• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    lets see College degree in Business, middle credit score 805, currently cleared, I should fare well, but its just too big of a pay cut now

SRTMO

Apr 29, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    How old will you be when you retire from your current job? That's something to think about. Some places won't hire you if you can't be there long enough to get a retirement. Others will hire you and let you stay until you reach maximum age. If you meet maximum age and can't get a retirement, you better be maxing out you deferred compensation contributions but, in this economy, that has been taking a huge hit.

RaginCajun

A Second Amendment Sister
    Apr 12, 2009
    Randallstown
    Amen.. the paycut is way too much! I could not do that position. I give much respect to anyone in law enforcement or military! It takes a brave soul to hold a position where you are underpaid and disrepected by folks!

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    mmmmmm interesting. I might apply for this. Been thinking of getting back in with the Federales to get my military time and get an early retirement paycheck....
    I made it pass the Poli down here with LLEA, but i was not a good old boy. So i was skiped and offered a spot on the next class. Well money got good on the current job, and i push it aside.

I am just not sure if i want to drive all the way to DC :bigwhoop:

I'll take the pay cut, just to get the benefits.

What say you Tom, you in??? I rather go at with someone i know.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    mmmmmm interesting. I might apply for this. Been thinking of getting back in with the Federales to get my military time and get an early retirement paycheck....

Just FYI, I think the way USSS does it is that you still have to do the regular number of years to retire, 20 years and age 50 or 25 years and any age. If you have military time that you want credit for you "buy back" a portion of that time at relativly low cost. At the end of your career, the bought back time is added on.

For those if you looking at the pay cut I would think two things. The first is that it's good starting money for a cop, better than most places that I know of. It's not as good as private sector money admitidly. Second point is the job security aspect. I just can't see them laying off Secret Service Officers.

Now, wyomingboy makes a good point about the nature of the work. Knowing guys who've worked for USSS and USCP, it is security oriented work with Federal authority but a limited jurisdiction. For a 21 year old guy that just wants to kick ass and drive fast, go somewhere else first, get it out of your blood and then go there.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Joppa is right about the military time. You can retire at 50 years if you have 20 years of service or mandatory at 55. They add the military time you bought back onto the end of you retirement to give you a final amount of years in the federal system.
    The job is definitely more security oriented but you'll get to do some traveling (national and international) and see things you wouldn't ever get to see anywhere else. Plus there are specialized positions such as countersniper, canine, etc. after a few years.
    As for taking a pay cut, you can work overtime here and there to make extra money...12 hr shifts for work days off. I know most people make about 1.5x their salary their first year.
    Hope that helps a bit.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    My buddy is in the uniformed division and loves it. They get tons of overtime and he is clearing 6 figures with the overtime. But it seems like a hectic schedule, he has been on the same shift for 8 years working nights. The only plus i saw to it besides the travel is he gets to carry anywhere he wants, even on a plane.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The bonus for any government job is the benefits, not the take home salary. You've got a guaranteed pension, plus medical benefits. If you start early and retire as soon as possible, you can collect your pension then work in the private sector for a few years before really retiring.

My buddy is in the uniformed division and loves it. They get tons of overtime and he is clearing 6 figures with the overtime. But it seems like a hectic schedule, he has been on the same shift for 8 years working nights. The only plus i saw to it besides the travel is he gets to carry anywhere he wants, even on a plane.

UD is tough work...I used to have a gaggle of former UD officers working for me as agents at NSA and they came there because of "burn-out"...long hours and travel. I did protective work off and on for 25 years and it can be really boring and difficult on family life. I left my wife the day my 2nd son was born to do support for a visit by #1 Bush and I still get crap for it...and that was 18 years ago.

I set up the dog program for NSA and worked with the UD handlers for a number of years...if you are young and single and want to travel it is OK, but it is tough on the body and mind unless you are working in a stable location with fixed shifts....still...it's not a bad life if you can put up with it.

ICE is also hiring, but depending upon what you are doing, that can be a boring place to be as well, but can be used as a spring board to something better.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have a friend who's a UD officer. He doesn't like it too much. I just turned in an application for the hell of it.

borntoserve

Jan 18, 2011
    I am about to apply to the UD and the job has not been posted to the usa jobs website yet what is the title for the UD Officer? on the website does anyone know

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    It could when things are slow. Normally it is one year.

Look on the Secret Service website to see of there is a link to the app.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Pro: Thirty-eight years with DoD, many tickets above TS, two degrees and a black belt.

Con: 70yrs old and no desire to drive fast or kick ass.

Probably best if I read the morning paper, work the cross-word puzzle and leave security to you guys <g>.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The problem with UD, is the retirement pay. Retirement percentage is based on your high 3 salary during your 20 years. for those unfamiliar, they take your highest 3 years of salary, add it, divide by 3 and use that result as the "salary"' number of which your percentage is based on. True, UD has mandatory OTand many make 100k+, but your overtime does not get calculated into your high 3, just your base salary. So say your high 3 has been 40k,50k, and 60k. SALARY, not including OT (you would be easily making 30k or more ot each year).
    your high 3 salary average would be based on 40k. NOT 70,80 or 90K (because of the ot). Hope this is clear as mud.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom