believe that translates into more jobs. Nobody can predict the future, but with virtualization you really don't need as many systems administrator types to run most shops. And, if the whole "cloud" thing really takes off, most companies probably aren't going to have in-house I.T. people.

If you do get into I.T., my recommendation is to start with networking and do it for a few years. Networks are the backbone to everything and no matter where you go from there, a strong understanding will always help.

After that, try to move into security. Security is the one field that I think will really grow in the next 5-10 years...especially if all these sites keep getting hacked. :D

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I've seen several people mention that I should just get a job with a Korean company doing XXX and learn a new trade.

Korea won't allow a foreigner to get most jobs unless the locals are either:

1. Unwilling to do them (Dirty/Dangerous jobs)
    2. Not trained to do them

Basically, a business has to prove that a foreigner is the only choice for a position before they'll be allowed a visa to work in that job. Even though I am now here on a marriage visa, companies still apply the same logic.

That, and there are basically few trade unions here (if any?) that control standards of work, other than in things like auto manufacturing jobs, and then they're all about money and little or nothing about improving quality.

The job hiring thing is something I like to note when I mention that the USA is not on a level playing field with the rest of the world, and prostitutes itself out so much, burning its own people so the rich just get richer.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I had always intended to become a high school band director. My initial plan was to do my 3 year Army stint, and then go back home to Nebraska using GI Bill money to help me finance my music education degree.

Then life happened.

I met my wife on the 2 year mark of my 3 year enlistment, and instead of getting out and going back to Nebraska, I got married, stayed here, did 7 more years in the Army band program at the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and had 2 kids in the process.

The problem with a music education degree is that due to the way it's structured with rehearsals and the classes that are offered, you can't do it part time at night - you have to go full time during the daytime. I have never been in a position to where I could quit working to go back and do that, and at this point I make WAY more than I would as a teacher. (Currently a database administrator)

But to answer the question, that's it for me - if I had it to do over again, I'd follow through on my dream to be a music educator.

Well I am a High School Band Director and I can say it is one of the most rewarding and most frustrating jobs. That being said I am happy I went down this path. Not sure if I will stay at the High School level, done it for 15 years now, but I do enjoy teaching and being in music is very cool. Dont feel like writting about all the issue with education, and I am sure I woudl retire before I was finished with the post if I did.:o

On the other hand, a part of me wishes I would have tried my hand at Law Enforcement. My father was a LEO and I think any son has a small part of them thinking it would be cool to follow in their dads footsteps. I think I would have enjoyed it and might have been an ok police officer. If Md had real aux. police officers, like in other places like Va., I would join up. To bad really, prob a lot of people out their that would be good at multiple things.

TD

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    HVAC is for the birds, whatever you do don't go into it. It's a thankless dirty job, I have yet to find an owner/operator who knows their ass from a hole in the ground, you work late constantly, you have no set schedule and you are on duty rotation. You work hardest when it's summer and nice out and are constantly getting bitched at by both the office and the homeowner. You can expect pay in the $30-50K range, with some long time or high selling techs making around $65K but with no work life balance.

I'd like to try gunsmithing, but it is incredibly difficult to make past minimum wage after the chips fall. Having said that I went back to school in January after ten years in the workforce and am majoring in management development at the local CC. I plan on transferring out to finish in farm and ranch management/wildlife conservation/forestry.

Although you have to balance what you love to do with income, think about the things you liked to do as a kid. There is a saying that you always return to what you know. I spent my youth in the fields and woods and wanted a career in natural resources before my parents talked me out of it. Probably my single biggest regret thus far.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom